Subject: [801] User unable to glob 'cd' command

From: Alan Cunningham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 09:02:01 -0600 (CST)

I am the sysadmin of a wu-ftpd site (version 2.3) running on Solaris 
2.3.  We have a complex directory structure and long directory names.  We 
got the following comment from one of our users:

>I am unable to use metacharacters to expand your (rather long!) directory
>names. For example, I would expect that         "cd /Instr*" would find the
>directory /Instructional.Materials yet it says "/Instr* not found". I
>even tried things like /In*l.Ma*s and that did not work. I tried turning
>the "glob" toggle both on and off and that made no difference. Being a
>Unix person myself I was certain that I have the upper/lower case correct.
 
Pardon my newness, but I have never tried to 'cd' to a globbed pathname, 
so I did not know it was a feature of wu-ftpd.  I checked the sources, 
and found some information about globbing, but it does not seem to 
support such on the 'cd' command.  

Can someone enlighten me so I can respond to this user's request.  It 
seems reasonable and if I have broken a part of wu-ftpd-2.3, I want to 
fix the feature.

Thanks.
===============
D. Alan Cunningham, KD4ESE, Principal Engineer NASA Spacelink Project
Computer Sciences Corporation, PrISMS at NASA/MSFC Phone:205-544-3091
Email: [email-masked]                    Fax:205-544-2362
Snail Mail: P.O. Box 240005  MS-301,       Huntsville, AL  35824-6405
Location:  Bldg 4727 Room 112, Marshall Space Flight Center, AL 35812
NASA Spacelink  Modems:205-895-0028  Internet:spacelink.msfc.nasa.gov

---

From: [email-masked] (Duc Duong)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 11:03:35 -0500 (EST)

hi..

is it possible that I can do an "mget directories directories " with
wu-ftpd?? NO, I don't need compress or anything.. All I want is just
dowload every thing in certain directories and it will make the exact
directory structure on my local hard drive..?? Is this possible?? 

dduc