Subject: Re: PASV mode [1101] [1104] [1113]

From: "The best things in life ... are fantasy." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 11:51:26 -0500 (EST)

Mayhap you have gotten no response because nobody knows... I don't. I figured
if I can't offer an assisting response, best not clutter the bandwidth. ;-)

PCVS

---

From: [email-masked] (Randy Parlier)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 11:20:50 -0800 (PST)

> if I can't offer an assisting response, best not clutter the bandwidth. ;-)

	That's totally understandable.  Here's the solution to our particular
	problem, so it can be archived and if the problem shows up again we'll
	all clutter the bandwidth with the correct answer. ;^)
	
	Randy
	[email-masked]

>From Benjamin Zwittnig at arnes.si:
	 
  Hello,

  Problem is that the ~ftp/dev/tcp is too much protected after you run mknod. 
  You should have the following protection for files in ~ftp/dev directory:
	   
	$ ls -l ~ftp/dev
	total 0
	crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 42 Nov  4 09:22 tcp
	crw-r--r--   1 root     other     11,  9 Nov  4 09:23 ticotsord
	crw-r--r--   1 root     other     11, 41 Nov  4 09:23 udp
	cr--r--r--   1 root     other     13, 12 Nov  4 09:21 zero

  Best regards,

  Benjamin Zwittnig,
  ARNES

---

From: Ric Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 16:27:06 -0700 (MST)

For what its worth, PASV (passive mode) is defined in rfc959.txt and
mentioned (with some clarification) in rfc1123.txt.  Additional
references can be found in rfc542.txt, rfc607.txt, rfc614.txt,
rfc624.txt, rfc640.txt, rfc765.txt, rfc840.txt, rfc880.txt, rfc901.txt,
rfc924.txt, rfc944.txt, rfc1068.txt, rfc1415.txt, rfc1545.txt,
rfc1579.txt, and rfc1639.txt.

rfc 959 says in part:
 PASSIVE (PASV)

    This command requests the server-DTP to "listen" on a data
    port (which is not its default data port) and to wait for a
    connection rather than initiate one upon receipt of a
    transfer command.  The response to this command includes the
    host and port address this server is listening on.

The rfcs are available for anonymous ftp from ftp.internic.net in
directory /rfc.

Hope this clarifies some of the mystery,
Ric (<[email-masked]> "Ric Anderson", speaking for himself)