Subject: [328] Inside ftpaccess

From: "The best things in life ... are fantasy." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 1994 14:02:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hello all,

I have some rather naive questions to ask but as I am rather inexperienced at 
this sort of thing I'd appreciate your patience and any help you can give me.

I am at present in the midst of installing wu-ftpd-2.4 onto a sun3 running
sunos 4.1. I've reached the point where the instructions say to copy over
such files as ftphosts, ftpcaonversions, ftpaccess and so on. All I have for
these are the files included in the examples directory in the distribution.
My problem arises in that I am certain I will need to edit these to suit our
purposes here. Unfortunately I do not understand perfectly what is being
said/done all the time. Can anyone refer me to some reference material? Our
main use of ftp will be to set up an anonymous ftp account to distribute some
specialized software. We want a secure and highly restricted site.

Thank you in advance,

PCVS

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Salsbury)
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 1994 12:16:52 -0700 (PDT)

-I've reached the point where the instructions say to copy over
-such files as ftphosts, ftpcaonversions, ftpaccess and so on. All I have for
-these are the files included in the examples directory in the distribution.
-My problem arises in that I am certain I will need to edit these to suit our
-purposes here. Unfortunately I do not understand perfectly what is being
-said/done all the time. Can anyone refer me to some reference material? 
-Thank you in advance,
-PCVS
	When you install the server, it should put some manpages into your man
tree. Possibly a local man tree if you've specified such. I have the following
that were installed for me:

-rw-rw-rw-  1 root        11568 Jul 22 09:02 ftpd.8
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bin           374 Jul 22 08:51 ftpcount.1*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bin           450 Jul 22 08:51 ftpwho.1*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bin         13744 Jul 22 08:51 ftpaccess.5*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bin           931 Jul 22 08:51 ftpconversions.5*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bin           618 Jul 22 08:51 ftphosts.5*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bin         10335 Jul 22 08:51 ftpd.8*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bin          2175 Jul 22 08:51 ftpshut.8*

	Might try just typing 'man ftpaccess' and seeing if you get
something... 

Pat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	  Patrick Salsbury 				VisionWare
Technical Support/System Administration        4500 Bohannon Dr., Suite #280
	Voice: 415/325-2113		   	   Menlo Park, CA 94025
	 FAX: 415/325-8710		     X/UNIX/PC Integration Specialists