Subject: [44] Re: [40] Time errors in log file

From: Charles Wiles <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 1994 12:11:46 +0100

> Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 13:35:50 +22294909 (EDT)
> From: [email-masked] (Rob Parry)

> I've just got wu-ftpd up and running and I noticed all the times in
> the log file are ahead of what they should be by 4hrs - anybody have
> any thoughts??

As suggested in reply [42] this is because the times are being recorded
in GMT (which is what Unix systems really work on).  If you want times to
be represented according to your local time zone, you need to ensure that
the localtime file is put in the correct place under the chroot'd anonymous
ftp environment.  For example, under SunOS 4.1.x create the directory
~ftp/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo and copy the file /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/localtime
into it.  (Under Solaris 2.x I think it may be a little more convoluted,
though I'm not sure, but it's the same principle).  Other systems (eg OSF)
tend to make life easier by putting the timezone files in /etc/zoneinfo, but
the file you want is still called localtime.  If you can't work out where
the timezone files are on your system, try looking at the end of the zic(8)
man page.

This is an FAQ -- IMHO it really is about time the WU people included better
installation instructions with their ftpd, or at least compiled an FAQ
list and included that.  This mailing list is not a suitable alternative,
as newcomers have no idea what has been discussed previously.

The server is good, though, chaps!  I don't wish to seem ungrateful... :-)

	regards, charles
 ____________________________________________________________________________

  Charles Wiles, Systems Manager,               [email-masked]
  { Physics Practical Course (NeXT)                Tel. +44-(0)865 273450 }
  { Particle and Nuclear Physics (Sun/DEC)         Tel. +44-(0)865 273320 }
  Nuclear & Astrophysics Laboratory,
  Dept of Physics, University of Oxford,
  Keble Rd, OXFORD OX1 3RH, UK.                    Fax. +44-(0)865 273418
 ____________________________________________________________________________

---

From: [email-masked] (Duc Duong)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 1994 11:20:03 -0400 (EDT)

> the timezone files are on your system, try looking at the end of the zic(8)

I just check on my SGI machines.. and we don't have that zic man page
or /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo..etc.. So what else that the ftpd look
for?? on SGI there is a file /etc/TIMEZONE which represents the
correct date for that machine.. I tried to copy it over /etc/ but it
still doesn't work. The time is still messed up by 4hrs..

> as newcomers have no idea what has been discussed previously.

I agree.. We need and FAQ for this group. The Installation instruction
is not that clear..

dduc

---

From: Dave Sill <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 1994 11:54:40 -0400

You need to reboot the system after modifying /etc/TIMEZONE.

-Dave