Subject: [222] anonymous ftp

From: [email-masked] (Maurizio Codogno)
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 1994 08:24:36 +0100

% >My /dev directory looks like this:
% >
% >d--x--x--x  2 root          512 Mar 15 21:46 .
% >drwxr-xr-x  8 root          512 Jul 26 16:53 ..
% >crw-rw-rw-  1 ftp        3,  12 Apr 15 10:57 zero
% >
% 
% 1.  It shouldn't be owned by ftp, should be owned by root
% 2.  It should not be writable by anyone other than the user (root)
% (I could anonymous ftp to ftp.lupine.org right now and do a ``del /dev/zero''
%  and more than likely wipe it out)
% 
% crw-r--r--  1 root     somegrp     3,  12 May 13 22:12 zero
% 

Yet *my* ftpd doesn't accept dir command (and I am pretty sure it did - I
tried it when installing, as it was pointed out that it was a problem.

Currently, my ~ftp/dev contains

crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 42 Apr  6 09:50 tcp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11,  9 Apr  6 09:51 ticotsord
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 41 Apr  6 09:51 udp
crw-rw-r--   1 root     other     13, 12 Jul 28 08:16 zero

(Solaris 2.3) and my ~ftp/usr/lib

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      24576 Apr  6 09:45 ld.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      90312 Apr  6 15:14 ld.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other     563012 Apr  6 09:45 libc.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other     563012 Apr  6 15:15 libc.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other       3296 Apr  6 09:45 libdl.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other       3296 Apr  6 15:15 libdl.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      12764 Apr  6 09:45 libintl.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      12764 Apr  6 15:15 libintl.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other     482944 Apr  6 09:45 libnsl.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      76088 Apr  6 09:45 libsocket.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      33052 Apr  6 09:45 libw.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      33052 Apr  6 15:15 libw.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      10496 Apr  6 09:45 nss_dns.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      16304 Apr  6 09:45 nss_files.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      25584 Apr  6 09:45 nss_nis.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      28828 Apr  6 09:45 nss_nisplus.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other       9264 Apr  6 09:45 straddr.so

(a waste of space, I know). What did I forget?

ciao, .mau.