Subject: [[email-masked]: Re: Another view of the LDP vs. Yggdrasil/FSF religious war] (fwd)
From: Terry Dawson <[email-masked]>
To: Linux Documentation Project writers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 19:09:32 +1000 (EST)

Forwarded message:
>From [email-masked] Fri Jul 14 18:18 EST 1995
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 01:17:57 -0700
From: "Richard M. Stallman" <[email-masked]>
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [[email-masked]: Re: Another view of the LDP vs. Yggdrasil/FSF religious war]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
Content-Type: text
Content-Length: 2149

Here is the second message.  The one that follows is the first.

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 17:07:09 -0700
From: "Richard M. Stallman" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked], [email-masked]
cc: [email-masked]
In-reply-to: <[email-masked]> (message from Vince Skahan on Sun, 9 Jul 1995 21:53:48 -0700 (PDT))
Subject: Re: Another view of the LDP vs. Yggdrasil/FSF religious war
Reply-to: [email-masked]

		  That shows the FSF's typical
		  arrogance and 'religious fervor' that gives

The FSF sticks to certain principles and cannot cross certain lines.
We are working toward a certain goal--a complete software system that
people can redistribute and modify--and so we do the things that lead
toward this goal.

People decide their own goals.  Some people think the GNU goal is
important; some think it is a waste of time.  The people who agree
with the GNU goal have always been a minority, but we work on it
anyway.  We ask people to help; some do, and some don't.

Is it "arrogant" for us to keep on working toward this goal, as best
as we can, with the help of whoever chooses to help--even though some
people don't agree?  I don't think so.  We are entitled to decide our
own goals, just as you are.  Choosing one's goal and sticking to it is
not arrogant.

    Guys, there's lots of bad blood between Matt and Adam/Stallman.

I'm surprised that you speak of "Adam/Stallman" as if Adam and I were
a unit.  That isn't accurate--Yggdrasil and the FSF don't have very
close ties.  Perhaps you are ascribing to me or the FSF things that we
were not actually involved in.

I don't really know what's been happening between Matt and Adam, but
Matt and I were not angry in the past.  I talked with Matt about
changing the LDP distribution terms, but there was no hostility in
that discussion.  That was over six months ago; we haven't had much
interaction since.