Subject: [323] User verification

From: Stuart Mottram <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 1994 15:55:36 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

I want to create an ftp site that will allow non-anonymous ftp to users
who are not contained within the /etc/passwd file. I have a seperate
database of user names/passwords that I would like to be used in addition
to the passwd file. I was wondering if anyone has done anything similar
with wu-ftpd before or if there were any major drawbacks to such an idea.

My only alternative I can see would be to mod the user verification code
myself using an external program to query my database and pass the
information in as a result. 

I am trying to create a system allowing the following 3 types of ftp
access.
1) Standard anon ftp to an anon ftp set of directories.
2) Standard real ftp for users in the passwd file
3) Secure ftp for users in the database to a limited directory structure
seperate to the anonymous one.

Any info would be appreciated.

Stu

---

From: "William L. Larson (Bill)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 1994 11:54:49 -0600 (MDT)

I REAL new to this so don't trust me at all, but ...

> seperate to the anonymous one.

Item's 1 & 2 are standard.  Item 3 could be handled in multiple ways.
If they were coming from a single area, couldn't you create a group
for them and allow group access to a seperate heirarchy?  Or if
known by name, them simply create new users with a common home
directory.  But I suspect that your question was more of "how 
can I have a seperate authorization list outside of /etc/passwd?"
And my solution does NOT answer your question.

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Salsbury)
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 1994 11:50:45 -0700 (PDT)

-I want to create an ftp site that will allow non-anonymous ftp to users
-who are not contained within the /etc/passwd file. I have a seperate
-database of user names/passwords that I would like to be used in addition
-to the passwd file. I was wondering if anyone has done anything similar
-with wu-ftpd before or if there were any major drawbacks to such an idea.
-
-I am trying to create a system allowing the following 3 types of ftp
-access.
-1) Standard anon ftp to an anon ftp set of directories.
-2) Standard real ftp for users in the passwd file
-3) Secure ftp for users in the database to a limited directory structure
-seperate to the anonymous one.
-
-Any info would be appreciated.
-
-Stu

	How about setting up one account in the passwd file, setting that
account up as a guest user, with a directory structure not open to anyone
outside of owner/group (if you want to set up a special group with accesses).
Then you can pass that one account's password to the subset of people you
want, give them access to certain files only, and make the account ftponly if
you wish, so that security is preserved. Setting them up as guest also allows
for them to be chrooted into the anon-FTP tree and not allowed to wander
around your system as a normal user could.

Here's a bit from my anon tree:

dr-xr-sr-x  3 root     wheel         512 Aug  9 08:43 bin/
dr-xr-sr-x  2 root     wheel         512 Sep 30  1993 dev/
dr-xr-sr-x  2 root     wheel         512 Sep 30  1993 etc/
dr-xr-s---  4 eval     eval          512 Aug  8 10:08 eval/
dr-xr-s---  2 exi      exi           512 Apr  7 12:14 exi/
dr-xr-sr-x 13 ftp      misc          512 Jul 28 14:21 pub/
dr-xr-sr-x  3 root     wheel         512 Sep 30  1993 usr/
-r--r--r--  1 root     wheel         108 Jul 27 11:14 welcome.msg

	Note that eval and exi are not open to anyone outside of those groups
and/or accounts. So anon users get 'permission denied' when trying to access.

	Hope this helps!

Pat (who's still not able to figure out the on-the-fly un/compresession
stuff...) 
:-(
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	  Patrick Salsbury 				VisionWare
Technical Support/System Administration        4500 Bohannon Dr., Suite #280
	Voice: 415/325-2113		   	   Menlo Park, CA 94025
	 FAX: 415/325-8710		     X/UNIX/PC Integration Specialists

---

From: [email-masked] (Swarna Chigullapalli)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 1994 13:23:08 -0500 (EDT)

> And my solution does NOT answer your question.
For the third option there is an option called guestgroup in 
wu-ftpd 2.4 or above. Please refer to the document INSTALL which
comes with the software.
Hope this helps
Swarna