Subject: Re: Some comments
From: [email-masked] (Kai Harrekilde-Petersen)
To: Linux Documentation Project writers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 16:01:33 -0500

Terry Dawson writes:
> Just as a sanity check, how many of the rest of the HOWTO authors get
> abusive mail relating to their documents ? I seem to have something
> approaching a 20:1 ratio of complaint vs useful feedback. Most of the
> complaint has been caused by people reading old version of the HOWTO.

Most of the mails (prob. 80%) I get about the ftape-HOWTO asks for help. The
rest gives me new pieces of info (e.g: new phone numbers to Conner or yet
another tape drive that works with ftape).

Actually, I've *never* received abusive mail about ftape and my HOWTO. Some
has pointed out problems / omitions etc, but all letters has been in a
friendly tone.

So, my junk:useful ratio of feedback must be zero to infinity ;-)

> I've gone close to sending some beg-mail to a notable couple of the
> linux distributors to make sure the last thing they get a copy of is the
> HOWTO files. Better in my opinion to have the documentation more up to date
> than the code. At least for the end user anyway.

I second this.  It's a pity for me to know that the new Linux Bible contains
a rather outdated version of the howto, when I has in the process of doing a
major revision.

Kai
-- 
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen  <[email-masked]>  Linux: choice of a GNU generation
>> Inside every little problem there's a BIG problem, struggling to get out <<