Subject: [755] Creating write-only ftp account

From: Michael Regoli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 1994 21:54:59 -0500

I'm the admin for a pretty busy Internet site and it's been
recommended that we create a special "upload-only" ftp account so that
people using this account have write-only access to a specific
directory, and NO read privs.  

Any idea how to set this up?  I would imagine it would be done mostly
through the "ftpaccess" access file; I'd like to talk to someone who
has set one of these up...

Thanks!

--
michael regoli
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Frank Cusack Jr.)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 1994 22:52:19 -0500

>has set one of these up...

well, assuming you have created an account for user "frank" who belongs to
group "frank" and the home dir is /users/homedir:

the following lines in ftpaccess will do it:

upload /users/homedir   *               no
upload /users/homedir   /incoming       yes     <privuid>   frank   0400

substitute the uid of a privileged user who can access the incoming file to
get files out of it, etc. for <privuid>

set the mode of /users/homedir/incoming/ to 730 <drwx-wx--->; set the owner
to <privuid> and the group to "frank".

Files will be uploadable only to /users/homedir/incoming and will have
owner <privuid>, group frank, and mode 400 <-r-------->. User "frank" will
NOT be able to see what is in this folder though - it will be a 'drop'
folder.

--Frank

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frank Cusack Jr.| Procrastinator's Creed #11:
[email-masked] +- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
[email-masked] | I obey the law of inverse excuses which demands that the
-- -- -- -- -- -+ greater the task to be done, the more insignificant the work
Ask for pgp key | that must be done prior to beginning the greater task.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------