Subject: khg 0.6, finally
From: "Michael K. Johnson" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 22:34:20 +0000

Well, I'm finally releasing 0.6 of the KHG.

I'm also changing the way it will be done.  There will be more
details later; the readme is included here, as is my grand
plan for the KHG.  Both are in the tarchive on tsx-11.

Take a look at tsx-11:/pub/linux/docs/LDP/khg-0.6*

I'll announce publicly soon.

michaelkjohnson

--------8<--------khg-0.6.README
This is the Linux Kernel Hackers' Guide, Alpha version 0.6.
It may be of use to device driver writers and those writing extensions
to the proc filesystem, and possibly to others as well.  Please send
me ([email-masked]) all comments, as noted on the cover page.

Please note that this is the last release of the monolithic
KHG.  It is being transformed into a collection of papers.
If you are interested in participating, please send me email
and tell me what you are interested in.

Improvements over version 0.5 include more coverage of writing
device drivers, the beginings of a tour of the kernel, and
many typos fixed.  There are probably other improvements that
I have forgotten.

michaelkjohnson
--------8<--------

--------8<--------GRAND.KHG

    The Grand Plan for the Linux Kernel Hackers' Guide
    ==================================================
	(a.k.a I woke up and realized that
	 I can't do it alone...  :-)

In the past, I have tried to closely edit the KHG and control
it.  At first I made progress, but it is probably painfully
obvious to everyone that as I found a job, and then another,
that although I am almost able to keep up with a basic
understanding of most parts of the kernel, keeping the KHG
up-to-date isn't really possible for me.

Therefore, Version 0.6 is the last release of the monolithic
KHG for the forseable future.  Perhaps when someone offers me
$500,000 to finish it off I'll take a leave of absense from
Linux Journal and work on writing a monolithic, 3000 page
tome that for one or two days might actually become
up-to-date.  In the meantime, I am moving to a distributed
project.

I will coordinate (and edit as I have time) a set of papers
about various aspects of the Linux kernel.  This will be
offered via the World Wide Web, as well as in postscript and
DVI format, and even (for a fee, from Linux Journal and any
other interested party) on paper.  Most people reading
this document will be familiar with the Linux HOWTO
documentation effort; the new KHG will be somewhat like a
Linux Kernel HOWTO series.

Anyone interested in working on this project should contact
me, [email-masked]
--------8<--------