Subject: [513] won't work: ls -l and dir on Solaris

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 1994 10:40:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
  This is my first posting- so bear with me if I'm not as concise and
  clear as I should be.  I've install wu-ftd on a Sparc 10 running
  Solaris 2.3.  Everything seemed to go fine - except that I've received
  several complaints that 'ls -l' and 'dir' don't work.  I've read
  the notes on this problem posted to this list; however, i've had no
  success in getting it to work.  Here are the contents of my
  directories:

  ~ftp/usr/lib
  ftp{adkins}%ls
  ld.so*          lddstub*        libc.so.1.8.1*
  ld.so.1*        libc.so.1*      libdl.so.1.0*

~ftp/dev
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 42 Jun 29 11:52 tcp
crw-r--r--   1 root     other     13, 12 Oct  3 09:59 zero

This is what the commands look like when logging in as anonymous:

ftp> ls -l
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
dev
bin
pub
etc
usr
incoming
submit_grant
226 Transfer complete.
49 bytes received in 0.0035 seconds (13 Kbytes/s)
i

I'd appreciate it, if A Solaris and WU-FTPD expert would post the
solution to this.  

Thanks in advance.
-- 
+------------------------------------------------+---------------------+
|          Alfred L. Adkins Jr.                                        | 
|          ACL-1, FAA Technical Center                                 |
|          Atlantic City International Airport, NJ 08405               |
|    email|  [email-masked]           phone:  | 609-485-6393   |
+------------------------------------------------+---------------------+

---

From: "Carlyn M. Lowery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 1994 12:46:47 -0400

They work for me, except the user/group names don't display properly
for anonymous users.  Here's what's in my lib:

ld.so*         libc.so.1*     libintl.so*    libnsl.so.1*
ld.so.1*       libdl.so*      libintl.so.1*  libw.so*
libc.so*       libdl.so.1*    libnsl.so*     libw.so.1*

Please let me know if this helps, and if you are able to get user/group
names to work!  chroot ~ftp /bin/ls -l might show you something useful.

--Carlyn

---

From: [email-masked] (Swarna Chigullapalli)
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 1994 10:47:32 -0500 (EDT)

> 49 bytes received in 0.0035 seconds (13 Kbytes/s)
Hi,
	We have a solaris machine with wu-ftpd 2.4 running on it.
I think the reason why ls -l and dir are not working on your machine 
is that you dont have all the required libraries to run them. 
 ls -l listing of our ~ftp/usr/lib directory is
-r-xr-xr-x   1 kmortens mingers    68508 Apr 15  1993 ld.so.1*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 kmortens mingers   498840 Apr 15  1993 libc.so.1*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 kmortens mingers     4596 Apr 15  1993 libdl.so.1*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 kmortens mingers    13824 Apr 15  1993 libintl.so.1*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 kmortens mingers    29752 Apr 15  1993 libw.so.1*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 kmortens mingers    31880 Apr 15  1993 nswfiles.s

Hope this helps.

Swarna