Subject: [368] Problem with Getting .tar.Z and .tar.gz Files

From: "Saminda Lam, CCST HKUST, Tel: 358-6209" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 1994 19:33:48 HKT

I have set up wu-ftpd 2.4 on a Solaris 2.3 machine.  In ~ftp/bin, I
have:
	compress, gzip, tar (GNU), ls

There is no problem with:

	get foo.Z
	get foo.gz
	get foo.tar

Yet, the followings do not work:

	get foo.tar.Z
	get foo.tar.gz

No error returned but the file transferred is 0 byte.  Any idea what has
gone wrong?

The following is my /etc/ftpconversions:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 :.Z:  :  :/bin/compress -d -c %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:UNCOMPRESS
 :   : :.Z:/bin/compress -c %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:COMPRESS
 :.gz: :  :/bin/gzip -cd %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:GUNZIP
 :   : :.gz:/bin/gzip -9 -c %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:GZIP
 :   : :.tar:/bin/tar -c -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_TAR:TAR
 :   : :.tar.Z:/bin/tar -c -Z -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+COMPRESS
 :   : :.tar.gz:/bin/tar -c -z -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+GZIP
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance,
Saminda Lam ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul van Gool)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 94 14:04:30 METDST

> No error returned but the file transferred is 0 byte.  Any idea what has
Hi there,

I had a problem with that also on our HP 735. I tried to set up on anonymous
account with a chroot. In my case the problem was that gzip, compress and tar
use shared libs and because I did a chroot, it couldn't start the dynamic
loader for the shared libs (dld.sl). I solved it by getting GNU zip and tar and
compress.tar from ftp.uu.net and compiling them without shared libs.
Now it works great.

Paul
--
"They're filming Rocky V now.  This one's being billed as `Rocky's Greatest 
Challenge', so I guess there's an IQ test involved."
	-- Jay Leno
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| internet   : [email-masked]    Faculty of Aerospace Engineering |
| compuserve : 100407,3063                Delft University of Technology   |
| phone      : +31-15-785312              Kluyverweg 1,  2629 HS Delft     |
| fax        : +31-15-781822              The Netherlands                  |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: "Alec H. Peterson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 1994 09:14:50 -0400 (EDT)

Paul van Gool writes:
>loader for the shared libs (dld.sl). I solved it by getting GNU zip and tar 
>and compress.tar from ftp.uu.net and compiling them without shared libs.
>Now it works great.

Hmmm, I thought that this may be the problem, but he said that just getting
stuff with the single extension (foo.Z or foo.gz) worked just fine.  Were it
a problem with shared libs, then none of it would work...

Alec

-- 
Alec Peterson                           Panix Public Access UNIX and Internet
[email-masked]                       New York City, NY

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul van Gool)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 94 16:03:50 METDST

> a problem with shared libs, then none of it would work...
I telneted to the ftp port and the daemon gave a clear error message about
not being able to access dld.sl (the dynamic library loader).

Paul

---

From: "Alec H. Peterson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 1994 11:07:03 -0400 (EDT)

>not being able to access dld.sl (the dynamic library loader).

I stand corrected.

Alec