Subject: Re: LDP documentation and the FSF
From: [email-masked] (Matt Welsh)
To: Lars Wirzenius <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Matt Welsh), From:[email-masked] (Matt Welsh), [email-masked] (Olaf Kirch), [email-masked], [email-masked] (Larry Greenfield), [email-masked] (Karl Fogel)
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 1994 16:54:38 EST

Lars Wirzenius <[email-masked]> writes:
> 2. Using Texinfo is not an option, at least for me: very awkward markup
>    notation, lousy hardcopy.  (Automatic conversion to Texinfo I have
>    nothing against, of course.)

I agree. I'd like to be able to convert to texinfo, so that the GNU folks
can use it, but I don't think that using texinfo as the base language is
the best idea.

> 3. Using SGML, HTML, or some other notation is not an option for me
>    either, at this time: I have no tools, and no time to install or
>    learn such.  However, experimenting with other formats is a good thing,
>    and after others have done it, I'll be happy to follow.

I'm going to start looking at SGML. Once I have it all worked out, I
can write up a short tutorial (it looks quite easy), even get a Linux
binary distribution of the software you'll need.

It looks like the HOWTOs are going to move to SGML, so that will be
my guinea pig. :)

> 3a.  My primary goal is writing a book; on-line documentation is a
>    secondary goal.

Same here.