Subject: [774] Problems with symbolic links

From: "Dennis E. Miyoshi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 1994 14:02:29 -0700

Hello.  I have recently installed wu-ftpd-2.4 on a Sun Sparc20 running
Solaris 2.3.  Everthing went well on the compile and when I brought up
the system, the anonymous ftp user seemed to work great.  However, when
I began to run out of disk space on my first disk, I attempted to do
symbolic links to my other file systems to allow space to expand the
site.  However, I have found that the anonymous ftp user cannot change
directory to the linked directory.  Is there a reason for this?  Is
there a way to allow the anonymous ftp user to change directory to the
linked directory.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

-- 
-Dennis

===============================================================================
                             Dennis E. Miyoshi, PE
                         Computer Engineer/LAN Manager
                       ARPA Internet:  [email-masked]
                       ARPA Internet:  [email-masked]
========================= ( ROBUST == A Broken Robot ) ========================

---

From: Sal Collora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 1994 15:49:24 -0800 (PST)

The reasons symbolic links cannot be placed outside the ~ftp tree is
because a chroot() is done that makes all filesystems outside the ~ftp
tree non-existent in effect.

It is important to only use symbolic links that are linked to somewhere
within that tree.  If you are going to put a large archive and need more
space, it will be better to actually mount the filesystem within the 
~ftp tree.

Hope this helps..

..Sal

---

From: "Dennis E. Miyoshi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 07:48:39 -0700

On Nov 27,  3:49pm, Sal Collora wrote:
> Subject: [775] Re: [774] Problems with symbolic links
>-- End of excerpt from Sal Collora

Sal,

Thanks for the reply.  I'll set up my mounts to handle this situation.

-- 
-Dennis