Subject: Missing man page references
From: Lars Wirzenius <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 1995 13:53:49 +0300 (EET DST)

I don't have any ideas for missing manual pages, but the request reminded 
me of one thing that has occasionally annoyed me:

It is sometimes somewhat difficult to find the correct page.  Sometimes 
this is because the names by which man(1) searches the page do not 
include the "intuitive" name by which I'm searching it.  Many pages are 
known by many names (e.g., if open(2) and close(2) were combined to one 
page, the page could be known by both names).  I sometimes stumble upon 
pages where one or more of the potential alternate names are missing.  
Alas, I haven't made any note about which pages they are (I'm not even 
sure they're part of the LDP pages).  Perhaps someone eager could go 
through all our pages and check that all the references are there?

Another thing that would be nice is a mechanism by which it would be 
possible to find a page via other than the explicitly listed names.  
This, however, needs to be done in the browser.  Something like a "man 
-k" that searches through the whole page, not just the NAME section.

-- 
[email-masked]  (finger [email-masked])
Publib version 0.5: ftp://ftp.cs.helsinki.fi/pub/Software/Local/Publib/