Subject: [223] Command logging

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Foot)
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 1994 09:34:03 -0300 (BST)

----- Begin Included Message -----

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 15:58:30 -0700
From: Rob Tanner <[email-masked]>
Subject: [213] Need more start up info
To: [email-masked]
Errors-To: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
Content-Length: 969
X-Lines: 24
Status: RO

With some effort and a little help from my friends (i.e., fellow
subscribers to this list), I found where command logging is done, and
even changed it to suit my particulars.
_______________________

Could some one post the answer to this question, i.e. where does logging
information end up? I am in a simmalar sittuation and was I was waiting 
for the resolution to this one :-o

Thanks 
	Jeremy
________________________

Now I find I'm caught betwixt and between.  I would like to do debug
level logging, but only for anonymous users.  If I set the debug
switch (-d), I get everything, including plain-text passwords for
regular users (and that ain't swift).

Anyone know how I can have my cake and eat it too on this one.

Thanks,
Rob

      _ _ _ _           _    _ _ _ _ _  
     /\_\_\_\_\        /\_\ /\_\_\_\_\_\  
    /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  Robert J. Tanner
   /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/       Ames Research Center
  /\/_/_/_/_/ /\_\  /\/_/    /\/_/        (415) 604-3451 (SETI)
 /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (415) 604-5347 (Kuiper)
 \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/          [email-masked]
 ____________________________________________________________________

----- End Included Message -----

---

From: Rob Tanner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 1994 07:42:28 -0700

>even changed it to suit my particulars.

In the src directory there is a file called config.h.  In that header
file you will find a line that says LOG_DAEMON.  That tells you that
it logs to syslog as a daemon process.  Since my real interest is to
monitor anonymous ftp, I changed it to LOG_LOCAL2, rebuilt the system,
and modified /etc/syslog.conf to route info.local2 to its own log
file. 

-- Rob