Subject: [133] Re: [132] Another FAQ

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 1994 08:50:00 -0500 (EST)

Yesterday (7/5/94) I posted a message with the same (or almost same) 
     problem as below. I solved it last night; here is what worked for me:
     
     The ftpd.c program is calling a function called "crypt()" for password 
     authentication. This function resides in my system C library (libc.a) 
     and also in the pseudo-Posix-compliant library (libcposix.a) and 
     they're not the same. Turns out, wu-ftpd uses routines from both, and 
     both are linked at link time. So it was pulling in crypt() from 
     libcposix.a instead of libc.a, and naturally the passwords are 
     encrypted by the Unix system using libc.a's version of crypt(). So I 
     backed up libcposix.a, removed crypt() from it, and recompiled. 
     Problem gone.
     
     My system is Interactive UNIX System V/386, release 3.2, version 3.0, 
     running on an Intel 486. Your system may not work the same way.
     
     Jim
     [email-masked]
     
>Hi,
     
>I compiled and configured wu-ftpd correctly on my HP-UX and now it works 
>fine. I made the same on AIX. ftp (anonymous) user works fine but when i try 
>to use it with real user this is the error message:
     
>530 User user_name access denied ... 
>login failed
     
>Can you help me?
     
>Thanks in advance
     
>Fabrizio Pivari
>E-mail: [email-masked]