Subject: [35] Re: [24] Multiple anon-ftp admins

From: [email-masked] (Diego Martin Zamboni)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 08:00:22 -0600 (CST)

[Shane M Zatezalo said:]
> 
> Anyway, I'd like to let a normal user administer the files/directories.
> (such as move files from the incoming directory to the proper directory).
> 
> How does one go about setting this up?

I can think of two alternatives (more may exist):

1. Give the "ftp" account a password and give that password to the
   user that will administer it. This way he/she can "su" to the ftp
   account and make any changes needed. This may introduce some
   security problems, though, if the password is easy to guess or is
   somehow compromised.
2. Put both the ftp account and the user who will administer it in the
   same group (you could create an ftp group) and give all the files
   in the ftp hierarchy owner and group write permissions. This way,
   he/she could make changes without even su-ing to another account.

Hope this helps.

-- 
 Diego Martin Zamboni         Depto. de Administracion de Supercomputo
 [email-masked]   DGSCA, UNAM, Mexico. Tel. (5)622-85-29
 WWW home page: http://www.super.unam.mx/~diego/