Subject: Help with wu-ftpd 2.4 and Solaris 2.4

From: Michael Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 08:49:36 -0600 (CST)

I've been trying to install wu-ftpd anew on a SPARCcenter 1000 running
Solaris 2.4.  It's unhappy about creating sockets... the compilation 
proceeds normally and I can connect to the daemon, but any commands 
result in:
425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.

I traced this back in the source... made sure all the headers were in
the places expected and the appropriate libraries were on the compilation
line (-lsocket -lnsl).  I'm using gcc 2.5.6 and everything else 'as
packaged'.

Any help would is appreciated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Michael A. Rice                        [email-masked] 
   University of Houston               [email-masked]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "Sometimes I think that the surest sign that 
         intellegent life exists elsewhere in the universe 
         is that none of it has tried to contact us."          -Calvin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: Stefan Rensing <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 17:00:59 +0100 (MET)

> 425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.

Use the mknod command to create the following files in ~ftp/dev:
15838    0 crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other      2,  2 Nov 18 13:50 null
15834    0 crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 42 Nov 18 13:27 tcp
15835    0 crw-r--r--   1 root     other     11,  9 Nov 18 13:27 ticotsord
23124    0 crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other      1,  0 Nov 18 13:46 tty
15836    0 crw-r--r--   1 root     other     11, 41 Nov 18 13:27 udp
15837    0 crw-r--r--   1 root     other     13, 12 Nov 18 13:28 zero

- Stefan 

-- 
Stefan A. Rensing             Institute of Biology II/III - Schaenzlestr. 1
The SysOp Biologist           D-79104 Germany, phone: +49 761 2676 / FAX: 2675
e-mail: [email-masked]  MUD: port 4242 on that <- host
http://www.biologie.uni-freiburg.de/data/people/lije.html IRC:Lije MUD:Aragorn
                                                      "I love you !" "I know."

---

From: Michael Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 15:15:13 -0600 (CST)

Thanks for your reply, the problem with my wu-ftpd under Solaris 2.4 has
been corrected.

-Michael Rice
 [email-masked]