Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-9-3-2:11
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1993 06:57:51 +0200

Topics:
	 Re: <none> 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: <none> 
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1993 00:42:39 +0200

Alan McConnell writes:
>To summarize what most of you replied:  there is evidently
>very little traffic on this channel.  One of you expressed the
>hope that all participants are busy huddled over their keyboards
>writing documentation; let us hope that this is indeed so  :-)

Well, some of us have jobs, etc. too.  However, to assuage you, let me
notify you that since the latest public release of the KHG, I have
removed 10-20 pages and added something like 50.  I have more to do
before the next public release, but I am waiting until my current job
ends (in a month) to get down to serious work on this and other Linux
stuff.  Keep your shirt on... :-)

>But I am nonetheless surprised.  I had previously posted the
>following letter to the NORMAL channel:

   [post about press release deleted]

>In response to this, at least one person informed me that I shouldn't 
>trouble myself about this, it had already been thought of, and the 
>DOC channel was abuzz with preparations for the Great Day.  And now
>I've joined and find the channel somnolent!

Assuming it was my email that you were talking about, you are
misrepresenting what I said.  I don't think that I said that this work
was currently being done on the DOC channel, although it was started
here.  I have a list of poeple who have volunteered to distribute the
package to local media all over the globe, a draft has been written
and revised, and will be more so before the 1.0 release, and
volunteers collected.  It dosn't take a buzzing channel to get this
done -- in fact, news/mailing-list traffic level appears to be
approximately inversely correlated with real work getting done, as a
general usenet rule.

>Are publicity preparations going on elsewhere?  If they are
>could someone inform me where?  If they aren't, shouldn't they
>be?

They are going on, but nothing is happening *right now* because
there's nothing to do *right now*.  Please trust me -- just because
this isn't being discussed right now, and was started before you
thought about it doesn't mean it won't happen.  I am buying a laser
printer soon which will be used for my work on the DOC project, and I
will be spending a lot of money on the publicity stuff, at least from
my perspective.

If you have ideas for publicity, go ahead and voice them, and be
prepared to carry them out if people think they are good, and be
prepared for varying opinions.

What we currently have is a press release kit, including several
typeset packages of various information, which is appropriate for
release to the media.  I am also considering creating two similar
packets with different focii to mail to hardware and software vendors.
Again, this will happen as I have time, but the goal is to have it
ready by Linux 1.0.

Don't worry -- If you have been mislead into thinking that version 1.0
is coming *SOON*, you can relax.  It will come, but there will be
significant advance warning.

michaelkjohnson

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------