Subject: [248] 'Bad file number' prob w/ wu-2.4

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 1994 14:41:12 -0400 (EDT)

Hi. I'm evaluating wu-ftpd2.4 under SCO 3.2v4.1 and when I FTP from a remote
site to this box running it, I get the following error when I enter the 'dir'
or 'ls' command:

	425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.

ckconfig ran OK and I checked permissions on all FTP-related files. I looked
at the source and it seems like a getdatasock() call is failing because of
an invalid file descriptor or something. What's really strange is that anon-
ymous FTP works fine. 

Any ideas??? Thank you for your assistance.		John
-- 
 +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
 | SOLINET (Southeastern Library Network) J Edwards [email-masked] |
 +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

---

From: Kris Lappala <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 1994 15:19:16 -0500 (CDT)

> Any ideas??? Thank you for your assistance.		John

You need to add a device "tcp" in the ~ftp/dev directory.  You create this
by using the "mknod" command.  Do an ls -al /dev/tcp to check the minor and
major numbers on your system, then the command should be something like
	mknod tcp c 11 42

Hope this helps.
n
p
	mknod tcp c 

-- 
Kris Lappala
[email-masked]

---

From: Jayme Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 1994 17:33:05 -0700 (PDT)

I have just grabed wu-ftpd and installed it. However, whenever I try to 
log in I get

421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

and my syslog says:

Aug 1 16:55:10 coyote ftpd[17014]: connection from rain.org [198.68.144.2] 
Aug 1 16:55:10 coyote ftpd[17014]: <--- 220 
Aug 1 16:55:10 coyote ftpd[17014]: coyote FTP server (Version wu-2.4(1) 
Sun Jul 31 22:50:02 PDT 1994) ready. 

Aug 1 16:55:12 coyote ftpd[17014]: command: USER ftp^M 
Aug 1 16:55:12 coyote ftpd[17014]: exiting on signal 11

I am using shadow passwords, but I would expect that would give an error 
or incorrect password or some such.

-- 
     _/_/_/      _/_/     _/     _/    _/   
    _/   _/    _/  _/    _/     _/_/  _/         Jayme Cox
   _/ _/_/    _/_/_/    _/     _/ _/ _/        [email-masked]
  _/  _/     _/  _/    _/     _/  _/_/      Network Administrator 
 _/   _/    _/  _/    _/     _/    _/   http://rain.org/~jayme/sig.html
Regional Alliance for Information Networking