Subject: [562] Problem with wu-ftpd-2.4

From: Michael Alan Hobart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 1994 13:26:45 -0600

I'm installing and testing wu-ftpd-2.4 on a Sun IPC running SunOS 4.1.3 and
using the latest gcc compiler.  Everything appears to be working fine except
for one thing.  When I connect as anonymous and issue a 'dir' command, 
I don't even get an 'ls' listing, let alone an 'ls -l'.  

I've compiled the gnu fileutils with both the cflags and ldflags as '-static'
and put that in the ~ftp/bin directory.

Any ideas as to where I've made a mistake?

Also, are there archives of previous messages of this list available?  I did
some looking but didn't see them.

Thanks, Mike
-----------------------
Michael A. Hobart
Department of Geology and Geophysics
University of Utah
717 W.C. Browning Bldg.
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-1183
(801) 585-5328
(801) 581-7065 fax
[email-masked]
-----------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Seth Osher)
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 1994 20:26:40 +0000 (GMT)

Mike,

Make sure you have ~ftp/dev/null and ~ftp/dev/zero.  Without them,
ls will not work after the chroot(~ftp) that ftpd performs.

   Seth D. Osher     SE/I Department Computer Analysis
   Internet: [email-masked]
   Tel. (703) 883-8573   Fax. (703) 883-8788
   PRC Inc., Mail Stop TM 431, 1505 PRC Drive, McLean, VA 22102
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
///////      //      ///     ////////////////////////////////////////
//////   /   /   /   /   /   ////   // // ///  /////////////////////
/////   /   /   /   /   ///////// ///  / // // ////////////////////
////   /   /   /   /   ///////// /// /  // ///////////////////////
///   /////   //   /      ////   // // ///   // /////////////////
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

---

From: Thomas Leavitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 15:58:53 -0700 (PDT)

I'm trying to get the message notifying users when the FTP Server
will be shut down to work.

I have the source distribution taken from the Liverpool Interworks
HP-UX archive.

I can shut down the FTP Server, but I can't get it to give people 
any warning.

I tried editing messages by hand, and using FTP shut, but this doesn't
alter the behavior. It isn't critical, but since I've figured out
almost everything else, I'd like to get this working.

--
Web Communications (sm)            Thomas [email-masked]
Voice: (408) 457-9671              Lead Systems & Network Admin./Tech Suppt.
 
<a href="http://www.webcom.com/">Web Communications Home Page</a>

---

From: Thomas Leavitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 1994 18:38:21 -0700 (PDT)

How do I set the default umask for our users?