Subject: [450] Problems with incoming area permissions

From: Alan Cunningham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 1994 07:30:03 -0500 (CDT)

I have tried and tried to set up an incoming directory to permit users to 
blindly upload files to our system.  However, no matter what combination 
of permissions and upload lines in ftpaccess I try, the only message I 
get is permission denied.  I never see 'permission denied (upload)' like 
I see in the sources, so I must have something wrong much earlier.

The environmental data is: wu-ftpd-2.3 on SPARCserver 1000 with Solaris 2.3

I would welcome email from any successful sysadmins who have already 
crossed this mountain.

Many thanks.
/Alan/
===============
D. Alan Cunningham, KD4ESE, Principal Engineer NASA Spacelink Project
Computer Sciences Corporation, PrISMS at NASA/MSFC Phone:205-544-3091
Email: [email-masked]                    Fax:205-544-2362
Snail Mail: P.O. Box 240005  MS-301,       Huntsville, AL  35824-6405
Location:  Bldg 4727 Room 112, Marshall Space Flight Center, AL 35812
NASA Spacelink  Modems:205-895-0028  Internet:spacelink.msfc.nasa.gov

---

From: [email-masked] (Super User)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 1994 16:22:31 +0300 (WET)

> I would welcome email from any successful sysadmins who have already 
Remmove the PATH-ilter line from ftpaccess file.

Dostick.

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Salsbury)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 1994 09:38:15 -0700 (PDT)

Here's what I've got in our pub/incoming directory.....

>ls -al pub/incoming 	[From within our FTP tree]

total 13
dr-xr-sr-x 13 ftp           512 Sep  7 15:37 ./
dr-xr-sr-x 12 ftp           512 Aug 24 15:33 ../
drwxrwsrwx  2 ftp           512 Sep  8 08:02 carlm/
drwxrwsrwx  2 ftp           512 Sep 14 07:37 chrism/
drwxrwsrwx  2 ftp           512 Feb  3  1994 georgel/
drwxrwsrwx  2 ftp           512 Jun 23 08:02 haris/
drwxrwsrwx  2 ftp           512 Sep  2 10:23 lpesce/
drwxrwsrwx  2 ftp           512 Sep  9 07:49 misc/
drwxrwsrwx  2 ftp           512 Sep 14 14:28 mktg/
drwxrwsrwx  2 ftp           512 Sep  1 22:15 pats/
drwxrwsrwx  2 ftp           512 Aug 23 09:42 rolandl/
drwxrwsrwx  2 ftp           512 Jul  5 09:35 stevef/
drwxrwsrwx  2 ftp           512 Sep 13 08:23 timl/

	Thus, we have subdirectories which are world read/writable for various
people and groups. Then those people have a "drop box" for things coming in or
going out.

	Hope this helps!

Pat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	  Patrick Salsbury 				VisionWare
Technical Support/System Administration        4500 Bohannon Dr., Suite #280
	Voice: 415/325-2113		   	   Menlo Park, CA 94025
	 FAX: 415/325-8710		     X/UNIX/PC Integration Specialists