Subject: [325] access problems

From: "William L. Larson (Bill)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 1994 10:45:42 -0600 (MDT)

Please forgive me, I have just installed wu-ftpd-2.4 under SunOS 4.1.3
and am having problems.  I have read the documentation and the Anon FTP
FAQ but can't discover my errors.

I have created a directory heirarchy for software distribution, but I
cannot get downloads to function.  The following is a partial listing
of the directory:

-rwxr--r--   1 root     staff         272 Aug  9 15:42 file1
-rw-r--r--   1 root     staff      512404 Aug  8 15:54 file2

I am able to retreive "file1", but not "file2".  When I do a "get
file2", I receive the standard response, but no data transfer occurs
and the transfer just sits there.

This does not appear to be a problem with file sizes, I have created a
massive sized file (>100MB) and have been successful in transfering it.

Permissions should not be a problem.  In fact they are identical.

This appears to occur for both "real" and "anonymous" users.

I have enabled debugging information to be written to syslog, but 
there appears to be no difference in the information logged for
either file.

On the both the client and server side, I can watch with netstat that
both the control and data sockets have been created.

The only difference that I can identify is that file2 was created prior
to file1, but attempting to get a new/different copy of file2 does not
solve the problem.  (Just noticed that file1 is executable, but a
simple chmod does appear to make any difference.)

Any ideas???

Bill Larson  ([email-masked])	Phone: (505)844-2103
Sandia National Laboratories		  FAX: (505)844-2067
Org. 13918 M/S 0806
PO Box 5800
Albuquerque NM 87185

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Salsbury)
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 1994 11:43:50 -0700 (PDT)

-I have created a directory heirarchy for software distribution, but I
-cannot get downloads to function.  The following is a partial listing
-of the directory:
-
--rwxr--r--   1 root     staff         272 Aug  9 15:42 file1
--rw-r--r--   1 root     staff      512404 Aug  8 15:54 file2
-
-I am able to retreive "file1", but not "file2".  When I do a "get
-file2", I receive the standard response, but no data transfer occurs
-and the transfer just sits there.
	Have you turned on 'hash' to see if data transfer is occuring?
Depending on the speed of your link, it might take 10 minutes or more to
transfer a file as large as file2. Stopping in the middle may invalidate the
transfer and erase the file.

Pat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	  Patrick Salsbury 				VisionWare
Technical Support/System Administration        4500 Bohannon Dr., Suite #280
	Voice: 415/325-2113		   	   Menlo Park, CA 94025
	 FAX: 415/325-8710		     X/UNIX/PC Integration Specialists

---

From: "William L. Larson (Bill)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 1994 23:18:04 -0600 (MDT)

> and the transfer just sits there.

Further symptoms.  This problem occurs with compressed files.  I have
taken a compressed file, attempted to transfer it and failed.  I then
uncompressed it and succeeded in copying it.  Re-compressed it and
again failed.

For example, I have performed the following:

For a text file "PLAIN", I can download.  I compress this file
creating "PLAIN.Z" which cannot download.  If gzip is used to
create "PLAIN.gz", the download also fails.

Take a text file "PLAIN" and compress it (compress or gzip, it
doesn't appear to matter), creating "PLAIN.Z".  Rename this
file to "PLAIN.COMPRESSED" (so there is no suffix to work with).
The file "PLAIN.COMPRESSED" will not download.

Take a compressed file "TEST.tar.Z" (I CAN upload these files),
and attempt to download and fail.  Uncompress this file to
create "TEST.tar" which can download.

Someone suggested toggling "HASH" to see if anything is being
transfered.  NO, nothing is being transfered.  (By the way,
along with this suggestion was a comment that a slow network
link may make the transfer appear to fail.  I'm on an FDDI
ring at 100MB and actually obtaining very high data transfer
rates when everything works.)

Is there any possibility that the "ftpconversions" could be
causing any of this problem?  My "ftpconversions" file contains:

 :.Z:  :  :/bin/compress -d -c %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:UNCOMPRESS
 :   : :.Z:/bin/compress -c %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:COMPRESS
 :.gz: :  :/bin/gzip -cd %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:GUNZIP
 :   : :.gz:/bin/gzip -9 -c %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:GZIP
 :   : :.tar:/bin/tar -c -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_TAR:TAR
 :   : :.tar.Z:/bin/tar -c -Z -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+COMPRESS

This was taken from the wu-ftp-2.4/doc/examples/ftpconversions file.
Note that there is actually a space at the begining of each line.  (The
results with renamed compressed files would indicate to me that this
problem is NOT the reason, but ...)