Subject: fchown for guestgroup [1121]

From: May Tsai <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 16:47:25 -0600 (CST)

Hi, I wonder if someone can help me solve some puzzles here:

If I upload a file to guest's incoming directory, it will have the
file transferred by 0 length, and the "550 fchown: Not owner." will
occur.  But if ftp in as anonymous, then it works fine in public's
incoming dir.

A while ago someone posted that lchown should be used instead of
fchown,  but the OS is OSF/1, I'm running SunOS 4.1.3 here, does that
still apply ?

In ftpaccess file:
guestgroup unixsrc
upload  /ftphome   /unxs/receive        yes  unxs  unixsrc 0660 dirs

In /etc/passwd:
ftp:***:75:77:ANONYMOUS FTP ACCOUNT,,UNIX,917-2786,719:/ftphome:/bin/ftponly
unxsftp:***:76:803:UNXS Customer support anonymous ftp account,,UNIX,917-2786,719:/ftphome/./unxs:/bin/ftponly

In /etc/group:
unixsrc:*:803:unxsftp

/ftphome/unxs's directory has bin/, etc/, dev/, usr/ with necessary
libraries installed, just like /ftphome.

Another problem is, ftp in as guest unxsftp, with ls command working
but not 'dir' command;  but ftp in as anonymous then using site specific 
group command to enable access, and ls and dir commands both work.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
- May

---------------------------------------------------------------------
May H. Tsai		MSGID: M59T	EMail: [email-masked]
Phone: (214)917-2270	Pager: 995-4000x5294	Group: (214) 917-2786
UNIX Systems and Support Group		Process Automation Center,TI
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 655012, M/S 3624, Dallas, Texas 75265
---------------------------------------------------------------------