Subject: [159] getpeername (ftpd): Socket operation on non-socket

From: Terje Thoegersen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 1994 14:29:18 +0200

Hi!

I've built wu-ftpd 2.1c and 2.4 on my Unisys U6000/75 running 
DYNIX/ptx 1.3.1. (this is a SYSV3.2 Unix with some POSIX and BSD
enhancements)

Whenever I connect to the machine in question I get the following in syslog :

Jul  7 15:02:10 vkhfun02 syslog: getpeername (ftpd): Socket operation on non-socket
Jul  7 15:02:10 vkhfun02 syslog: getsockname (ftpd): Socket operation on non-socket
Jul  7 15:02:13 vkhfun02 ftpd[27790]: connection from localhost [0.0.0.0]
Jul  7 15:02:17 vkhfun02 ftpd[27790]: FTP session closed

The client sees : 
% ftp vkhfun02.hfi
Connected to vkhfun02.hfi.hydro.com.
220 vkhfun02 FTP server (Version wu-2.4(10) Fri Jul 8 11:50:53 MET 1994) ready.
Name (vkhfun02.hfi:hktth): hktth
221 You could at least say goodbye.
ftp> dir
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
ftp> quit

I've found the getpeername/getsockname calls in the very beginning of 
ftpd.c, leading me to believe that ftpd expects inetd to do some house-
cleaning before control is passed to ftpd, and that perhaps my version 
of inetd doesn't, or has other conventions.

Has anyone seen something like this?

  -Terje

_________________________________________________________________
Terje Thoegersen, Systems Consultant, Norsk Hydro a.s, Hydro Data
N-0240 Oslo, Norway. Tel : +47 22 43 23 46  Fax : +47 22 43 27 47
   		   [email-masked]