Subject: [696] FTP problems..

From: "John A. Perry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 1994 17:14:49 -0600

Hello Everyone,

	My question(s) are actually 2-fold. First, I have tried to set up 
anonymous FTP on my system. I've tried setting it up with the stock ftpd 
that came with the system and wuarchive's ftpd. I'm running FreeBSD 1.1R 
on a 486/33 8 Megs.

1. When I ftp to my site anonymously, I can do a "dir" ad get a directory 
listing but the owner is show numerically rather by name. I've checked 
the passwd file several times to look for any error but to no avail. It 
all works otherwise.

2. Using the wu-ftpd, I can still log in anonymously, with the same 
problem mentioned above. But, I can't log in as a real user. It fails the 
login. I have rtfm'ed and manned 'till I'm blue in the face. I apologize 
if this is FAQ stuff..

 John A. Perry - KG5RG - [email-masked]
 WWW - http://jpunix.com
 PGP 2.62 key for [email-masked] is on the keyservers.
 PGP-encrypted e-mail welcome!
 
 Finger [email-masked] for PGP keyserver help.
 Finger [email-masked] for remailer help.

---

From: [email-masked] (Rob Windsor)
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 1994 01:56:53 -0600 (CST)

> the passwd file several times to look for any error but to no avail. It 

I am guessing that you are using shadow passwords.  I had the identical
problem on my NetBSD-1.0-Beta install.

If you followed the standard instructions for configuring a public ftp
site, then all you need to do is copy /etc/pwd.db to ~ftp/etc instead
of /etc/passwd.

-- Rob

---

From: "John A. Perry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 1994 06:37:27 -0600

>site, then all you need to do is copy /etc/pwd.db to ~ftp/etc instead

This fixed it! It all works as it should now. I did exactly that. Thanks 
for the help.