Subject: Multiple Incoming Directories?

From: Becky Love <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 09:17:40 -0500 (EST)

I was wondering if it is possible to make a "template" for incoming 
directories such that /pub/Astrophysics/document1/incoming would 
automatically have the same permissions as /incoming?  I am new to this 
list, so I am sorry if I am not sounding very coherant.  For example can 
I use a wildcard in the incoming definition of /incoming such that it 
applies to every directory ending in "/incoming"?  Unfortunately I need 
the information quickly, so if anyone can help me, please email me.  
Thanks alot.

Becky
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Salsbury)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 11:19:27 -0800 (PST)

-Errors-To: [email-masked]
-Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 09:17:40 -0500 (EST)
-From: Becky Love <[email-masked]>
-Errors-To: [email-masked]
-Reply-To: [email-masked]
-Mime-Version: 1.0
-Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
-Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
-
-
-    I was wondering if it is possible to make a "template" for incoming 
-directories such that /pub/Astrophysics/document1/incoming would 
-automatically have the same permissions as /incoming?  I am new to this 
-list, so I am sorry if I am not sounding very coherant.  For example can 
-I use a wildcard in the incoming definition of /incoming such that it 
-applies to every directory ending in "/incoming"?  Unfortunately I need 
-the information quickly, so if anyone can help me, please email me.  
-Thanks alot.
-
-Becky
[email-masked]
-
-
	You could maybe do something with 'find' using wildcards and then use
an -exec command to do some sort of chmod on the files. 

For example, on our site, we have a 'patches' directory with some files named
*-patch and others that are *-patches. I used find to pick out:
	a) everything matching 'patch'
	b) everything matching 'patch' and NOT 'patches'

(11:12am)Fri 20#find . -name \*patch\* -print
./patches
./patches/daytona3.5-patch
./patches/frontier4-patch
./patches/nfs5-patch
./patches/tun-patches
./patches/xv5.0.NT-patch
./patches/xv5.11-patches
./patches/lwp-slip-patches
./misc/xv-3.00-3.00a.patch

(11:12am)Fri 20#find . -name \*patch\* \! -name \*patches\* -print
./patches/daytona3.5-patch
./patches/frontier4-patch
./patches/nfs5-patch
./patches/xv5.0.NT-patch
./misc/xv-3.00-3.00a.patch

	Instead of using -print you could then do a "-exec chmod o-r {} \;" to
remove read permissions for all in the 'world' group, for example.

	I know you can set group ID for a directory, but I don't know of a way
of setting permissions by default. Anyone else? 

	Check out the 'find' manpage for more info. It's quite amazing what
you can do with it. I'm just starting to scratch the surface, myself.

Pat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	  Patrick Salsbury 	                  Visionware           
	Sys Admin/Webmaster             4500 Bohannon Dr., Suite #280  
	Voice: 415/325-2113	             Menlo Park, CA 94025      
	 FAX: 415/325-8710	      X/UNIX/PC Integration Specialists