Subject: [295] Re: 'Bad file number' ... SOLVED!!!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 1994 10:20:43 -0400 (EDT)

I thank each of you for your responses, but I still have a problem.

[email-masked] writes:
> Yeah, I had the same problem with ftp and SCO.  I had to add write
> permissions to /dev/socksys in real and anonymous space.  I don't know
> if this creates a security problem or not.

That's already there, as follows:

0 crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     66,   0 Jan 21  1994 /dev/socksys
0 crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     66,  0 Jan 07  1993 /acts/ftp/dev/socksys

[email-masked] writes:
> You need to add a device "tcp" in the ~ftp/dev directory.  You create this
> by using the "mknod" command.  Do an ls -al /dev/tcp to check the minor and
> major numbers on your system, then the command should be something like
>         mknod tcp c 11 42

I'm unsure why this is necessary since anonymous users can access FTP with
no problems, but others can't get in. 

AHA!!! When I replaced the wu-ftpd with the 'old one' from backups, I received
following error when attempting to login using a user's account:

	550 Can't set uid.
	Login failed.

I then went back to the SCO installation disks and replaced ftpd with the
original. Now it works OK. I then re-compiled the wu-ftpd and it seems to
work OK now. 

Any comments???

-- 
 +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
 | SOLINET (Southeastern Library Network) J Edwards [email-masked] |
 +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+