Subject: [313] Shadow password support

From: Kolics Bertold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 1994 20:23:56 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello,

I've succeeded to compile the wu-ftpd-2.4 package on a Linux host.
(I'm using the kernel 1.1.21).
I have two questions:
1)
	I installed shadow password support on this system, because
we use the slackware distribution of Linux and it doesn't contain this
stuff. As far as I remember, the wu-ftpd package supports the shadow
passwords, but it looks, it doesn't. Real users can't log in, only the
anonymous user can. Next, I made a trick. I saved the shadow-style
/etc/passwd to a safe place and I replaced it with the original
non-shadow-style passwd file. And then real users could login as well.
Where did I make a mistake?

2)
	On-the-fly-compression doesn't work. I thought that some libraries
must be missing. So I made a softlink from the ~ftp/lib (~ftp=/home/ftp) to
../../lib . I got the same result.

Thanks in advance... (And I am sorry if these questions are FAQs).
Cheers,

Bertold
 
<-------------------------------     -=*=-    ------------------------------->
 Bertold, Kolics                               E-Mail: [email-masked]
 Student at Faculty of Information Technology 
 University of Veszprem, Hungary
<-------------------------------     -=*=-    ------------------------------->

---

From: [email-masked] (Leigh Hume)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 1994 00:04:58 +1000 (EST)

>From your last message :

> Where did I make a mistake?

I'll leave this to other correspondents. My box , a sun with 4.1.3 , has
shodown passwords and perhaps with some config options when building 
wu-ftp, it's all working fine for me, I think, ;-) . 

> ../../lib . I got the same result.

Anon ftp will do a chroot so it won't necessarily follow the soft link.
I've mimicked the /bin /lib dirs under ~ftp and put gzip etc in these
places as well. Again this is on a sun box.

-- 

Leigh HUME

Voice +61 2 850 9588	    Fax +61 2 850 9551	     Email [email-masked]
Post Mail: Dr Leigh Hume, School of MPCE, Macquarie University 2109, AUSTRALIA