Subject: [229] path of gzip and GNU tar

From: [email-masked] (David J. MacKenzie)
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 1994 11:18:32 -0400

My ftpconversions file works fine for anonymous users -- compress,
gzip, and GNU tar are all in ~ftp/bin.  But for regular users, GNU tar
and gzip are in /usr/local/bin, which isn't in the PATH that inetd
sets up for ftpd, so GNU tar can't exec gzip if someone ftp's in as
themself and requests a .tar.gz version of a directory.

Perhaps ftpd should have a feature for adding to PATH in the ftpaccess
or ftpconversions file?  I could recompile GNU tar to hardcode a path
to gzip, but I'm not convinced that's the most elegant solution.  It
would be better for things to work out of the box.

I know this is only a small problem.

---

From: Geffers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 1994 13:41:05 +0100 (MESZ)

Hilo!
> I know this is only a small problem.
 It's realy small.
 I've made ~/ftp/bin
	   ~/ftp/usr/bin
	   ~/ftp/usr/local/bin  and put all the files on the *right*
 place.
 All works fine.
 Exactly:  System                   FTP
	   /bin/ls		~ftp/bin/ls
	   /usr/bin/compress	~ftp/usr/bin/compress
	   /usr/local/bin/gtar	~ftp/usr/local/bin/gtar
	   /usr/local/bin/gzip	~ftp/usr/local/bin/gzip
 And I need only
  ~ftp/lib/dld.sl
  ~ftp/lib/libc.sl
 And I don't need
  ~ftp/dev/<anything>
 My System (uname -srm): HP-UX rzis1 B.09.00 A 9000/42T

 In the ftpaccess file it calls
 compress	yes              local remote
 gzip            yes             local remote
 tar             yes             local remote
# tar! instead of gtar. I don't know why. But gzip for gzip.

Now a question: In some mails I've seen the commands 'odump' and
                'trace' for other system as HPUX.
		Does anybody know this command for HPUX?

 Mit freundlichen Gruessen

 Ralf Geffers

#===================================================================#
# Ralf Geffers  Rechenzentrum        tel   0531-391-5541            #
#               TU Braunschweig      fax   0531-391-5549            #
# Gruppe        D-38092 Braunschweig email [email-masked]       #
# Anwendungen   Germany                                             #
#===================================================================#