Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-9-2-20:59
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1993 03:17:30 +0200

Topics:
	 Re: "publicity preparations"

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Quinlan)
Subject: Re: "publicity preparations"
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1993 22:02:58 +0200

>>>>> Alan McConnell <[email-masked]> writes:

> [...] In response to this, at least one person informed me that I
> shouldn't trouble myself about this, it had already been thought of,
> and the DOC channel was abuzz with preparations for the Great Day.
> And now I've joined and find the channel somnolent!

(Translation: "The sky is falling and nobody noticed!!!", this is all
almost funny after I wrote the below comments and looked at what Alan
wrote again.)

Since the people who replied to you before failed to get the point
across, I doubt that this will, but maybe something a little more
public will transmit some amount of reason.

Well, most people subscribed to the DOC channel are concerned with
real problems, not numerology (one-point-oh-ism).  I don't believe
that you should trouble yourself (or anyone else, as you are) about
it.  This channel is dedicated to DOCumentation, not shallow matters
about publicity.

> Are publicity preparations going on elsewhere?  If they are
> could someone inform me where?  If they aren't, shouldn't they
> be?

Probably, but in any case - the job does not belong to you nor to me.
It belongs to the people who made Linux what it is, especially (and
obviously) Linus Torvalds and the other developers who have worked
years to get it to the current status.  (And anyway . . . would you
have involved *years* of your life without giving it a thought?  That
is, you simply worry too much about things that are other people's
business.)

Futhermore, it is not my place (or yours) to try to get involved in
such a "high-level" concern and there are much better (as I can
personally attest) places to involve one's self in Linux.  Namely, how
to make Linux a better operating system.

Sorry for posting about such matters to this channel.

 Dan

--
Daniel Quinlan  <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------