Subject: build help. *names in statcmd

From: [email-masked] (Pamela Pledger)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 15:25:32 +0800

Help!

	Well, I hardly believe that I can do this, but I ftp'd up
wu-ftpd-2.4.Z, and the build gets this error :
Making ftpd.
gcc -g -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -L../support  -target sun4 -c  ftpd.c
ftpd.c: In function `statcmd':
ftpd.c:1972: `typenames' undeclared (first use this function)
ftpd.c:1972: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
ftpd.c:1972: for each function it appears in.)
ftpd.c:1974: `formnames' undeclared (first use this function)
ftpd.c:1982: `strunames' undeclared (first use this function)
ftpd.c:1982: `modenames' undeclared (first use this function)
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `ftpd.o'

	I have read, and reread the readme and install.  I must
have done something wrong.  What was it?

Pamela Pledger
Unix System Administration
Legato Systems, Inc

---

From: Anthony D'Atri <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 15:59:26 -0800 (PST)

>ftpd.c:1974: `formnames' undeclared (first use this function)

"INSTALL" sez:

    If cc complains about strunames, typenames, modenames, ... being undefined
    you need to install support/ftp.h as /usr/include/arpa/ftp.h (always make
    a backup of the old ftp.h just in case!) and do the build again.  The new
    ftp.h should be a compatible superset of your existing ftp.h, so you
    shouldn't have problems with this replacement.

Why the sources can't just include their own ftp.h explicitly is quite
beyond me.  I tried using -nostdinc to gcc to get around having to move
ftp.h, but in the end I gave up and copied it into /usr/include/arpa,
compiled, and put back the vendor's.

---

From: [email-masked] (Frederick Korz)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 17:42:12 -0500

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 15:59:26 -0800 (PST)
   From: Anthony D'Atri <[email-masked]>
   Reply-To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
   Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
   References: <[email-masked]>

   "INSTALL" sez:

I quite agree.

There is an easy way, without using "-nostdinc".  

Adding "-I../support" to the IFLAGS in src/Makefile did the trick
without adulterating /usr/include/arpa/ftp.h

I sent this in as a bug/misfeature in September.  Hope it gets fixed
in the next (3.x) release.

Fred Korz                       [email-masked]    (212) 939-7068
450 Computer Science Building,  Columbia University,    NY, NY  10027 (USA)