Subject: Sol2 wu-ftpd, Netscape on Mac clients

From: Kris Allan Kahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 10:15:21 -0800 (PST)

I've run into a perplexing scenario.  Macs running Netscape 1.0N, using a URL
which is similar to: ftp://pub/mac/README, always come back with the error:
	"Cannot locate file"
while Netscape 1.0N for X and Windows can retrieve the file without problems.

I can't deternmine if it is a Netscape, a wu-ftpd, or a Sol2 problem!?
I have heard about the problem of sockets lingering for too long on Sol2
running wu-ftpd, could this be directly related?

A bug report has also been sent to MCOM.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Any comments/help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

-- 
  _____  _  _______ ____________  WHO: Kris Allan Kahn - [email-masked]  _____
 /__  / /.\ | . \ |_| / __ \ __ \ WHAT: Network Engineer - 415.472.1600  \  __\
   / /_/ _ \| __/  _  \ \/ / |/ / WHERE: North Bay Network - !SLIP/PPP! __\ \
  /_____/ \___| |_| |_|\__/|___/  WHYNOT: Every exit is also an entrance\____\
  Hackers, good.  Crackers, bad.  ADDRESS: 4000 Civic Center Dr, 4th fl.
             Got it?                       San Rafael, CA 94903

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Gerardi)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 16:18:51 -0500 (EST)

>Any comments/help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

No advice, but a confirmation of the behavior.  I have had many occurences
of "Cannot locate file" with the Mac Netscape client...I usually just pass
the URL onto Anarchie to get the file if this happens, but it would be nice
to see a fix/workaround.

-Paul Gerardi-

=======================================================================
  Paul Gerardi                             Schlumberger-Doll Research
  Computing Services                       Old Quarry Road
  Macintosh, Workstations, Networks        Ridgefield, CT  06877
  e-mail: [email-masked]   Phone: (203)431-5471
  AppleLink: GERARDI.SDR                   Fax:   (203)438-3819
=======================================================================