Subject: [464] Configuring guest directories in anonymous ftp

From: [email-masked] (Sean Coleman 497-5672 )
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 1994 00:01:03 -0600 (MDT)

1. How do I configure wu-ftpd so my users can have special
subdirectories beneath the main anonymous ftp directory
where only certain select users are allowed read and write
access to the directory? Do I have to use the guestgroup command
and put users from other non-NIST sites in my password file or
can I configure the server so my users can manage their own space,
authorize access to users from outside of NIST and not have to
mess with the passwd file?

2. How does one generate an encrypted password to be put in the
ftpgroups file? Is there a program to do this? Do I need to write 
one?

3. Finally, using plain ftp client, how would a users execute 
a SITE GROUP and SITE GPASS command to be able to use the password
in the ftpgroups file? If the plain one doesn't work, what is 
recomended for a ftp client?

I am  here at the LISA conference so if a wu-ftpd guru is
also here in San Diego, maybe we can meet.

Thanks for the help

Sean Coleman
NIST
[email-masked]