Subject: [573] 2 questions about wu-ftpd-2.4

From: [email-masked] (Roberto Sigona)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 16:38:37 +0000 (GMT)

I'm trying to set up this great ftpd on my Solaris 2.4 workstation, and
I have 2 questions for you guys:

1. I would like to have "binary" as default for transferring files, how
do I change/modify the code to do this?

I tryied to modify the /* Set up default state */ section in the ftpd.c
file like follow:

type = TYPE_A ==> type = TYPE_I , it seems to work for the data
transfer, but the status command is still showing Type: ascii?!?

2. I don't understand how to use the "ftpconversions", can someone give
me some examples or explain me how it works?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Roberto Sigona
European Product Support
Autodesk Development BV
Switzerland

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 05:40:00 -0400

> transfer, but the status command is still showing Type: ascii?!?

I tried this too (On a DECstation running Ultrix 4.2a) with the same results. 
The actual transfers are still in ASCII mode (I tested this). I believe it is up
to the FTP client to set the default transfer mode and that there is nothing you
can do at the server end. I even asked a site using WU-FTPD 2.4 which seemed to 
have binary as a default and discovered that the administrator there had not 
changed anything in the WU-FTPD configuration or sources.

I'd love to be proved wrong as it is pretty painful to see all those ascii 
transfers of binary files show up in the logs.

Ian.