Subject: Linux-Activists - Channel DOC digest. 93-0-21-15:23
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1993 20:29:36 +0200

Topics:
	 Re: Linux-Activists - Channel DOC digest. 93-0-20-6:14

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Michael Haardt)
Subject: Re: Linux-Activists - Channel DOC digest. 93-0-20-6:14
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1993 11:12:30 +0200

> From: [email-masked] (Steven S. Dick)

> I have proofread some of the man pages that are in tsx-11/docs/man/...
> I haven't gotten to the rik man pages yet.  I'll post more as I have time
> to proof read them.  I'll post fixes if someone else doesn't beat me to it
> first.

If you change things on your own, please send context diffs to:

  [email-masked]

> Also, none of these man pages mention POSIX.  Would it be useful to
> indicate if the item is a POSIX feature, a linux specific feature, or
> something borrowed from some other flavor of unix?

That is not standard for most UNIX machines, but I would appreciate it
too.  HP-UX has such a feature, I will look it up and update at least my
man page template.

>   4 tty   "mkdnode ... /dev/console..." when /dev/tty was meant

I rewrote tty.4 and console.4.

>   4 fd   What is the difference between fd?d??? and fd?D???  and  fd?[hH]???
>   4 hd   should say something about 1-4 are primary partitions, etc.

I know, these pages aren't great and it already got discussed how they
should look like.  I will change them when I find some time.

>   5 utmp some versions of getty also maintain wtmp.

I added this.

>   2 select -- should mention FD_ZERO, FD_SET, FD_CLEAR FD_ISSET

A lot more should be documented.  I am not too familar with the exact
semantics of select(2) and would appreciate getting better
documentation.

>   2 swapon   mention multiple swap files, swapoff
>   2 creat    max open files has changed; some constants not documented
>   2 fork     max processies has changed?

I have no informations about that :(

>   2 ioperm   has header for READ instead of ioperm; 'Bioperm' typo

Fixed.

>   2 termios  strange formatting in prototype section

Fixed, I also change the prototypes to ANSI.

>   2 dup      delete word 'either' in first paragraph under DESCRIPTION?

YES!

>   2 getegid  confusing sentences

Please provide diffs.

> empty man pages:
>   fcntl ioctl statfs ptrace select 

I know, but at least now the prototype is documented, and it is easier
for others to see what is still missing.  An execption is ptrace, I
found some documentation and will write a better page.

> missing man pages:
>   /proc  :-)

I have about no information about PROC(?), I see what is there but if
someone has some decent documentation it would be really nice.  Right
now *no fs at all* is documented.  Do you agree in using chapter 5?  We
still need MINIXFS(5), EXTFS(5), ISOFS(5) and PROCFS(5) then, their
structure, what include files define it etc.  I will look if I can find
some documentation on how other UNIX system document their fs and post it
when I find it.

Michael

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------