Subject: [220] Re: [212] How do I ...

From: [email-masked] (Clayton S. Ferner)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 22:26:26 -0600 (MDT)

Thanks for the suggestions Pat.  But I'm afraid it's still isn't quite going
to work.  I will probably have to execute an external command anyway, but, 
you see, I have to get a string from the user who isn't realy logged into my 
machine.   If I send a reply to the user asking for a description of the 
file they want to upload, somehow they have to answer it.  The user could be 
using ftp or fetch or who knows what.  They may not be able to send an 
arbitrary line of text down the socket to answer my reply.  (Or maybe there 
is and I just don't know it yet.)  I will probably find some cockamamy way 
of accomplishing the same thing, but I was hoping someone would have an 
elegant solution.  But thanks for trying.  Any more ideas? :-)

clayton

On Wed, 27 Jul 1994 13:24:47 -0700 (PDT),
thus speaketh [email-masked] (Patrick Salsbury):

>	Would that be a job for the _PATH_EXECPATH directory in /bin/ftp-exec?
>Perhaps you could write some sort of script which prompts the user and writes
>each answer into a log file of some sort...
>	Just general ideas. I'm not sure of the particulars as to how to go
>about doing it...
>
>	Hope this helps!
>
>Pat
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>	  Patrick Salsbury 				VisionWare
>Technical Support/System Administration        4500 Bohannon Dr., Suite #280
>	Voice: 415/325-2113		   	   Menlo Park, CA 94025
>	 FAX: 415/325-8710		     X/UNIX/PC Integration Specialists
>
>
>
>
>-I've installed ftpd and everything is working great.  But before I allow
>-users to upload files, I would like to prompt them for a brief (1 line)
>-description for each file they are sending.  Does anyone have any 
>-suggestions for how this might best be done?  I can't see how a user 
>-would be able to answer any reply I would send.
>-
>-Thanks,
>-clayton
>-
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>-| Clayton S. Ferner     |                                                   |
>-| Dept. of Mathematics  |     "Make sure your code 'does nothing'           |
>-|    & Computer Science |      gracefully."                                 |
>-| University of Denver  |             --- Brian Kernighan                   |
>-|                       |                                                   |
>-| [email-masked]     |                                                   |
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Salsbury)
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 1994 07:20:48 -0700 (PDT)

-Thanks for the suggestions Pat.  But I'm afraid it's still isn't quite going
-to work.  I will probably have to execute an external command anyway, but, 
-you see, I have to get a string from the user who isn't realy logged into my 
-machine.   If I send a reply to the user asking for a description of the 
-file they want to upload, somehow they have to answer it.  The user could be 
-using ftp or fetch or who knows what.  They may not be able to send an 
-arbitrary line of text down the socket to answer my reply.  (Or maybe there 
-is and I just don't know it yet.)  I will probably find some cockamamy way 
-of accomplishing the same thing, but I was hoping someone would have an 
-elegant solution.  But thanks for trying.  Any more ideas? :-)
-
-clayton
	How about asking them to upload a small decription file which tells
what their other uploads are? ;^)

Pat