Subject: [249] Re: [248] 'Bad file number' prob w/ wu-2.4

From: [email-masked] (Clayton S. Ferner)
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 1994 14:09:14 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 01 Aug 1994 14:41:12 -0400 (EDT),
thus speaketh [email-masked]:

>Hi. I'm evaluating wu-ftpd2.4 under SCO 3.2v4.1 and when I FTP from a remote
>site to this box running it, I get the following error when I enter the 'dir'
>or 'ls' command:
>
>	425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.
>
>ckconfig ran OK and I checked permissions on all FTP-related files. I looked
>at the source and it seems like a getdatasock() call is failing because of
>an invalid file descriptor or something. What's really strange is that anon-
>ymous FTP works fine. 
>
>Any ideas??? Thank you for your assistance.		John

Yeah, I had the same problem with ftp and SCO.  I had to add write
permissions to /dev/socksys in real and anonymous space.  I don't know
if this creates a security problem or not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Clayton S. Ferner     | "My doctor said I needed to reduce my level of     |
| Dept. of Mathematics  |  stress.  He said I should relax, take some time   |
|    & Computer Science |  off, and be sure to smell the roses.  So I did... |
| University of Denver  |  Now I'm smelling 20 roses a week, and I hope by   |
|                       |  next month, I'll be up to smelling 30 a week!"    |
| [email-masked]     |         --- deceased                               |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------