Subject: Good news!
From: [email-masked] (Matt Welsh)
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 1994 17:26:23 -0400

I just got a call from Dan Irving at LSL. It seems that they've
just sold 11,000 copies of the new Linux Bible, which means
$11,000 of donations to us. 

Michael, I'll be getting in touch with you soon about how we
should deal with the funds.

Here's the plan: I'm going to get someone to send copies of the
LB to the addresses which I have received from you. At that time
we will do page counts and ask each of you to specify where
you want the money sent. We will have to retain portions of the
funds to pay taxes, I believe. Michael Johnson and I will try to work
out all of the details.

I'm thinking that with this much cash we should incorporate as
a non-profit organization, if possible. This will allow us
to have tax-exempt donations and be an "official entity" 
instead of a loose conglomerate with no legal foothold. After
all, the LDP check is in my name. If we incorporate, the LDP "as a 
whole" will own the donations and issues become much simpler.

For those new to this list: The Linux Bible contains the Linux
HOWTOs and all manuals from the LDP. Because we can't decide how
to split up the funds, what we will do is allocate a percentage
of the fund to each person based on page count. Each person
decides how they want to partition their share: E.g.,
give 50% to the FSF, 25% to the Linux International grant
fund, and keep 25% of it for personal use. That kind of thing.
Once we have all of the numbers we'll try to write checks
for everyone. Michael Johnson and his wife, Kim, have offered
to handle the bookkeeping for now.

Let me know what you think.

M. Welsh