Subject: [180] Problems with ftpd 2.4 & OSF/1 V2.0

From: Lars-Gunnar Olsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 1994 17:38:21 +0200

I have some problems with ftpd 2.4 under OSF/1 V2.0B. The first one is one that
has caught others, and which has been discussed on this list earlier. This is
the problem of getting the message "550 fchown: Not owner". Presumably this
is due to a bug in fchown in OSF/1 V2.0B. Does anyone now if a patch, or a
workaround, exists for this?

The other problem is minor, but annoying. I use the %N magic cookie in our
welcome.msg. It has always behaved nicely on other OS's but in this case it
has the constant value of -1. Does anybody have any idea why?

/L-G

---

From: Lars-Gunnar Olsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 1994 12:00:45 +0200

Since noone has answered this, I'm doing it myself since I have now solved
them both.

  > I have some problems with ftpd 2.4 under OSF/1 V2.0B. The first one is one
  > that has caught others, and which has been discussed on this list
  > earlier. This is the problem of getting the message "550 fchown: Not
  > owner". Presumably this is due to a bug in fchown in OSF/1 V2.0B. Does
  > anyone now if a patch, or a workaround, exists for this?

It certainly seems like there is a bug in fchown, DEC here in Sweden didn't
have anything on it though, so it probably hasn't been fixed (or even brought
to DEC's attention). The workaround I adopted was to change the fchown call
back to the chown call as it was in the 2.3 code. This included dropping at
least on line of code. Since I don't know for sure why the change was made in
the first place I would really like to know if there are any potential
problems, securitywise or otherwise, with this. Perhaps I brought back the
race condition by doing it this way?

  > welcome.msg. It has always behaved nicely on other OS's but in this case
  > it has the constant value of -1. Does anybody have any idea why?

Blush. Forgot to make the /usr/local/daemon/ftpd directory, that's why.

/L-G