Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 94-3-7-2:9
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 1994 06:45:19 +0300

Topics:
	 Linuxdoc-SGML v1.0 released

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Matt Welsh)
Subject: Linuxdoc-SGML v1.0 released
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 1994 00:23:47 +0300

I have uploaded Linuxdoc-SGML v1.0 to sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/Incoming.
It is also available on ftp.cs.cornell.edu:/pub/mdw.

Linuxdoc-SGML is a text-formatting package based on SGML (Standard 
Generalized Markup Language), which allows you to produce LaTeX, groff, 
and plain ASCII (via groff) from a single source. HTML and texinfo support 
are forthcoming; due to the flexible nature of SGML many other target formats 
are possible.

This system is tailored for writing technical software documentation, 
an example of which are the Linux HOWTO documents. However, there is nothing
Linux-specific about this package; it can be used for many other types of
documentation on many other systems. The name is simply derived from its
use for the Linux HOWTO documents. It should be useful for all kinds of 
printed and online documentation.

For an example of documents produced by Linuxdoc-SGML, FTP to 
sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats. You can also 
look at the URL
	http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/linux.html
which has HTML formats of the Linux Installation and Distribution HOWTOs,
produced using Linuxdoc-SGML.

Linuxdoc-SGML is based on James Clark's sgmls parser, and the QWERTZ
DTD by Tom Gordon. Magnus Alvestad provided the current HTML support (which
is not yet complete). Everything else is my fault. :)

I would like to see the Linux HOWTOs converted to this format, so,
HOWTO writers should pick up this package, try it out, and let me
know what you think. I hope that others who are faced with the 
dilemma of producing multiple documentation formats from a single
source will find Linuxdoc-SGML a good place to start. As the system
evolves there will be several other target formats supported, so it
just might be the solution to your needs.

Please mail comments, questions, and bug reports to me: [email-masked].

Thanks,
mdw

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------