Subject: [593] Re: [592] Re: [588] Re: [585] User Logins

From: "Nelson H. F. Beebe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 10:41:12 -0600 (MDT)

Richard Wykes <[email-masked]> and [email-masked]
(Judith Pellerin) are discussing the problem of setting up wu-ftp
guest login that restricts access to a selected file tree.

>> ...
>> I've done all that and it seems to stop telnet and lets them in for 
>> FTP but they can see all of the directory tree and I only want them 
>> to be able to see down the structure from where they are put after 
>> login.
>> ...

Examination of the code in wu-ftp-2.4/src/ftpd.c brings up this
fragment:

    if (anonymous || guest) {
..
        if (anonymous) {
            if (chroot(pw->pw_dir) < 0 || chdir("/") < 0) {
..
        } else if (guest) {
..
                if (chroot(pw->pw_dir) < 0 || chdir("/") < 0) {
..

The chroot is happening only for anonymous and guest users; other user
logins as permitted by the passwd file will be able to see any file
that they could see if they had a telnet login session with a normal
shell.

========================================================================
Nelson H. F. Beebe                      Tel: +1 801 581 5254
Center for Scientific Computing         FAX: +1 801 581 4148
Department of Mathematics, 105 JWB      Internet: [email-masked]
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
========================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Judith Pellerin)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 10:55:42 -0400

On Oct 26, 10:41am, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:
> Subject: [593] Re: [592] Re: [588] Re: [585] User Logins
>-- End of excerpt from Nelson H. F. Beebe

Nelson -

The guestgroup "group" entry in the ftpaccess file will keep the users who are
a part of that group from seeing the directory structure above what is defined
for them as their home directory in the /etc/passwd file structure.

judy