Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-11-20-17:22
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1993 21:19:55 +0200

Topics:
	 folding editor, try emacs!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Andreas Wehler)
Subject: folding editor, try emacs!
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1993 16:00:47 +0200

Hello, all.

1. I'm glad having found a folding editor and would like
   to multicast my gladness.

2. Origami (named with respect to the Japanese art of folding paper) 
   is a very nice folding editor, mostly compatible to emacs/vi/wordstar
   or what you want. Origami is ported to Atari, (MS-DOS?), UNIX, Amiga.
   Origami puts marks at the beginning AND at the end of text-blocks,
   which you can hide or show in many hierarchical levels. The marks are
   hidden to postprocessors for they appear in command lines. You can
   select the characters that introduce and end a command line.
   A main PRO against emacs (next point) is its short program length,
   ported to non-UNIX-systems for which emacs is too big.

3. The new emacs (Version 19.19) has major and minor modes called
   "outline-mode". Emacs only marks the beginning of text blocks.
   Emacs recognizes the commented headlines with a user settable 
   regular expression. The length of the matching expressions give the
   position within the hierarchical struct of the text. You may 
   set the regexs appropriate to find @section, @subsection and so on
   at the correct levels.
   Hiding/showing what you want is a VERY effective way to navigate
   through any text. Recommendation: try it. Read Emacs-info,
   time needed for reading/understanding/using: (70 +/-18) Min.

4. My personal setting in $HOME/.emacs:
   (setq-default outline-regexp ".[*]_[*]+")
   this gives headlines in many different text:
   /*_*          level 1, C-code
   (*_*          level 1, PASCAL-code
   {*_*          level 1, dito
   %*_*          level 1, (La)TeX-source
   %*_**         level 2, (La)TeX-source
   %*_***        level 3, (La)TeX-source ...

5. Perhaps there is a nice convention thinkable for OTF. (Matt?).

- Andreas.

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------