Subject: wu-ftpd 2.4 on Solaris 2.3 [1033]

From: Cory Tsang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 1995 17:31:38 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I'm trying to set up an anonymous ftp service on one of my boxes here.  
It is a Sparc 10/512 running Solaris 2.3.  It is current with all 
recommended and security patches (except for 101318-54).  I used the 
script that is part of the ftpd.1 man page to create my directory 
heirarchy.  Even that wouldn't authenticate usernames when I tried to ftp 
to that box.  I compiled wu-ftpd 2.4 without a problem and installed it 
over the standard distribution.

Connected to localhost.
220 dizzy FTP server (Version wu-2.4(9) Tue Jan 3 16:25:35 EST 1995) ready.
Name (localhost:compsci): ftp 
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
550 Can't set guest privileges.
Login failed.
ftp> user cory
331 Password required for cory.
Password: 
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.

I keep getting the above errors when I try connecting to the box via 
ftp.  It can't set guest priviledges and it won't even allow valid users 
enter.  Checking the /var/adm/messages file, I get the following:

Jan  3 22:24:32 dizzy ftpd[12094]: wtmp /usr/adm/wtmp Permission denied
Jan  3 22:24:32 dizzy ftpd[12094]: wtmp /usr/adm/wtmp Permission denied

I had changed the inetd.conf to call up wu-ftpd (ftpd) instead of 
in.ftpd, so the inetd should have an effective uid of 0.  Anyone have an 
idea why wtmp is giving the permission denied error?  I was hoping for an 
'out-of-box' solution, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Is there a FAQ for this group?  Or maybe configuration guidelines for 
each platform that I can download?  Any help is appreciated.

Cory

Cory Tsang-------------------------------------------------------------------
Programmer/Analyst			Researcher
School of Computer Science, MS ECS354	Visual Languages Laboratory
Florida International University	Phone: (305) 348-2739/3739 office/lab
Miami, FL  33199			Fax  : (305) 348-3549