Subject: Re: SSC pocket-sized references
From: [email-masked] (Greg Hankins)
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 1994 20:25:53 -0400

Matt Welsh writes:
>Bad idea. There are people in faraway places such as Tibet
>printing and distributing the HOWTOs. Requiring people to contact
>the authors, where e-mail access may be hard to come by, isn't
>a good idea.

Yes, it would make it harder.  But, I think they have those pen and paper
devices in Tibet, too.  As far as it being common knowledge that anyone
was distributing and printing HOWTOs, I didn't find out until the Linux
bible was printed that I was going to be in it...  I just saw SSC stuff in
LJ #6.  How do I get this common knowledge?

>Essentially, it should be taken as fact that the HOWTOs will be
>printed, published, and distributed in many forms without our 
>knowledge. Who cares? This is a good thing. Let's not make it
>more difficult for companies to do this.

Noone ever told me this, either, I had no idea anyone would ever print
the HOWTOs.  I guess I'm just suffering from the "huh?!" effect.
I'm not arguing against it, it's just that I didn't know, and noone
notified me like the copyright requests, which is almost rude IMHO.

The only reason I care, is because I want the most current and correct
information to be distributed.  

Greg

-- 
Greg Hankins ([email-masked])  |  Georgia Institute of Technology
Computing and Networking Services          |  College of Computing
+1 404 853 9989                            |  Atlanta, GA 30332-0280 
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/staff/h/Greg.Hankins/Greg.Hankins.html