Subject: [82] ls -l problem

From: Peter Lipp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 1994 16:22:24 +0200 (MET DST)

I have setup wu-ftpd 2.4 seemingly successfully. 
The only things that does not work are:

- ls -l  or  dir do not produce any output.
  (yes, there is a ls in /bin)
- I have put a compress and a gzip there too, I do not get error
   messages but whenever I do a get.tar.Z or get.tar.gz, nearly nothing 
   happens except a file of length 0 is transfered.

Do I have wrong modes?

(
dr-xr-xr-x  2 root          512 Jul  4 15:51 bin/
d--x--x--x  2 root          512 Jul  4 15:56 dev/
d--x--x--x  3 root          512 Jul  1 15:00 etc/
drwxr-x---  2 ftp           512 Jun 28 13:22 upload/
d--x--x--x  3 root          512 Jul  1 14:34 usr/

/disk1/ftp/bin:
total 438
---x--x--x  1 root        24576 Jun 28 12:42 compress*
---x--x--x  1 root        81920 Jul  4 15:51 gzip*
---x--x--x  1 root        13352 Jun 28 13:17 ls*
---x--x--x  1 root       319488 Jun 28 12:43 tar*

/disk1/ftp/dev
total 0
crw-rw-rw-  1 ftp        3,   2 Jul  4 15:56 null

Any hints  ?

Peter
-- 
Dipl.Ing. Dr. Peter Lipp - Institute for Applied Information Processing
Technische Universitaet Graz, Austria (University of Technology, Graz, Austria)
[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Blaine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 1994 12:25:24 -0400

This is the same as my message I sent out a week ago.  I'm having the same
problems, but I have gotten no response yet from people on this list.
Could someone please (if possible) take the time to answer the 2 following
questions!?  I honestly have gone over all of the configuration and
installation notes twice now and really cannot find anything I've done
wrong.

>   happens except a file of length 0 is transfered.
[ message deleted ]

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris D. Johnston)
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 1994 10:56:21 -0800 (PDT)

> d--x--x--x  3 root          512 Jul  1 14:34 usr/
Peter -

Here's my 'root' level:

surfcty:/home/ftp# ls -l
total 4
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Jun 26 22:43 bin/
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Jun 26 22:37 etc/
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Jun 26 23:00 lib/
drwxrwxrwx   9 ftp      root         1024 Oct 15  1993 pub/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            1 Jul 26  1993 usr -> ./

The one thing that I did not see in your heirarchy was a lib subdir.
In that subdirectory, you may need to have a copy of libc.so.4.x.x
It should have a mode of 555 and owned by root.root

-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       623620 Jun 26 23:00 libc.so.4*

> Peter
Another thing you may wish to look at:  Who are you when you 
login as anonymous.  I found that you cannot log in as 'anonymous'
when you are a super-user.

Hope this helps.

Chris

-- 
===============================================================
Chris D. Johnston  Surf City Software, Orange, CA  714/289-8543
[email-masked]                             fax: 714/289-1002

---

From: [email-masked] (Winfried Magerl)
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 1994 11:35:24 +0200 (MDT)

Hallo,

I hope I can help you a little bit, but nezt time you should add
your system type and some more infos to your directory structure.

> >  (yes, there is a ls in /bin)

Could be a missing device (/dev/zero on SGI) and/or missing shared libraries
(probably /lib/libc.so.1 or /usr/lib/libc.so.1 .....) and/or missing
loader (/lib/rld on SGI IRIX 5).

> >   happens except a file of length 0 is transfered.

The same.

Look at your man page to your original ftpd. It should tell you how to setup an
anonymous ftp directory (mostly, the man-page on IRIX 5.2 is alittle bit
confusing because they forget to say that you need the shared libs in
/usr/lib insted in /lib).

regards

	winfried

-- 
Winfried Magerl, Siemens Nixdorf AG, AP 1133
81739 Muenchen, Germany
Internet-Mail: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Swarna Chigullapalli)
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 1994 10:31:30 -0500 (EDT)

> crw-rw-rw-  1 ftp        3,   2 Jul  4 15:56 null

You need to have device files zero and tcp in your ~ftp/dev directory.

Hope it helps
Swarna