Subject: Linux Bible Money
From: "Michael K. Johnson" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 23:07:11 +0000

I apologize for the delay in dealing with money matters.  I had
to seek some counsel on the matter; the business banker I
talked to had no experience with anything like what we are
doing, where there is no formal organization and no required
royalty payments.  It's not as simple as it sounds.  However, I
think we are all set, as soon as Matt's check for the first
printing of the Linux Bible reaches me.

I never received a copy of the second edition of the Linux
bible, so I have been forced to trust Olaf's count of pages.
Not that I don't trust him anyway, but I probably would have
independently verified his numbers since it is my job.
Fortunately, when I took on this job I made the condition that
my decisions would be considered final, so no one can
complain...  Also, some money will be kept back to cover my
expenses.  Not my time, but the costs of checks, postage, and
other such real expenses.  That was another of the requirements
that I made before taking this job.

As soon as Matt's check reaches me, I will be sending mail to
everyone who is owed money.  The mail message will state the
amount that you are owed, and you will be allowed to choose
what to do with it.  The options will be:
 1) A check in US dollars for the entire amount.
 2) A check in US dollars for a fraction of the amount,
    a fraction of the amount to the Linux International General Fund,
    and a fraction of the amount to the Linux International
    Development Grant Fund.  You get to decide the fractions, but
    I won't send out individual checks for less than $10.
    Any of the fractions may be 0/n (i.e. $0).
 3) A wire transfer for the entire amount, minus a handling charge.

You will need to send me your mailing address or wire transfer
information in response to that message in order to receive
any money.

I will post again to this mailing list when I have completed
sending everyone their notification that money is owed them.
Anyone not responding within a month of that notification
automatically donates half of the total owed them to the LIGF
and half to the LIDGF. This, and the post notifying that I have
mailed everyone, will be sufficient notice that this will
happen -- you have been warned.

I apologize again for the delay.  Now that we have
infrastructure (such as it is) in place to handle this, I
expect future distributions to be much more timely. Your
patience and tolerance is much appreciated.

michaelkjohnson