Subject: Re: wu-ftpd 2.4 and system V Release 4

From: Michel Colin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 19:17:08 +0100

ok, it works for anonymous ftp but I'm not able to login as 'normal' user

ftpd always return error 530 Login Incorrect.

username is not in the ftpusers file.

Any hints

As someone compiled wu-ftpd on a native sysvr4 (not solaris 2.x)

Michel

---

From: [email-masked] (Chr. von Stuckrad)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 17:26:35 +0100 (MET)

Quoting Michel Colin :
> I'm trying to install wu-ftpd on an ICL running system VR4.
> After a while the program compile fine but don't work very well
> (login, cd works, ls, get, put don't )
> the following error is returned 
> 425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.

The only case so far I heared of port 20 being blocked was a SUN running
OPENWIN (Openwin3.3 on Solaris2.x) and you have to shut down OPENWIN to
allow the ftp-server function to bind to port 20. I did not yet alayse
this error, I was told about it just yesterday, but may be you too have
some other program blocking port 20 ? Try 'netstat' or 'lsof' or such
tools to look which process 'holds' the port ...

Just an idea crossing my mind;
	Your's Stucki

  **v**     ---v-----------------------------------------------------------
    S    *     !   Christoph von Stuckrad      ! <[email-masked]>  \
    t   /  *   !   Dahlem                      ! ...!unido!fub!leibniz!stucki !
    u /     *  !   Fachbereich Mathematik, EDV ! Tel:+49 30 838-754{5{9|8},72}!
<stucki>- - C  !   Freie Universitaet Berlin   ! Fax:  49 30 838-5913         !
    k \     *  !   Arnimallee 2-6              ! IRC: /nick stucki            !
    r   \  *   ! D-14195 Berlin                ! PGP: not yet certified :-(   !
    a    *     !   Germany                     !      ask for key by mail    /
  **d**     ---^-----------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (John F. Detke)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 11:40:34 -0800 (PST)

> tools to look which process 'holds' the port ...

Well I'm having the same problem with Solaris 2.4 NOT running openwin, and
there is nothing I can find holding port 20. Regular users are fine, it is
only anonymous that has this problem. My message is:

425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): No such file or directory.

I don't think this is wu-ftp related, even using the stock in.ftpd has this 
problem.... It is probably something trivial I've overlooked, and I'll post
the answer when I find it.

-- 
John F. Detke	| "Nothing gets done without someone doing it."
[email-masked]	|  
EIT Corp.	|  	-- Larry Wall

---

From: Stefan Rensing <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 15:46:31 +0100 (MET)

> 425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.

Same thing happens under Solaris 2.3 when you haven't created ~ftp/dev:

15838    0 crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other      2,  2 Nov 18 13:50 null
15834    0 crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 42 Nov 18 13:27 tcp
15835    0 crw-r--r--   1 root     other     11,  9 Nov 18 13:27 ticotsord
23124    0 crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other      1,  0 Nov 18 13:46 tty
15836    0 crw-r--r--   1 root     other     11, 41 Nov 18 13:27 udp
15837    0 crw-r--r--   1 root     other     13, 12 Nov 18 13:28 zero

- Stefan 

-- 
Stefan A. Rensing             Institute of Biology II/III - Schaenzlestr. 1
The SysOp Biologist           D-79104 Germany, phone: +49 761 2676 / FAX: 2675
e-mail: [email-masked]  MUD: port 4242 on that <- host
http://www.biologie.uni-freiburg.de/data/people/lije.html IRC:Lije MUD:Aragorn
                                                      "I love you !" "I know."

---

From: [email-masked] (John F. Detke)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 12:22:26 -0800 (PST)

> tools to look which process 'holds' the port ...

Well of course all I had to to was RTFM  (and eat lunch) ftpd(1m) specifies 
the steps necessary to fix this "problem". Being use to Solaris 1,x I missed 
some dynamic libs and /dev files. I guess a similar config should work for other
SYSV systems. For the record, the dynamic libs alone didn't change anything,
so may acutally not be needed. I tested w/o them and it seems to work fine.
I used a statically linked ls (actually dls). A quick read of the new O'Reilly
"Managing Internet Information Services" didn't help, they only had the correct
instructions for Solaris 1.x.

cheers,