Subject: [542] problem with static linking of ls

From: Kris Lappala <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 1994 09:52:32 -0500 (CDT)

I am trying to compile "ls" with static linking from gnu's file utilities to take care of 
the much discussed problem with ls -al on the wu-ftpd.  The problem that I am getting is that
when I go to compile the source with the -static option, I get an error message that 
says dlopen, dlclose and dlsym are undefined symbols.  Looking at the obvious solution to the
problem, I added the "-ldl" option to the list of library options used during compilation.  
This results in an error message of 

"ld: fatal: library -ldl: not found"

Anybody run into a similar problem?  Alternatively, has anyone gotten a version of ls to 
compile on Solaris 2.3 AND had it work when they copied it to ~ftp/bin?  

-- 
Kris Lappala
[email-masked]

---

From: Stephen Bruce <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 1994 19:54:15 +1000 (EST)

> compile on Solaris 2.3 AND had it work when they copied it to ~ftp/bin?  

As an alternative, why not try using the shared library version of the 'ls' and
other commands. I did this by creating a ~ftp/lib directory and placing 
the required libraries and symbolic links from /lib in it.

-- 
Stephen C Bruce           | Internet: [email-masked]
Melbourne Australia       | Voice:    +61-3-5223653(bh)