Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-9-13-21:25
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1993 01:31:33 +0200

Topics:
	      Linux Standard Distribution (LSD)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Emilio Lopes <[email-masked]>
Subject:      Linux Standard Distribution (LSD)
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 17:23:18 +0200

NOTE: This message is being sent to both DOC and NORMAL channels. My
      apologies if you receive two copies.

Well, Linux 1.0 is coming and the LDP (Linux Doc Project) wants
volunteers to write Linux Users Manual. For the success of Linux,
and specificaly LDP, I think that a Linux Standard Distribution is
extremaly necessary. This will make the things easier for the LDP.

While up to now Linux has been a "hacker" operating system, version 1.0
will be a "public" version (the first!) and this responsability increases
this necessity of a standard: we must have something to call "Linux".

I dont think it is a good idea to make SLS a standard. In my opinion,
SLS is not a well-organized distribuition. The Linux Standard Distribution
(LSD) must obey the Linux Filesystem Standard.

The base of LSD could be SLS, plus the inclusion  of some others goodies
and following Linux FS Standard!

What do you all think about?

---------------------------
 Emilio C. Lopes                      [email-masked]
 Physics Lab - UFPB -- BRAZIL         [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------