Subject: [294] access

From: [email-masked] (Brian Moldover)
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 1994 10:19:15 -0400

Wow, something grunged my last message. 

I have wu-ftp 2.4 currently set up with anonymous ftp and working prefectly. 
What I need to do is create a subdirectory in /pub that would be accessible
only to one account. The subdirectory would preferably be invisible to all 
other users, but as long as it is inaccessible to all but the one account
that is acceptable.

I've tried setting up a separate user account, however it logs them into
their home directory. If I can set it up as desired, they would have the
home directory used by anon ftp, plus additional access to the desired 
subdirectory. 

How can I do this? Also, I'd like to restrict their system access, the way
anon ftp does using a chroot().

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Campbell)
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 1994 08:05:24 -0700 (PDT)

> other users, but as long as it is inaccessible to all but the one account
One way I've seen suggested to do this (in a CERT advisory) is to have
a directory which cannot be searched by anyone (444 permissions) which
has the private directories in it with names known only by the accounts
that need them.  The names for these directories should be selected
such that they won't be guessable (i.e. look like an encrypted
password /tmp/ZQIQQwKLPkLbs as an example).

Bill
--
INTERNET:  [email-masked]   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:              camco!bill   8545 SE 68th Street
FAX:           (206) 232-9186   Mercer Island, WA 98040; (206) 947-5591

When a place gets crowded enough to require ID's, social collapse is
not far away.  It is time to go elsewhere.  The best thing about space
travel is that it made it possible to go elsewhere.
		-- Robert Heinlein

---

From: [email-masked] (Swarna Chigullapalli)
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 1994 11:09:51 -0500 (EDT)

> anon ftp does using a chroot().  
There is a provision for doing this in wu-ftpd 2.4. This can be done by
specifying the group of the account you created as guestgroup in the
ftpaccess file. More information about it is given in the INSTALL document
with the software.
Hope this helps.
Swarna