Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 94-9-14-21:10
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 1994 04:28:46 +0200

Topics:
	 Re: Subject: sigaction() support? doc?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Al Longyear)
Subject: Re: Subject: sigaction() support? doc?
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 1994 11:39:37 -0700

Daniel W. Connolly <[email-masked]> writes:

>I posted this to comp.os.linux.development, but I got no response.  I
>plan to have something to contribute in return for this information,
>so I hope you don't mind this redistribution...

>p.s. Where can I find an up-to-date archive of the linux-activists
>mailing list? the one on tsx-11 only contains stuff up to Dec 1993.
>I'd like to keep up to date on the 1.2 release process.

I am not aware of any official archive of the linux-activists mailing
lists. There is one for the PPP channel. However, this is only because
I have maintained the archive.

(If you want it then it is on ftp.netcom.com:/pub/longyear/linux. If there 
is an archive of all of the development mail lists, then please let me know 
and I'll save the disk space on netcom. :) )

>------- Forwarded Message

>Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development,comp.lang.modula3
>Subject: sigaction() support? doc?

>I'm working on the Modula-3 runtime for linux, trying to get
>the VM-synchronized garbage collector to work.

>I started with the SPARC based code, which uses sigvec().
>The man page for sigvec() says to use sigation(). (There's
>no sigvec() symbol in libc...)

The posix signal processing is properly described in the Stevens book on 
"Advanced UNIX Programming". (It is published by Addison Wessley.)

>Hmmm.. the comments make reference to iBCS2 support. Does this
>mean I might find my answer in the ELF documentation?

No. ELF is not related to iBCS2. ELF is an object file format. iBCS2 is 
an environment, which may include object file formats. (Other 'foregin' 
environments which Linux supports are MSDOS and 'Wine'.) You will not find 
any definition of iBCS in the ELF documentation. Nor will you find the 
definition of ELF in the iBCS book. It describes COFF and X.OUT.

[To be precise, it is the SysV emulation which includes ELF as its object 
format. The iBCS emulator is close enough to the SysV code that the ELF and 
COFF and X.OUT and iBCS that it was all rolled together into one project.]

If you want the documentation for iBCS, there is a book by McGraw Hill and 
iNTEL which describes the iBCS specification. Its title is listed with the 
iBCS documentation in the source package on tsx-11.mit.edu.

However, the signal processing for iBCS is very much like the old System III 
UNIX. In addition, the signal numbers are different. Those are the primary 
changes.

>How about POSIX... I haven't checked there, but I can't imagine
>they specify this level of detail for sigaction().

Check out the Stevens book. It is not in-expensive. It is worth the price 
however.

-- 
Al Longyear               [email-masked]            [email-masked]
The public pgp 2.6 key is available by fingering [email-masked].

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------