Subject: [527] Many operational problems with wuftpd on NeXT (nx3)

From: Paul Southworth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 1994 14:40:35 -0400

I'm trying to run wu-ftpd on a NeXT cube running NeXT Step 3.0.  I have
the following problem:

The /bin/ls processes never seem to exit.  When an anonymous user
disconnects the socket sits in CLOSE_WAIT forever.  The /bin/ls process
hangs there, and the ftpd process won't exit either.  The effect is
that for this archive server (mac.archive.umich.edu) we fill our quota
of connections (50) in about two minutes, and then we're full
forevermore.  The ftpd forked processes cannot be killed, nor can the
ls process (kill -9 by root will not terminate the process, and they
are not zombies).

I'm willing to accept that this is a problem with NeXT Step, but I'm
interested in any workaround.  If anyone has built-in "ls" code in their
server instead of running /bin/ls I would be very interested in seeing
that, regardless of how ugly the hack is or how unsupported it may be.

--
Paul Southworth
CICNet Systems Support
[email-masked]