Subject: Re: HOWTO maintainer needed
From: [email-masked] (Matt Welsh)
To: Linux Documentation Project writers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 1995 20:03:26 -0500

Terry Dawson <[email-masked]> writes:
> I've held off replying to this in the hope that someone else would
> but since I haven't yet seen a reply to it I guess I'll have to volunteer
> after all. I would be happy to do the latter part, doing the archiving.
> I don't have enough hard drive to do the first, I can't even install Tex.

Lars Wirzenius has also half-volunteered, and it might be possible for you,
he, and Paul to work together. Of prime importance is the ability to
"rdist" (or otherwise easily update) files on Sunsite, directly to the
FTP and WWW file spaces set up there. If this is difficult for any of
you, I can arrange to mirror the HOWTOs from a "source" FTP site nearer
to you, but it's more difficult to update the WWW files in this way.

So, what do you all think? Can we talk about what you want to do and
the technical details? As I said before it might be easier for one
person to handle submissions and updates---this includes updates of
current HOWTOs in ASCII and SGML, as well as handling the details of
adding new HOWTOs to the tree. (A well-known e-mail alias might be
the best thing for this, in case the maintainer changes in the future.)
Once the HOWTOs are formatted, actually archiving them is rather 
automatic, but you could coordinate in another way to have someone 
do the archiving and posting. As I have things set up now, "make"
will post the new HOWTOs only as they are updated. 

Let me know what you think; we can take this into private email if
necessary!