Subject: wu-ftpd and AFS authentication [1082]

From: Jonathan Thyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 07:46:52 -0500 (EST)

Has anyone coded AFS/Kerb authentication into the wu-ftp daemon?  If not, are
there any plans to do so?  We here are AFS and looking into the various
ftp server options..  Thanks,

-- 
[email-masked]
Systems Programmer
SYN Dept, UNC-Greensboro
phone: (910) 334-3338

---

From: "Derrick J. Brashear" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 12:19:37 -0500 (EST)

Excerpts from internet.listserv.wu-ftpd: 11-Jan-95 wu-ftpd and AFS
authenticat.. by Jonathan [email-masked] 
> ftp server options..  Thanks,
I'm currently finishing a version, it should be done in a few days.

-D

---

From: Jonathan Thyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 14:43:29 -0500 (EST)

> I'm currently finishing a version, it should be done in a few days.

Thanks.. I would like to know when you are done.  I didn't want to embark on
such a thing if someone was already doing it!

Quick question...    We are running Solaris 2.3 here and typically ftp daemon(s)
require a number of device files to exist in the ftp root directory.
I would like to have the ftp root dir exist within AFS however I cannot create
a device file in the AFS tree.

I guess the question is: Are you addressing this with your port of wu-ftpd?

Thanks a bunch for letting me know of your work.

-- 
[email-masked]
Systems Programmer
SYN Dept, UNC-Greensboro
phone: (910) 334-3338

---

From: Forrest Aldrich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 17:31:29 -0500 (EST)

This is unrelated to your question...

I've been trying to get more information about AFS: what it is, who makes it,
is it a PD implementation?

Thanks...

---

From: David Parter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 09:38:45 -0600

> ftp server options..  Thanks,

I have a version that does kerberos 5 plus AFS. You can ftp it
from ftp.cs.wisc.edu:/pub/wu-ftp+afs

	--david

--------
david parter                                         [email-masked]
university of wisconsin -- madison          voice: 608-262-0608/262-2389
computer sciences department                           fax: 608-262-6626
    postmaster, hostmaster, xunet/blanca, mentor, www, gopher, ftp, 
    compilers, security, software planning, training ...

---

From: "Jeff J. Dingbaum" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 21:33:21 -0600 (CST)

> I guess the question is: Are you addressing this with your port of wu-ftpd?

I have come across this problem as well on my ftp/afs/web/gopher server.
It has been a while since I installed this, so I really don't remember the
details.  The main problem was that you need a /dev/zero in the anonymous 
ftp file area, but you can't make one in AFS.  You have to compile either
the ftp daemon or the compression program with the static flag (can't 
remember which).  Compiling a tar program with static wouldn't hurt either.  
Then you can just plop those binaries in without worrying about /dev/zero.  

This was on SunOS4.1, but I suspect that it is the same problem.  I will 
be doing this same install hopefully this week, so if I find anything 
funny I will email you.

Jeff Dingbaum
[email-masked]

---

From: Jonathan Thyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 08:09:44 -0500 (EST)

>From my understanding, statically linking the programs in ~/ftp/bin solves the
Solaris problem of having to copy libraries into ~/ftp/usr/lib but it does not
solve the problem of trying to create device files within AFS.

Hmmm.. if compiling ftp static helps, I'll try it but I somehow doubt this
will work.  Basically I'm resigned to the fact that the FTP root dir cannot
exist within AFS, however as I understand it, it is possible to mount the AFS
hierarchy within the FTP root dir.

-- 
[email-masked]
Systems Programmer
SYN Dept, UNC-Greensboro
phone: (910) 334-3338