Subject: [205] Setup a wellcome page for anonymous ftp account

From: [email-masked] (Howard Yeung)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 12:00:30 +0500

Hi, all!
	I just finished configuring and installing wu-ftpd.  It is
running fine now.  However, I still have a question...

	I edit the ftpaccess file and specify a wellcome for all ftp
users.  The wellcome page works fine for real account.  It doesn't
work for anonymous ftp users.  I double check the ftpaccess to make
sure that it has no error.  But the wellcome page for anonymous ftp
users just doesn't come up!

	I do a captuer of my lofin screen:

--- The wellcome page works fine here-----------
41%ftp athena
Connected to athena.
220 athena.nchgr.nih.gov FTP server (Version wu-2.4(2) Wed Jul 27 09:52:33 EDT 1994) ready.
Name (athena:hyeung): hyeung
331 Password required for hyeung.
Password:
230-#########################################
230-#   Wellcome to NCHGR FTP server        #
230-#   If you have any questions, please   #
230-#   contact LAN support at 301-402-2536 #
230-#   OR email to Howard Yeung at         #
230-#   [email-masked]                #
230-#                                       #
230-#########################################
230-The local time is Wed Jul 27 11:53:42 1994              
230-Your user name is hyeung                       
230-The current working directory is /home/hyeung
230-You are login from gaea
230-
230-
230-Please read the file /opt/local/etc/login.readme
230-  it was last modified on Wed Jul 27 11:20:04 1994 - 0 days ago
230 User hyeung logged in.

------------The wellcome page DOESN'T work here ----
42%ftp athena
Connected to athena.
220 athena.nchgr.nih.gov FTP server (Version wu-2.4(2) Wed Jul 27 09:52:33 EDT 1994) ready.
Name (athena:hyeung): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> 

------------END------------------

	Is there anything wrong with any ftpaccess file ?

------------ftpaccess capture--------------
class   all   real,guest,anonymous  *

limit   all   10   Any              /etc/msgs/msg.dead

readme  /opt/local/etc/login.readme    LOGIN
readme  README*    cwd=*

message /opt/local/etc/login.msg       LOGIN    all     
message .message                        cwd=*

compress        yes             local remote
tar             yes             local remote

log commands real
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound

shutdown /etc/shutmsg

email user@hostname

-----------END--------------

The anonymous account entry in /etc/passwd
ftp:x:30000:30000:Anonymous ftp:/opt/ftp:/nosuchshell

Any help will be appreciated!

Howard Yeung
UNIX Admin, NCHGR/NIH

---

From: [email-masked] (Troy Curtiss)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 09:37:26 -0700 (PDT)

> readme  /opt/local/etc/login.readme    LOGIN
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> message /opt/local/etc/login.msg       LOGIN    all

Howard,
	It would be my suspicion that wu-ftpd is doing its chroot
	before reading the readme file (with the anonymous login, not
	the real one), therefore it is searching for
	'/opt/local/etc/login.readme' underneath the chrooted anonymous
	ftp directory (according to your fake passwd file,
	'/opt/ftp').  You can quickly fix this by creating yourself a
	mirror of the readme file under
	'/opt/ftp/opt/local/etc/login.readme'.  That's probably the
	most straightforward solution, although it involves making the
	readme file exist in two places at once (revision control
	problems, if you are concerned about such...).  If that doesn't
	work, post again... Good luck.

Troy Curtiss, HW/SW Engineer
Merix Corporation
[email-masked]