Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 94-5-8-0:17
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 07:26:16 +0300

Topics:
	 Linuxdoc-SGML v1.1 now available

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Matt Welsh)
Subject: Linuxdoc-SGML v1.1 now available
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 1994 22:45:11 +0300

HOWTO writers---pick this up and use this instead of v1.0 from now on.
Not much has changed, but there are bug fixes and clarifications in
the documentation. There's also a <url> element which you may wish to use.

mdw

--
I have uploaded Linuxdoc-SGML v1.1 to sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/Incoming.
It is also available on ftp.cs.cornell.edu:/pub/mdw.

Linuxdoc-SGML is a text-formatting package based on SGML (Standard 
Generalized Markup Language), which allows you to produce LaTeX, groff, 
HTML, and plain ASCII (via groff) from a single source. Texinfo support 
is forthcoming; due to the flexible nature of SGML many other target formats 
are possible.

This system is tailored for writing technical software documentation, 
an example of which are the Linux HOWTO documents. However, there is nothing
Linux-specific about this package; it can be used for many other types of
documentation on many other systems. The name is simply derived from its
use for the Linux HOWTO documents. It should be useful for all kinds of 
printed and online documentation.

For an example of documents produced by Linuxdoc-SGML, FTP to 
sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats. You can also 
look at the URL
	http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/linux.html
which has HTML formats of many Linux HOWTOs, produced using Linuxdoc-SGML.

Linuxdoc-SGML is based on James Clark's sgmls parser, and the QWERTZ
DTD by Tom Gordon. Magnus Alvestad and Helmut Geyer provided the HTML 
support. Everything else is my fault. :)

Changes in Linuxdoc-SGML in Version 1.1:

	* Full HTML support is now there. See the information in
	  doc/guide.txt. 

	* Added a <url> element for embedded Universal Resource Locators
	  in SGML documents. See doc/guide.txt for details.
	
	* Added a <quote> element for quotations (like <tscreen>, but
	  without typewriter font).

	* Added name="..." argument to <ref>. This will allow you to make
	  cross-references within LaTeX, HTML, and nroff documents 
	  produced by the system. See doc/guide.txt for information on 
	  using this.

	* Fixed a number of formatting bugs. Too numerous to mention.
	  All Linux HOWTOs format well with this new version, so it's
	  apparently stable.

	* Included more information on special characters, etc. in the
	  User's Guide. Please read this section in doc/guide.txt.

	* Modified nroff conversion so that right margins are sloppy.
	  This actually looks better (no odd spacing between words 
	  when converting to ASCII). You can comment out one line near
	  the top of rep/nroff/mapping to turn this off.

Please mail comments, questions, and bug reports to me: [email-masked].

Thanks,
mdw

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------