Subject: [47] More on possible security problem?

From: James Ford <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 1994 13:51:30 -0600 (CST)

>I am using wu-ftpd-2.4(1) on an AIX v3.2.5 system.  I am having no problems
>with anonymous FTP....however, it seems that "real" users who are not
>members of the group "system" are able to get files owned by *.system with
>a chmod of 0640 (-rw-r-----).  Example:

I've tried some more experiments.....the problem also existed on my system 
with v2.3 of wu-ftpd also.....my ftpaccess file has nothing in it pertaining 
to any type of groups.....(ftpaccess file shown below)

Could someone else who is running wu-ftpd on an AIX system see if they can 
duplicate my problem/results?  Thanks...

---------------------------ftpaccess file -----------------------------
loginfails 3

class   local      real,guest,anonymous *.ua.edu 0.0.0.0
class   remote     real,guest,ftp,anonymous *

deny    INFO.TAMU.EDU  /u/ftp/logs/anonGopher.deny
deny    vixen.cso.uiuc.edu /u/ftp/logs/anonGopher.deny
deny    world.std.com /u/ftp/logs/anonGopher.deny
deny    evo10.evo.uidaho.edu /u/ftp/logs/anonGopher.deny

#limit   remote     150 FiMo|Any1645-0745    /u/ftp/logs/msg.toomany
#limit   remote      50 Any                  /u/ftp/logs/msg.toomany

readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

banner  /u/ftp/.message                    login
message .message                       cwd=*
email   [email-masked]

compress        yes             remote local others   
tar             yes             remote local others   

# allow use of private file for SITE GROUP and SITE GPASS?
private         no

# passwd-check  <none|trivial|rfc822>  [<enforce|warn>]
passwd-check    rfc822  warn

log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound

shutdown /usr/local/etc/ftpd/shutmsg

# all the following default to "yes" for everybody
delete          no      guest,anonymous         # delete permission?
overwrite       no      guest,anonymous         # overwrite permission?
rename      no  guest,anonymous     # rename permission?
chmod           no      anonymous               # chmod permission?
umask           no      anonymous               # umask permission?

# specify the upload directory information
upload  /home/ftp  *             no
#upload  /home/ftp/pub/00uploads yes     jford   staff  0600 nodirs
upload  /ftp/pub/00uploads       yes     jford   staff  0600 nodirs
upload  /home/ftp  /bin          no
upload  /home/ftp  /etc          no

# directory aliases...  [note, the ":" is not required]
alias   inc:    /pub/00uploads

# cdpath
cdpath  /pub

# path-filter...
path-filter  anonymous  /etc/pathmsg  ^[-A-Za-z0-9_\.]*$  ^\.  ^-
path-filter  guest      /etc/pathmsg  ^[-A-Za-z0-9_\.]*$  ^\.  ^-

# specify which group of users will be treated as "guests".
#guestgroup ftponly