Subject: [210] How do I ...

From: [email-masked] (Clayton S. Ferner)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 13:39:45 -0600 (MDT)

I've installed ftpd and everything is working great.  But before I allow
users to upload files, I would like to prompt them for a brief (1 line)
description for each file they are sending.  Does anyone have any 
suggestions for how this might best be done?  I can't see how a user 
would be able to answer any reply I would send.

Thanks,
clayton

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Clayton S. Ferner     |                                                   |
| Dept. of Mathematics  |     "Make sure your code 'does nothing'           |
|    & Computer Science |      gracefully."                                 |
| University of Denver  |             --- Brian Kernighan                   |
|                       |                                                   |
| [email-masked]     |                                                   |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Salsbury)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 13:24:47 -0700 (PDT)

-I've installed ftpd and everything is working great.  But before I allow
-users to upload files, I would like to prompt them for a brief (1 line)
-description for each file they are sending.  Does anyone have any 
-suggestions for how this might best be done?  I can't see how a user 
-would be able to answer any reply I would send.
-
-Thanks,
-clayton
-
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-| Clayton S. Ferner     |                                                   |
-| Dept. of Mathematics  |     "Make sure your code 'does nothing'           |
-|    & Computer Science |      gracefully."                                 |
-| University of Denver  |             --- Brian Kernighan                   |
-|                       |                                                   |
-| [email-masked]     |                                                   |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	Would that be a job for the _PATH_EXECPATH directory in /bin/ftp-exec?
Perhaps you could write some sort of script which prompts the user and writes
each answer into a log file of some sort...
	Just general ideas. I'm not sure of the particulars as to how to go
about doing it...

	Hope this helps!

Pat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	  Patrick Salsbury 				VisionWare
Technical Support/System Administration        4500 Bohannon Dr., Suite #280
	Voice: 415/325-2113		   	   Menlo Park, CA 94025
	 FAX: 415/325-8710		     X/UNIX/PC Integration Specialists