Subject: [190] Help with "dir"

From: [email-masked] (John F. Detke)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 1994 13:45:57 -0700 (PDT)

I've tried looking thru the source, and haven't gotten very far. What's the
obvious setup I'm missing that is preventing anon users from running "dir"?
ls works fine, but dir returns nothing. I've checked the obvious (to me ;)
perms, and made sure ls is in ~ftp/bin (as well as ~ftp/bin/ftp-exec, altho
I'm not sure it is needed there.) This is SunOS, so I've copied over
the shared libs (in prep for getting gnu's ls, and putting a static version 
in.)

I'm sure I've missed something obvious, but can't figure out what. I've looked
for a FAQ, but can't seem to find one (wuarchive won't let me in, too many
users when I try).

thanks,
-- 
John F. Detke	| "It was long ago,
[email-masked]	|  It was far away.
EIT Corp.	|  It was so much better than it is today"	-Meatloaf BOOH I

---

From: [email-masked] (Troy Curtiss)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 1994 14:44:45 -0700 (PDT)

You have probably missed a shared library.  I posted something up here
about a week ago describing all of the shared libs I needed, but I lost
that original file.  Just do a 'trace ls' and make note of all the
libraries called in the resulting output.  Copy 'em over, make sure you
have /etc/passwd, and /etc/group, and whammo!  This worked on SunOS
4.1.3_U1 here... after weeks of futile FAQ-perusing and such... If you
need a list of the ones [libs] I needed, email me directly and I can
dig it out of our system.  Good luck..

Troy Curtiss, HW/SW Engineer
Merix Corporation
[email-masked]