Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-9-23-2:22
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1993 04:59:29 +0200

Topics:
	      LSD doesnot exist! Forget it!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Emilio Lopes <[email-masked]>
Subject:      LSD doesnot exist! Forget it!!!!
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1993 19:28:27 +0200

This is a sumary of what happened to LSD idea.

A couple of weeks ago I posted the idea of Linux Standard Distribution (LSD).
My idea was that *all* the linux community could discuss and get a
concensus about LSD. During this time I get a lot of messages from another
guys, giving their opinions about the idea.

The conclusion I extract from all posts: IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO (TRY
TO) MAKE A STANDARD DISTRIBUTION. Most of linuxers dont want it, so it
cant be.

A standardization can be a dangerous thing. It could be only valid when
it is done by **ALL** the community. Its necessary to
make clear that no one has the right of make a "private" distribution,
like SLS, MCC, Slack..., the standard. (Thanx for your comments Dan!)

Is being prepared a distribution called DEBIAN, which will be a "Hi Level"
distribution following some FS standard. This should solve the "problem"
of LDP, specially "Getting Started", as newbies problems, and others
problems.

Making things clearer: LSD *DOESNOT* exists, there is *NO ONE* working
on it. So, forget it!

---------------------------
 Emilio C. Lopes                      [email-masked]
 Physics Lab - UFPB -- BRAZIL         [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------