Subject: [164] Two Questions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 16:51:21 -0400

Hello.  I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to allow users to log in as anonymous, but restrict where they come
   from by username@hostname?

I am trying this with the ftphosts file, with no success.  I initially read the man page
to mean that this was possible, but now after some experimentation and a look at the code
it looks like I can only restrict by hostname:

allow * foohost.domain

since:

allow fooname foohost.domain

seems to deny anonymous logins from foohost.domain, whereas I wish to restrict anonymous
logins from foohost.domain to only user fooname.  (This way, I do not need to give away an
account.)

2. Could I have an example of how the tar/compress stuff works, please?  I don't know how to
   check if is working or not.  (If I have ever used it myself, it was invisible to me...)

Of course, I have in ftpaccess

tar		yes	all
compress	yes	all

all is the only class, and I have bin/tar (gnu), bin/compress (sun), and all
the stuff in lib.

Thanks in advance,

Bob.
[email-masked]

---

From: "The best things in life ... are fantasy." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 17:39:17 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Bob,

I don't know if this will help, but if you want to see tar in action try
using the switch v (for verbose) next time you run tar. For example to
see a listing of the contents of a tarfile do:
	tar tvf filename.tar

Hope this helps. Try doing a man (or help) on the command tar. :)

PCVS (ACC)