Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-10-2-16:56
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1993 22:49:16 +0200

Topics:
	 Re: press kit
	 Press kit/publicity kit
	 Re: Press kit discussion needed

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Dunbar)
Subject: Re: press kit
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1993 13:45:19 +0200

i dont know how this could fit into your framework but short profiles
of linux in `production use' would be interesting. e.g. Wittstein's
(spelling wrong) use in med.
  other users may profile vsli, misc x development, etc. (i plan on
using parcplace's OI/uib on linux to develop apps..not far enough
along to give a profile myself)
  if i was to do a profile it would be of how linux provides a very
nice environment for METAFONT development...nothing really specific
to linux here that other unix/x environments dont have cept linux
is free.
   thomas ([email-masked])

------------------------------

From: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Press kit/publicity kit
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1993 16:42:44 +0200

One thing that I forgot to mention about the press kit is that I
envision several differenct focii for the press releases, including
normal press releases, but also including publicity/informational kits
for hardware vendors and software vendors.  Perhaps we should call it
a "publicity kit" instead of a "press kit".

People who want to convince a software vendor to port something to
Linux could mail them an informational kit, and there are hardware
companies who would probably be interested in shipping Linux with
their hardware.  Some already do.

So, as food for comments, I have a few specific questions, for which I
need other answers than "money" and "volume", which I know already are
important:

1) What do you think of the idea of a "publicity kit"?

2) What issues and ideas interest the press in general, and the
   technical press specifically?

3) What issues and ideas are likely to interest a hardware vendor
   in offering pre-configured Linux machines, or to hawk their
   machines as "Linux-compatible"?

4) What issues and ideas are likely to interest a software
   vendor in a Linux port?

michaelkjohnson

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Karl Fogel)
Subject: Re: Press kit discussion needed
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1993 17:21:54 +0200

>From: <[email-masked]>
>I intend for these kits to at least contain a letter, and optionally:
> * A version of the INFO-SHEET
> * A version of the distribution-HOWTO
> * Other things that are thought up here, and which I think up.

        Since the readers of these magazines may wish to know why
Linux is useful, perhaps the script ought to ask about specific
applications and tasks that people were able to perform with Linux.
In other words, what did you actually get *done* with it.  This may
end up personalizing the press kit a bit, like those Powerbook
advertisements that show a single successful lawyer (or whatever),
with one column detailing all the data she has on her powerbook, and
how she uses it in another column.

        If the kit goes this direction (or has the potential to), then
it needs to prompt for name, profession, hobbies, etc, maybe.  Of
course, since so many Linuxers are students, it should make it clear
that "student" is a legitimate profession, and that "homework" is a
legitimate task! :-) Perhaps the output of the kit can be sent to
schools as well as magazines?  Don't mean to imply that the script
ought to be outputting an advertisement, but real usefulness is one of
the most important facts that a press release can talk about.

Karl

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------