Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 94-1-5-19:35
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 1994 00:00:36 +0200

Topics:
	 Re: LDP documentation and the FSF

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Greenfie)
Subject: Re: LDP documentation and the FSF
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 1994 18:48:01 +0200

   RMS says that this is the next thing that they want to work on---they're
   working on a UNIX tutorial/"user guide" that would possibly be coupled with
   the fileutils documentation. He said that you and Karl, working on the LUG,
   should get in touch with him BEFORE you write the whole thing, because you
   can help each other.

I'll mail RMS and forward him a message or two, and report back...

   I think that the manuals will be the same, but may include more
   "reference-based" material---good indexes and cross-references to other
   GNU manuals. In any case, I like the idea of looking at texify and/or
   LoTeX as a first step into texinfo, so we don't have to write it
   necessarily. (Maybe tweak by hand.)

This would be an execellent idea in many ways, because it makes it easier
to split up the documentation. (Say an "X Manual" and a "Shell Manual", or
whatever.) The downside is, of course, you need more unwieldy hardcopy
books. (Intro to Emacs? Nope... You get the whole manual...) This has to be
done very carefully.

   I'm not looking for anything big right now. Just a way to get our work
   to fit in place with what the GNU folks are doing.

Not a bad idea.

Larry Greenfield
greenfie(ld)@gauss.rutgers.edu
        ^^^^ for better mailing, delete these characters

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------