Subject: [770] Install FTP on alternate port for testing?

From: Thomas Leavitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 12:00:57 -0800 (PST)

Greetings all.

I made and built wuftpd using the CMSNET alterations for the global
ftpaccess line...

Since my system is "live", I can't really take down the server and
experiment on the standard port...

I altered the pathnames in pathnames.h, copied the new version as
ftpd-test, made an entry into inted.conf referring to it, and
inserted two lines into the /etc/services file putting ftp-test
on port 5700 (data) and 5701 (commands), copied the appropriate
files from the ftp directory and then tried to connect as

ftp ftp.webcom.com:5701 (control?) and it didn't work.

Any guidance on where to go from here? (other than quick swaps at
3 a.m.?)

Sincerely,
Thomas Leavitt

--
Web Communications (sm)            Thomas [email-masked]
Voice: (408) 457-9671              Lead Systems & Network Admin./Tech Suppt.
 
<a href="http://www.webcom.com/">Web Communications Home Page</a>

---

From: Thomas Leavitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 18:40:38 -0800 (PST)

Thanks to those who responded. I just needed to enter

ftp ftp.webcom.com 5701 (without the colon) and everything worked
(after a bit of tweaking, now that I knew what was going on).