Subject: [773] Strange problems on Sol 2.3

From: Maarten Boekhold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 1994 17:31:17 +0200 (METDST)

Hi,

I just subscribed to this list, so I don't know if my problem has been 
answered yet (is this list archived somewhere??), but I have the following:

Today I started setting up an anonymous ftp-server for the library here 
(TU Delft, the netherlands). I first used the SUN ftpd, to get an idea of 
how everything should look like, and I ran into a problem: I can't see 
directories (I can ftp in anonymous). All the directories of interest 
*have* the x-bit set, so they *should* be readable.

Then I installed the wu-ftpd-2.4. I haven't configured it much (actually 
not at all), but, using normal ftp-program, it works. I can list 
directories, get files etc. But I can only see files when doing a 'ls'. 
dir doesn't work, neither does 'ls -la'.

So I can't use ncftp to see files (though I can probably get them, I can 
'cd' to directories, and our PC-users can't use those nifty graphical 
ftp-programs they like so much undere ms-windoze.

Does anybody have a clue of what I'm doing wrong? If more info is needed, 
lemme know, and I'll send it to you.

Maarten

_____________________________________________________________________________
|    Maarten Boekhold, Faculty of Electronical Engineering TU Delft,  NL    |
|        [email-masked]      [email-masked]         |
|          <a href="http://morra.et.tudelft.nl/~boekhold">me</a>            | 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Anders Ardo UB2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 10:21:56 +0100

> dir doesn't work, neither does 'ls -la'.

I had the same problem on a SUNOS 4.1.3 machine. I did two things
that seems to have solved the problem:
1. Changing the owner of the directories and files to ftp (I am not sure
   this really have anything to do with the problem).
2. Furthermore I remembered that I had copyed the ftp hiearchy including
   bin and usr/lib from an older machine. So I updated the copy of ls
   in bin and the shared libraries in usr/lib

Now it seems to work for me.

> lemme know, and I'll send it to you.

Anders

--------
 Anders Ardo   University Library, UB2, P.O. Box 3
                                        S-221 00  Lund, Sweden
Tel:           int+46 46 104456
Fax:           int+46 46 103682
E-mail:        [email-masked]
URL:           <A HREF="http://www.ub2.lu.se/anders.html">Anders himself</A>