Subject: Re: oh, this one too

From: Perry Wagle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 10:33:17 -0500

>| I use tcp-wrapper to do and log the ident protocol on ftp.  Ident can be
>| falsified, but FTP isn't going to do any better in figuring out who you
>| really are.  This way I have one utility doing all the ident stuff.  I am
>| also anticipating using xinetd instead of tcp-wrapper soon, so keeping it
>| modularized may be useful.
>[ ... ]

>I just grabbed the latest tcp_wrappers, version 7.1.  I've been using
>it for a while, but not with pidentd/ident protocol yet.  I figure,
>even though the IDENT protocal can be faked, you're better off with
>a larger paper trail than not (er... binary trail?).  Anyhow, I've
>never heard of xinetd, but if you're considering replacing the tcp_wraps
>with this, I would be interested in taking a look at it... does it
>provide similar functionality, etc?

I found xinetd on thor.ece.uc.edu a couple weeks ago, but didn't take it too
seriously until "Managing Internet Information Services" (Liu, et al) did a
chapter on it.  Its a reworking of inetd with a number of security features,
including tcp_wrapper-like functionality.

The book gives mystique.cs.colorado.edu as the master distribution site,
which allows anonymous FTP, but lists NO files at all.  The site
ftp.cs.colorado.edu doesn't have it either.  Further investigation indicates
that the maintainer graduated.  I've sent that person (just now) asking after
the status of xinetd, and I'll let y'all know what I find out.

-- Perry Wagle, Indiana University Institute for Scientific Computation
   [email-masked]