Subject: Confining user to $HOME/work [1056]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 1995 13:03:50 -0500 (EST)

Hi all, 

I just got wu-ftpd up and running yesterday. Looks good. I was pleased to see 
that there is this list dedicated to wu-ftpd, to which I just signed up today.

One thing I would like to be able to achieve on another system (a Freenet, 
actually) is to confine users to not just their home directory, but to a 
subdirectory within called 'work'. This is essential due to the nature of the 
Freenet setup.                         

Is it as simple as changing the chroot directory from pwd to pwd/work in the 
ftpd.c source? If it is possible, I guess the only problem will be that it
will be imposed on everyone, including system administrators who might want 
to benefit from being able to ftp into the Freenet but would not want the 
same restriction.

I think it would be nice to have the root directory configurable 
somewhere...maybe in ftpaccess. It could be applied to users or classes.

Suggestions, comments?

Regards,
Kevin McCann
International Development Research Centre
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada