Subject: [ANNOUNCEMENT] WU-FTPD Development Group
From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
To: WU-FTPD Discussion List <[email-masked]>
Cc: Stan Olan Barber <[email-masked]>, Oliver Billmann <[email-masked]>, Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>, Frank Cusack <[email-masked]>, Jacques Distler <[email-masked]>, Scott J Ellentuch <[email-masked]>, Alain ENOUT <[email-masked]>, Cristian Gafton <[email-masked]>, Eilon Gishri <[email-masked]>, Coranth Gryphon <[email-masked]>, Roger Hanke <[email-masked]>, Koos van den Hout <[email-masked]>, Wakui Kazuhiko <[email-masked]>, Ted Keller <[email-masked]>, Ayamura Kikuchi <[email-masked]>, Kazuyoshi Komine <
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 12:00:00 -0500 (EST)

The WU-FTPD Development Group is now forming.  The goals of this group,
until modified by the group, shall be to:

 - serve as a central clearinghouse for all information concerning WU-FTPD
   and related software and documentation;

 - foster future development of the WU-FTPD software in particular, and the
   FTP protocol in general;

 - elminate dependence upon a single person for corrections and
   enhancements to the software and its documentation;

 - stop subdivision of the user base by merging the various efforts into a
   single effort.

Recent discussions, both private and public, has convinced me the time has
come for a change in management of the Washington University FTP Daemon,
and its many derivatives variously known as wu-archive, wu-ftpd, wu-ftpd-vr
and BeroFTPD.

Bernhard, I and several others have, for some time now, been working toward
this goal.  The most visible results of our work have, to date, been the
stream of updates Bernhard and I have produced.  Less visible has been our
work on the formation of an open development group to manage future
development of the software.

Last year I registered the domain names 'wu-ftpd.org' and 'wuftpd.org' and
Kent Landfield began work on servers to host the group.  In the interim,
Kent was pulled away by other tasks.  As a result, I took on implementation
of the servers.  To be honest, my work load has not allowed me to have all
the services in place I have planned.  Enough services are ready, however,
that the group may begin work while the remaining tasks are completed.

The following Internet services are currently online or planned for the
near future:

 - ANONCVS.WU-FTPD.ORG (not implemented)

 - CVS.WU-FTPD.ORG (90% complete)

 - FTP.WU-FTPD.ORG (80% complete)

 - WWW.WU-FTPD.ORG (not implemented)

 - MAIL.WU-FTPD.ORG (90% complete)

These servers are currently provided by the VRnet Company as a public
service to the Internet community.  As such, I reserve final authority as
to which services are provided, their configuration and maintenance, and
all security issues.

Due to security measures on the current servers, there are five levels of
membership in the WU-FTPD Development Group.  Once the group is up and
running, these may change.  In decreasing security privilege these are:

 Host Admins
 -----------
 These are the persons responsible for the actual hardware and software
 providing the services.  Having SSH-root access these users have complete
 authority and access to all facets of the servers.  At his time, this
 group consists soles of VRnet staff members and is unlikely to change so
 long as the servers are hosted at VRnet.

 The following entities are host administrators:

   [email-masked]
   [email-masked]
   [email-masked]
   [email-masked]
   [email-masked]

 Group Admins
 ------------
 These are the persons responsible for the creation and deletion of users
 on the group's servers.  These users have SSH-root privileges on the
 servers they administer; their privileges are resticted to those functions
 necessary to their jobs.  At this time, the only server allowing Group
 Administration is CVS.WU-FTPD.ORG; other servers will be added to this
 list as they are completed.

 The following persons have Group Administrative rights on CVS.WU-FTPD.ORG:

   Bernhard Rosenkraenzer
   Gregory A Lundberg

 Other administrators may be appointed by the group.  The Host Admins may
 veto an appointment on the grounds of past security problems involving the
 appointee, but otherwise must honor the group's decision and grant
 administrative access in a timely fashion.

 Full Members
 ------------
 These are members having full access to the servers.  At this point, this
 primarily mens they have commit rights on CVS.WU-FTPD.ORG; other full-
 member privileges will be added as the servers are completed.  These
 privileges are granted by the creation of an account for the member on the
 servers by the group administrators.

 During the initial formation period, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer and Gregory A
 Lundberg are issuing invitations to people who, for various reasons, they
 feel should be members of the WU-FTPD Development Group.  Once a
 sufficient number have joined, the group is expected to adopt its own
 procedures concerning membership and the rights and privileges of members.

   Stan Olan Barber <[email-masked]>
   Oliver Billmann <[email-masked]>
   Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
   Frank Cusack <[email-masked]>
   Jacques Distler <[email-masked]>
   Scott J Ellentuch <[email-masked]>
   Alain ENOUT <[email-masked]>
   Cristian Gafton <[email-masked]>
   Eilon Gishri <[email-masked]>
   Coranth Gryphon <[email-masked]>
   Roger Hanke <[email-masked]>
   Koos van den Hout <[email-masked]>
   Wakui Kazuhiko <[email-masked]>
   Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
   Ayamura Kikuchi <[email-masked]>
   Kazuyoshi Komine <[email-masked]>
   Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
   Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
   Albert Lunde <[email-masked]>
   Hamish N Marson <[email-masked]>
   Lee McLoughlin <[email-masked]>
   Steven C Neighorn <[email-masked]>
   Nathan Neulinger <[email-masked]>
   Bryan D. O'Connor (email address unknown)
   Scott Parmenter <[email-masked]>
   Chad Price <[email-masked]>
   Jordan Ritter <[email-masked]>
   Michael Schmidt <[email-masked]>
   Phil Schwan <[email-masked]>
   Guy J Speier <[email-masked]>
   Stefan Vogel <[email-masked]>
   Al Walker <[email-masked]>
   Ian Willis <[email-masked]>
   Auteria Wally Winzer Jr <[email-masked]>
   Alex Yu <[email-masked]>

   The order above simply alphabetical.  We have attempted to list those
   who we felt have contributed significantly to the daemon over the past
   and are sure we missed a number of people we intended to include.  For
   that we beg your undertanding and humbly appologize.

 Members
 -------
 These are members who, for whatever reason, have chosen not to accept
 accounts or privileges on the various servers; or have had those
 privileges revoked.  The distinction here is privilege on the servers; the
 group will decide what other rights members may have.  The idea is that a
 member of the group may choose to have email privileges, yet not accept
 cvs commit privileges.

 Non-Members
 -----------
 Non-members have no special privileges on the group's servers.  Anonymous
 access to some of the servers is permitted non-members.  The group will
 determine the anonymous access rules for mailing lists and the servers.