Subject: [752] Server shutting down

From: [email-masked] (Tianlin Wang)
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 22:53:09 -0600

Recently I installed FTPD (Version wu-2.4(2)) in our SunSparc20 with solaris
2.3. However, I got the following error message:

ftp orion
Connected to orion.animal.uiuc.edu.
220 orion.animal.uiuc.edu FTP server (Version wu-2.4(2) Fri Nov 18 13:17:03 CST 1994) ready.
Name (orion:twang): ftp
221 Server shutting down.  Goodbye.
ftp> ls
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
ftp> 

What could be wrong? Where can I get a FAQ?
I will greatly appreciate any help and hints.

P.S. 
  My entry for ftpd in the /etc/inetd.conf is
ftp	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/local/etc/ftpd	ftpd -l

Regards
                                                                   /^ ^\
Tianlin Wang                                                      / 0 0 \
University of Illinois     E-mail [email-masked]           V\ Y /V
314ASL, 1207 W Gregory Dr  Phone  217-244-6006(O),217-359-7070(H)  / - \
Urbana, IL 61801, USA      Fax    217-333-8286                     /    |
                                                                  V__) ||

---

From: Stefan Rensing <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 1994 13:44:55 +0100 (MET)

> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

Delete /etc/shutmsg (or wherever it's placed, look in ftpaccess).

Cheers, Stefan.

-- 
Stefan A. Rensing             Institute of Biology II/III - Schaenzlestr. 1
The SysOp Biologist           D-79104 Germany, phone: +49 761 2676 / FAX: 2675
e-mail: [email-masked]  MUD: port 4242 on that <- host
http://www.biologie.uni-freiburg.de/data/people/lije.html IRC:Lije MUD:Aragorn
                                                      "I love you !" "I know."