Subject: [131] Real users can't log in

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 1994 10:14:27 -0500 (EST)

Hi.
     
     I've compiled and installed WU-ftpd 2.4, and anonymous users work just 
     fine, but real users can't log in. Ftpd tells them "login incorrect".
     
     System: Interactive UNIX System V/386, Release 3.2, Version 3.0. 
     ("build isc") running on an Intel 486 with 16 megs RAM, lotsa disk...
     
     Ftpd configuration: ftpaccess is little changed from the way it is 
     distributed; only changed parts dealing with informational messages. 
     "ckconfig" says all ok. Changed inetd.conf to use the WU ftpd in place 
     of orignial ftpd. Have tried various command line combos, nothing lets 
     real users in. Added a line "allow * *" to ftphosts just to be sure.
     
     Have tried /etc/shells containing "/bin/sh" and also no /etc/shells at 
     all. Have no idea if this has anything to do with it.
     
     Any ideas?
     
     BTW, is this mailing list archived anywhere?
     
     Thanks.
     
     -Jim

  James L. Goldman, CCP     Director, Information Management Systems
  Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics  (SIAM)
  3600 University City Science Center,  Philadelphia  PA  19104-2688
  Phone: 215-382-9800    FAX: 215-386-7999    e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Swarna Chigullapalli)
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 1994 12:43:22 -0500 (EDT)

>      all. Have no idea if this has anything to do with it.

/etc/shells should contain all the acceptable shells you 
assign to the users. If a user who has a shell not in the /etc/shells
logs in he will not be allowed to.

Hope it helps
Swarna