Subject: [268] why do not works?

From: [email-masked] (MMDD prototype development)
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 1994 12:36:04 +0000 (GMT)

In my previous message there are all my configurations for wu-ftpd.
Following the Ian Wilson message I have changed my ftpuser and 
I have also create the file /etc/shells.
However the situation for my installation is the follow:

220 
Name (snoopy:mmddprot): root
221 
ftp> ls
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
ftp> 

I see a dark tomorrow for me can you switch on that??

I would thanks Ian wilson for His precious help.

*madx (Paolino Madotto)

e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 1994 11:04:00 -0400

*madx / mmddprot / Paolino Madotto / Madotto Paolino says ...

> Name: root 
> ftp> ls
> 421 Service not available. remote server has closed connection

As Winfrid Magerl pointed out in [267] there seem to be two issues
1) Why does wu-ftpd exit on signal 11
2) Why does wu-ftpd not let you in

I don't use SunOs so I can't help with (1) (we have AIX, HP-UX, Ultrix and 
OSF/1). I believe the "ls" command is inbuilt within the ftpdaemon. I guess 
you've seen the discussion of dynamic vs statically linked "ls" for chroot'd 
accounts. I'm a bit suspicious of your pathnames.h putting utmp, wtmp and 
lastlog in funny places - do these files already exist? - maybe wu-ftpd expects 
them to. 

Maybe (1) is the cause of (2) but if not then fixing (2) may avoid (1) 
happening.

It looks like you are logging in as root.
I suggest logging in to ftpd as an ordinary user with a valid login account on 
the ftp server (i.e as someone who can telnet to the ftp server machine and have
a sucessful telnet session) - maybe userid mmdprot?

If that works then try logging in as user anonymous - make sure neither 
anonymous nor ftp are in /etc/ftpusers.

Only if those work move on to the more esoteric stuff.

Try turning up the debugging level on the server as well as logging every 
command - until you get things working. 

Ian.

(P.S. in [261] you sign off as "Madotto Paolino (*madx)" but in [268] you sign 
off as "*madx (Paolino Madotto)" so I'm confused as to which is your first name 
and whether you'd like to be addressed/referred-to/called "*madx" instead. :-)

---

From: "N.G.Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 1994 09:45:14 +0100

>Only if those work move on to the more esoteric stuff.

I suffered from these exact symptoms when I switched from a home grown
inetd to the inetd supplied with SunOS 4.1.3.

Using ups, I traced the problem to setproctitle(), the function which
places the last command in argv[0], (On SunOS 4 this is displayed when
you do a ps(1)). This function was writing off the end of a memory
page. Presumably this was due to SunOS 4.1.3's inetd laying out the
stack in a different way. My solution was to change one of the
#define's in the SunOS 4.1.3 configuration file to disable this useful
feature.

Of course, you may have a different problem entirely. I suggest that you
build a debugging version of your ftpd and attach to it at some suitable
point.

Neil Smith.
HENSA/Unix.