Subject: [83] Question and comment about ftpaccess file

From: Marc Evans - Contract Software Hacker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 1994 12:17:15 -0400

Hi -

Let me start by saying that I don't subscribe to this list, so please include 
my E-Mail address on any followups to this topic.

I have configured a system with wu-ftpd and included a number of upload lines. 
I noticed that the sample line does not conform to the documented format. I 
presume that this is a documentation error. Specifically, the <mode> field is 
not described.

My first question centers on the <mode> field referenced above. Is this field 
really an exp-licit mode, or rather a mask, or maybe something a bit more 
powerful such as the 2nd argument to most u*ix chmod(1) programs (permitting 
things like "u+rw,g-w+r,o-rwx")? The answer to this would appear to be 
important when considering the uploading of directory heirarchies, such that 
mode=0660 would not be desirable for directories, nor would mode 750 be 
desirable for many files.

My next question concerns a broader aspect of the upload lines. I would like 
to be able to permit uploading by a select <class> or <group> to specified 
locations, and disallow uploading to anyone not in that <class> or <group>. 
The upload directive appears to be global in nature, and not have any ability 
to associate a <class> nor <group> with it. Am I accurate in this statement? 
Is there a subtle way to achieve this through the use of "site group ..." and 
"site gpass ...", prior to upload requests?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

- <A HREF="http://WWW.Synergytics.Com/~marc">Marc</A>
===============================================================================
Marc Evans, Software Consultant       WB1GRH      Synergytics
E-Mail: [email-masked]                      21 Hinds Lane, Suite 23L
URL: http://WWW.Synergytics.Com/~marc             Pelham, NH, USA 03076-3013
PGP-2.6 key available upon request                +1 603 635 3857 (voice/fax)
MIME-1.0 & Enriched-Text mail accepted            Unix & X11 internals/apps
===============================================================================