Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-1-14-19:53
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1993 23:24:22 +0200

Topics:
	 Doc project coordinator

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Matt Welsh <[email-masked]>
Subject: Doc project coordinator
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1993 18:42:43 +0200

I was hoping that someone else would volunteer :) however, I talked to
mkj and he doesn't have time. So, I'll coordinate the doc project. I'll
find the time to do it--- I think at this point most everyone is taking
care of their own ends, and it shouldn't be too difficult.

Linux 1.0 is coming up on us, rapidly it would seem. And with recent
press coverage and more public approval of Linux, it very important that
we get documentation available as soon as possible. Now: the Install
manual should be done soon, but there's going to be a period of editing and
revision before it's actually available. The same thing goes for the other
docs. I know that most of us don't have time to write these manuals, but
I think that sooner or later they'll get done. 

Just as a recap, I'd like to see most (or all) of these docs use Michael
Johnson's linuxdoc.sty. This will make life a lot easier for me and for
othrs when we go through and revise the docs, so we don't have a million
new macros to learn. AND linuxdoc.sty looks great. :) Also note that whenever
the 3 "main" guides (the Install, Users, and Sysadms) are ready-- they'll need
to be synchronized in some way to avoid conflicting information. This applies 
to these 3 docs more than others, because they need to work together more 
closely than, say, the kernel hacker's guide needs to work with the Getting 
Started manual. 

I can handle that coordination, but of course when the time comes I'd really
appreciate some help. :)

Lars, can you send me any outlines/docs/e-mail addresses/other info that
you've been keeping track of? 

Also-- I'd like to hear from those who are writing/editing docs now just 
to get a rough estimate of how far along we all are. 

Thanks,
mdw

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------