Subject: Re: interpretation of the log file

From: [email-masked] (Phillip Krokidis)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 14:10:36 +1100

>Howdy,
>I just set up wu-ftpd2.4 on a hp server. In ftpacess I enabled
>both commands and transfers logs for both anonymous and real users,
>and here is the ftp.log file I obtained after two test logins.
>
>____________________________________________________________
>Sun Jan 29 20:23:16 1995 1 fubini.swarthmore.edu 1017 
>/pub/mitDigitool/README.SWAT b _ o a [none_given] ftp 0 *
>Sun Jan 29 20:40:27 1995 1 fubini.swarthmore.edu 335 /README b _ o a 
>[none_given] ftp 0 *
>__________________________________________________________________
>
>Could anybody explain to me what each field means? 

type man xferlog

>I typed ls, cd, 
>but they didn't seem to be logged.  It seems that only transfers are
>logged.

include an entry in your syslog.conf

something like:
 
daemon.*                    /somewhere/commands.log

with one or more tabs between the two fields.
Then send a signal to syslogd.

Hope I've helped

Regards,

___________________________________________________________________________
Phillip Krokidis
(Network Manager)

Internet Access Australia Pty Ltd.
769 Centre Rd                          Tel: +61 3 5764222
East Bentleigh, 3165                   Fax: +61 3 5637854
Victoria, Australia                 e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: "The best things in life ... are fantasy." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 11:40:35 -0500 (EST)

Hi there,

The man page for xferlog will tell all. :-)

PCVS