Subject: [169] wrong group with real users

From: [email-masked] (Rob Parry)
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 1994 14:07:29 -0400 (EDT)

Whenever a real user puts a file on the machine with the ftp server
running, the group for the file is set to system and not the uses
default group. I've also noticed that the group is also set to system
based on the way dir works. I'm running over AIX. -- could this be the
reason?  I already know about the fix for /etc/shells.

Here is my ftpaccess file:

# ftpaccess file 
# last edited June 20, 1994 by rmp
#
# comments begin with a pound (#) sign and continue to the end of the
# line.  Blank lines are ignored.

# deny  *.wustl.edu /usr/local/src/System/usr.etc/ftpd/message.deny
# deny  0.0.0.0     /usr/local/src/System/usr.etc/ftpd/message.deny
# deny * /archive/etc/msgs/msg.dead

loginfails 2

# define a "dead" class in case we want to "shut down" the ftp server for
# a while (this class, which has a 0-user limit, will print a nice message
# to all new connections telling them to go away and come back later)
# class dead    real,anonymous  *

# define a class of local users (sites which are directly connected to
# our local network.
# 192.94.164.* is *.arsusda.gov [somewhat more secure].
class   local   real,anonymous 192.94.164.*
# and everybody else...
class   remote  real,anonymous *

# define the user limits for various times
# for remote users, limit to 40 users during off-peak hours and 10 during
# peak hours (off-peak ::= Saturday, Sunday or 6PM to 6AM weekdays)
limit   dead    0   Any                 /usr/local/etc/msgs/dead.ftpd
limit   local   20  Any                 /usr/local/etc/msgs/toomany.ftpd
limit   remote  40 SaSu|Any1800-0600    /usr/local/etc/msgs/toomany.ftpd
limit   remote  10  Any                 /usr/local/etc/msgs/toomany.ftpd

# remind the users to read the darn README files
readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

# let them know about special features of the archives
# message /etc/msgs/mirrors.msg   cwd=/mirrors
message /.welcome.msg   LOGIN
message .message           CWD=*

# let everyone compress/uncompress files on the fly
compress        yes             local remote
# ... and tar things, too.
tar             yes             local remote

# log all commands the users execute (USER, PASS, NLST, PORT, *EVERYTHING*)
# this can run to several (i.e. 5-10) megabytes/day for a heavily used
# archive site
# log commands anonymous,real

# log all file transfers to and from the archives
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound

# shutdown /etc/shutmsg

Thanks!

 -- Rob

     +-----------------------------------------------------------------+
     |   Rob Parry                       [email-masked]   |
     |   USDA-ARS-Hydrology Lab          Voice: (301) 504-8625         |
     |   Beltsville, MD  USA             Fax:   (301) 504-8931         |
     +-----------------------------------------------------------------+