Subject: ANNOUNCE: mod_ssl 2.4.5

From: "Ralf S. Engelschall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 14:33:59 +0200

Ok, after two versions which failed to compile under some nasty Linux
flavors, this one should work fine also for the Linux community.
Beside the usual bugfixes for a stable version like this, I've also
incorporated some small improvements. For details see the CHANGES
entries below.

As always, you can fetch mod_ssl 2.4.5 from the following locations:

   http://www.modssl.org/source/
    ftp://ftp.modssl.org/source/

Now I've to went back to learning for my last (the forth of four) diploma
exams which is "celebrated" in mid October... ;) 

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [email-masked]
                                       www.engelschall.com

  Changes with mod_ssl 2.4.5 (28-Sep-1999 to 01-Oct-1999)

   *) Now ``make certificate'' displays a warning message if one generates a
      DSA certificate with it to make sure the user is aware of the fact that
      a DSA-only webserver is currently useless because the popular browsers
      do not speak DH-based ciphers. A hint is given that a DSA cert/key pair
      is only useful in _combination_ with a parallel configured RSA
      cert/key pair.

   *) Enhanced the pass phrase dialog: Now ``Server <host>:<port> (<algo>)''
      is displayed instead of just ``Server <host>:<port>'' and the
      ``SSLPassPhraseDialog exec:/path/to/program'' is called with arguments
      ``<host>:<port> <algo>'' instead of just ``<host>:<port>'' to allow the
      distinction between RSA and DSA keys both to the user and to the
      program.  This is important, because a single virtual host can use both
      a RSA and a DSA cert/key at the same time.

   *) Added pre-configured (but commented out) SSLCertificate[Key]File
      directives to conf/httpd.conf-dist which explains the use of the
      additional DSA cert/key.

   *) Now the default for SSL_SDBM is 'yes' on Linux boxes because it occurrs
      too often that Linux boxes with broken DBM libraries are used and people
      are wondering why their session cache operations segfault the server. If
      you really want to use the vendor DBM library on Linux you now have to
      use --disable-rule=SSL_SDBM. But I recommend you to use SDBM except
      you know what you're doing.

   *) Fixed typo in FAQ: SSLSessioCache -> SSLSessionCache.
   
   *) Enhanced the logging facility: First the "Connection to child x"
      messages now also contain the client IP address, second every
      logfile entry now has a prefix which contains also the process id in
      addition to the time. This way it's easier to identify logfile entries
      written by different processes.
   
   *) Fixed ssl_engine_vars.c: SSL3_TXT_RSA_IDEA_128_SHA was contained twice
      in a table. Instead the second occurrence should be
      SSL2_TXT_IDEA_128_CBC_WITH_MD5.

   *) Fixed the `union semun' situation for SSLMutex again, this time for
      brain-dead anchient Linux versions which have incorrect semctl(2)
      prototypes. We now enable IPC semaphores only on glibc 2.1 boxes.
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl)                   www.modssl.org
Official Announcement Mailing List          [email-masked]
Automated List Manager                            [email-masked]