Subject: Re: LaTeX2e license
From: Dragan Cvetkovic <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 13:49:49 +0200

[email-masked] (torsten martinsen) writes:
> I also find it regrettable that the LaTeX2e authors forbids anyone to
> reuse their code. I believe this will discourage users from writing new
> package files, because everything needs to be rewritten from scratch.
> 
	I am not sure I understand your problem. The main advantage of the
new LaTeX is that you don't have to write everything from scratch. In
"\LaTeXe for class and packages writers" (clsguide.tex in your
distribution) you can also find the following:

---------- extract from clsguide.tex ------------
One of the largest differences between \LaTeX~2.09 and \LaTeXe{} is in
the commands used to write packages and classes.  In \LaTeX~2.09,
there was very little support for writing |.sty| files, and so writers
had to resort to using low-level commands.
 
\LaTeXe{} provides high-level commands for structuring packages.  It
is also much easier to build classes and packages on top of each
other, for example writing a local technical report class based on
|article|.
--------- end of extract ------------------

see also the example of the local letter class based on a letter class.

	Or am I completely out of the point ????

		Regards, Dragan

-- 
     Dragan Cvetkovic,                  | To be or not to be 
     [email-masked] (or)              | is true. Or maybe not.  
     [email-masked]            |      G. Boole