Subject: Linux-Activists - Channel DOC digest. 93-0-21-6:52
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1993 11:49:05 +0200

Topics:
	 LINUX Glossary, Dictionary, Cross Reference

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked]
Subject: LINUX Glossary, Dictionary, Cross Reference
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1993 08:08:37 +0200

The last few days there has been some fuzz about a LINUX Glossary.
And the continuous noise about the joint documentation effort (ready
any century now) hasn't died out.

END OF VAPORWARE: Here is the LINUX Cross Reference! Available now.
No TeX.  No troff.  Just 370 kilobytes of plain ASCII (120 kilobytes
when compressed), and still growing.  You can FTP it today

	FTP  ftp.lysator.liu.se
	USER anonymous
	CD   pub/linux/lysator
	GET  xref-0.007.Z	(version number will increase)

This is not part of Lars Wirzenius' documentation project.  I will not
allow anybody to vote me into LaTeX.  I will listen to your
suggestions, but this is my own project, and I make the decisions.
You can copy according to GNU's General Public License.

I am still working on this, so it is not complete, and it never will
be.  So far, I have covered all available man pages (in about as much
detail as in the whatis file) for LINUX, BSD and X Windows.  There are
notes on what is standardized in ANSI C and POSIX.1 and what is not.

Next, I hope to cover the comp.os.linux.announce newsgroup, to explain
terms like Seyon and whatever the various packages are called.  I also
need your cooperation: If you read the LINUX Cross Reference and find
things that are missing or wrong, I hope you will tell me.  My address
is <[email-masked]>.

Here, just to tease you, is a small sample of the format (it is a
simple subset of Emacs outline mode):

  * ldiv
  Library function (not in libc 4.1); declared in <stdlib.h>;
  standardized in ANSI C 4.10.6.2.  Return quotient and remainder from
  division.  See man page ldiv(3).
  * ldiv_t
  Data structure; defined in <stdlib.h>; standardized in ANSI C.  Return
  value from ldiv function.
  * less
  Command.  Opposite of more.  See man page less(1).
  * lesskey
  Command.  Specify key bindings for less.  See man page lesskey(1).
  * lev_comp
  Command.  Nethack special levels compiler.  See man page lev_comp(6).
  * lfind
  Library function; from System V.  In ANSI C and POSIX, you have to
  program this yourself.

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------