Subject: large numbers of classed anonymous users

From: Anthony D'Atri <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 10:11:30 -0800 (PST)

I'm working to set up an ftp server for our customers, and the support
people wish to have the archive divided such that customers can only get
to subdirectories that correspond to the products that they're paying
maintenance for.  I first thought to use the SITE GPASS & SITE GROUP
facilities, but I suspect that they may be impossible for users of
opaque clients (eg., Mosaic or random Mac/MS-DOS ones) to issue them,
and I'm not comfortable adding several thousand entries to our sitewide
password & group databases.  I've pretty much settled on diddling up my
own getpwent() and such to read alternative files, but thought I'd see
if there were other reactions before I did the work.

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Salasin)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 09:19:04 -0800

I also am very unclear about guestgroup and how it operates.
The notes are pretty useless.  What is this, and how does it
operate and how do you set it up?

Best,
Robert Salasin
[email-masked]

---

From: "The best things in life ... are fantasy." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 13:27:43 -0500 (EST)

Hi there,

Guestgroup is like anonymous ftp in that the people who ftp in are given
restricted access. But instead of ftping in as anonymous they give an
account name. Thus the guest account can be accessed by a select few
and these folks are themselves prevented from cding around your disks.

It is set up similarily to the anonymous ftp site. However it must be
defined within ftpaccess. Ftpaccess.heavy shows this.

Hope this helps.

PCVS