Subject: [413] RE [412] - README* files

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 15:37:08 +0100

> My question concerns the README* files...

The * there is just a wildcard character. So that for any file
beginning README, wu-ftpd will put a message "please read the
file ... ". You may want different files that ftp'ers should
read, e.g. README, README-NEWS, README-downloading, etc.

I think the config file allows any filename pattern to trigger
the "please read" message, "README" is the conventionak one.

----------------------------------+------------------------
 Dr Phillip Kent                  | Email: [email-masked] 
 Transitional Mathematics Project | 
 Mathematics Department           | Tel: +44 (0)71 59 48503 
 Imperial College                 | Fax: +44 (0)71 59 48517   
 180 Queen's Gate                 |   
 London SW7 2BZ                   | 
 United Kingdom.                  |
----------------------------------+------------------------

---

From: "The best things in life ... are fantasy." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 11:08:16 -0400 (EDT)

Aha! Thank you. For some reason I must have missed any explanation about
that and about `triggering' messages in general. :)

PCVS