Subject: ANNOUNCE: mod_ssl 2.3.7

From: "Ralf S. Engelschall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 13:59:56 +0200

This is one more bugfix version to stabilize 2.3. Beside a few minor fixes, it
provides the major rewrite of the DBM session cache expiry operation which
should solve the problems (segfaults and/or high CPU load) which occurred with
some vendor DBM libraries. All users who had DBM-related problems are strongly
encouraged to upgrade to this version.

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [email-masked]
                                       www.engelschall.com

  Changes with mod_ssl 2.3.7 (14-Jul-1999 to 25-Jul-1999)

   *) Optimization for logfile handling: We now short-circuit the
      filedescriptors for inherited logfiles in order to save filedescriptors.
      This is important for mass virtual hosting situations where we really
      have to reduce the resource consumption. 

   *) Enhanced the DBM-based SSL Session Cache:

      o the cache DBM files are removed on shutdowns and restarts now
        to prevent the occurance of DBM inconsistencies over long runs.

      o the DBM store operation now stores only data which has
        sizeof(key)+sizeof(data) < 1024 to make sure some broken vendor DBM
        libraries do not segfault on large entries.  Only with the built-in
        SDBM library up to 8KB are stored.

      o the expiry procedure was rewritten to prevent problems with
        less smart DBM libraries: Instead of iterating and deleting in
        parallel (which causes some DBM libraries to become totally crazy) a
        two pass approach is used. In the first pass the DBM library is
        scanned and expired elements are remembered only. In the second pass
        the rememebered elements are actually deleted.

   *) Fixed SSL mutex handling: the mutex file was not removed on shutdown.

   *) Fixed global shared memory pool handling in alloc.c: The shared memory
      related temporary files of MM were not removed because ap_mm_destroy()
      was missing on exit.

   *) A few adjustments anf fixes to the FAQ and added hint to OpenSA
      to INSTALL.Win32.

   *) Fixed ``SSLRandomSeed exec:..'' for OS/2 and Win32.

   *) Fixed shared memory pool handling in alloc.c:
      Two realloc() calls were not shared memory aware.
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
Official Announcement Mailing List          [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]