Subject: [171] Password length restriction of 8 chars

From: [email-masked] (David Macfarlane)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 1994 11:29:18 -0400 (EDT)

Is it true that the password is truncated at 8 characters?
Whenever I assign a password of longer than 8 characters to
a user, that user is unable to log in using wu-ftpd 2.4
on my SunOS 4.1.3 Sparcstation 1+.

Not being a yacc hack, I can't tell where the allocation for
the character strings is made, so I can't (easily) change it.
I can dig, but I thought this might have come up before and
there might be a simple answer.  BTW, I am running the
Shadow Password system, and the defines for that really
helped install things.

Thanks.

	David.

David R.D. Macfarlane    |voice: 212-| "Intel Inside"
[email-masked]  | 783-5279  | --a warning required by the
                         |           |   truth in advertising laws.

---

From: Lee McLoughlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 1994 17:30:48 +0100

On Jul 18, 11:29am, David Macfarlane wrote:
} Subject: [171] Password length restriction of 8 chars
} 
} Is it true that the password is truncated at 8 characters?
} Whenever I assign a password of longer than 8 characters to
} a user, that user is unable to log in using wu-ftpd 2.4
} on my SunOS 4.1.3 Sparcstation 1+.

I've had no problem with the server truncating passwords.  Most ftp clients
chop it at 8, that is probably where the problem is.
	Lee

-- 
--
Lee McLoughlin.                          Phone: +44 171 594 8388
Dept of Computing, Imperial College,     Fax: +44 71 584 8301
180 Queens Gate, London, SW7 2BZ, UK.    Email: [email-masked]