Subject: [652] SGI setup & info

From: "Jeffrey W. Speegle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 1994 08:06:16 -0600

I successfully compiled wu-ftpd 2.4 on my 4.0.5
	workstation/server.  I am look looking for pointers
	getting everything setup.

	I was looking through the README's and couldn't find
	info on a few points of interest.

	1.  can I limit the number of ftp connections?

	2.  If so, can I schedule the total connections?
	    IE:  Allow more ftps at night and on the weekend
	         and limit the connections during work hours.

	3.  can I disallow connections from a domain?

	Sorry for the "newbie" questions.  :-)

	Thanks!

-- 

	JWS

 ====================================================================
 |           Jeffrey W. Speegle         |           |   I wear a    | 
 | Voice 205-544-0437  Fax 205-544-6602 |  F D C:   |   toon tie    |
 |             Bell Atlantic            |           |  every day:   |
 |     Graphics Workstation Support     | Head  of  |  It reminds   |
 |     Marshall Space Flight Center     | Computer  | people not to | 
 |         Huntsville, Alabama          | Generated |take things to |  
 |    [email-masked]   | Animation |seriously.  :-)|
 |      [email-masked]      |           |               |
 |         [email-masked]         |           |               |
 ====================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Diwakar H. Prabhakar)
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 1994 10:34:02 -0500 (EST)

> 	Sorry for the "newbie" questions.  :-)

I believe you can do all of the above by configuring the ftpaccess file.
Check the man pages and doc/examples/ftpacces for more info.

I'm a newbie myself....

Diwakar

---

From: Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 1994 10:07:56 -0800

------ "Jeffrey W. Speegle", <[email-masked]> w

    

read the manpage for ftpaccess(5)..  it is ugly but very easy to
configure all of this. here is the one off my linux box (identical to my
irix one). questions  1 & 2 are done with the 'limit' command, and #3 is
with the 'deny command'. 

#deny	*.wustl.edu	/var/spool/ftpd/msgs/message.deny
#deny	0.0.0.0		/var/spool/ftpd/msgs/message.deny
#deny	*		/var/spool/ftpd/msgs/msg.dead
#
loginfails 2
#
class   local   real,guest,gwhite,testu1		123.123.123.*
class   remote  real,guest,gwhite,anonymous,testu1	*
#
limit   dead    0   Any                 /var/spool/ftpd/msgs/msg.dead
limit   local   2   Any                 /var/spool/ftpd/msgs/msg.toomany
limit   remote  1   SaSu|Any1800-0600   /var/spool/ftpd/msgs/msg.toomany
limit   remote  6   Any                 /var/spool/ftpd/msgs/msg.toomany
#
#readme  README*    login
#readme  README*    cwd=*
#
message /var/spool/ftpd/msgs/mirrors.msg   cwd=/mirrors
message /var/spool/ftpd/msgs/welcome.msg   login
message .message                cwd=*
#
compress        yes             local remote
tar             yes             local remote
#
private		/var/spool/ftpd/groupaccess
#
#log commands real
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound
#
# If the file below is found, the server will not accept incoming logins.
# This is used to prevent logins while making updating your archives, or
# for other reasons.
#
# To prevent FTP access: touch /etc/shutdownftp
# To allow FTP access: rm /etc/shutdownftp
#
shutdown /etc/shutdownftp
guestgroup users

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Salsbury)
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 1994 08:39:20 -0800 (PST)

>From the ftpaccess manpage:

ftpaccess(5)              FILE FORMATS               ftpaccess(5)

Name
     ftpaccess - ftpd configuration file

Description
     The ftpaccess file is used to configure the operation of

Access Capabilities

-	3.  can I disallow connections from a domain?

     class <class> <typelist> <addrglob> [<addrglob> ...]
          Define <class> of users, with source addresses  of  the
          form  <addrglob>.   Multiple  members of <class> may be
          defined.  There may be multiple "class" commands  list-
          ing  additional  members  of  the  class.   If multiple
          "class" commands can apply to the current session,  the
          first  one  listed in the access file is used.  Failing
          to define a valid class for a host will cause access to
          be denied.  <typelist> is a comma-separated list of any
          of the keywords "anonymous", "guest"  and  "real".   If
          the  "real"  keyword  is  included, the class can match
          users using FTP to access real  accounts,  and  if  the
          "anonymous"  keyword  is  included  the class can match
          users using anonymous FTP.  The "guest" keyword matches
          guest access accounts (see "guestgroup" for more infor-
          mation)

          <addrglob> may be a globbed domain name  or  a  globbed
          numeric address.

     deny <addrglob> <message_file>
          Always deny  access  to  host(s)  matching  <addrglob>.
          <message_file>   is   displayed.    <addrglob>  may  be
          "!nameserved" to deny access to sites without a working
          nameserver.

-	1.  can I limit the number of ftp connections?
-
-	2.  If so, can I schedule the total connections?
-	    IE:  Allow more ftps at night and on the weekend
-	         and limit the connections during work hours.

     limit <class> <n> <times> <message_file>
          Limit <class> to <n> users at times <times>, displaying
          <message_file>  if  user is denied access.  Limit check
          is performed at login time only.  If  multiple  "limit"
          commands  can  apply  to the current session, the first
          applicable one is used.   Failing  to  define  a  valid
          limit,  or  a  limit of -1, is equivalent to unlimited.
          <times> is in same format as  the  times  in  the  UUCP
          L.sys file.

Pat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	  Patrick Salsbury 	                  VisionWare           
	Sys Admin/Webmaster             4500 Bohannon Dr., Suite #280  
	Voice: 415/325-2113	             Menlo Park, CA 94025      
	 FAX: 415/325-8710	      X/UNIX/PC Integration Specialists

---

From: [email-masked] (Winfried Magerl)
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 13:47:37 +0100 (MET)

> 	info on a few points of interest.

But you forgot the manpages.

> 	3.  can I disallow connections from a domain?

To all points the answer is yes. Look in the manpage for ftpaccess.

regards

	winfried

-- 
Winfried Magerl, Siemens Nixdorf AG, AP 1133
81739 Muenchen, Germany
Internet-Mail: [email-masked]