Subject: HELP ! Installing wuftpd under Irix 5.2 [1083]

From: Guy BRAND <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 15:40:32 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

Maybe have you heard or read somewhere that IRIX 5.2's ftpd deamon is
completely bugged... if not here you got the information. As our lab is
making intensive use of FTP file transfers I have decided to install
wu-ftpd 2.4 on my SGI station running IRIX 5.2. When trying to compile the
code after setting up the paths in the pathnames.h file here is the report
of what happens (sorry it's a bit long !): 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
make args are : 
make opts are : 

Making support library.
	rm -f libsupport.a
	ar cq libsupport.a getusershell.o fnmatch.o strcasestr.o strsep.o
              authuser.o
	touch libsupport.a

Making ftpd.
	cc -O -cckr -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -L../support -c glob.c
cfe: Error: glob.c, line 95: missing size for array 'agargv'
 	char *agargv[(NCARGS/6)];
 	------^
cfe: Error: glob.c, line 95: storage size for 'agargv' isn't known
 	char *agargv[(NCARGS/6)];
 	------^
cfe: Error: glob.c, line 95: 'NCARGS' undefined; reoccurrences will not be
        reported. 
 	char *agargv[(NCARGS/6)];
 	--------------^
cfe: Error: glob.c, line 124: 'NCARGS' undefined; reoccurrences will not
        be reported. 
 	gnleft = NCARGS - 4;
 	---------^
cfe: Error: glob.c, line 517: 'NCARGS' undefined; reoccurrences will not
        be reported. 
 	if (len >= gnleft || gargc >= (NCARGS/6) - 1)
 	-------------------------------^
*** Error code 1 (bu21)

make: fatal error.

Making ftpcount.
	cc -O -cckr -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -L../support -o ftpcount
        ftpcount.c vers.o -lsupport ld: Can't open: vers.o (No such file or
        directory) *** Error code 1 (bu21)

make: fatal error.

Making ftpshut.
	cc -O -cckr -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -L../support -o ftpshut
        ftpshut.c vers.o -lsupport ld: Can't open: vers.o (No such file or
        directory) *** Error code 1 (bu21)

make: fatal error.

Making ckconfig.
`ckconfig' is up to date.
../src/ckconfig and ckconfig are identical

Links to executables are in bin directory:
size: cannot open bin/ftpd
size: cannot open bin/ftpcount
size: cannot open bin/ftpshut
size: cannot open bin/ftpwho

Size of bin/ckconfig:4799	

	Section		Size	  Physical Address    Virtual Address

          .text        1664          4196288            4196288 
          .init          32          4197952            4197952 
           .lib          32          4194864            4194864 
           .bss          16         268436880           268436880 
       .dynamic         176          4194688            4194688 
        .dynstr         336          4194896            4194896 
        .dynsym         624          4195232            4195232 
           .got          96         268436784           268436784 
          .hash         432          4195856            4195856 
Done

------------------------------------------------------------------------

When having a quick look at the source code, I see no declaration for the
NCARGS variable in any files ?!? How comes ? Is there something missing in
my tar file (checksum : wuftpd-2.4.tar is 573440 bytes) ? Should I
manually modify the source and define NCARGS with it's value in glob.c
file or not ? 

I've read that wuftpd-2.4 has been successfully compiled and installed on
SGIs running Irix 4.0.x. So is there any incompatibility explaining the
problem I got under 5.x ? Is there a new release I could try, even beta ? 
(if could certainly not be worse than Silicon Graphics' ftpd :-)

Best regards and best wishes for 95... BTW !

Guy
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy BRAND                                         [email-masked]
Centre de Recherche Chimie                             ULP Strasbourg (FRANCE)