Subject: Linux-Activists - NORMAL Channel digest. 93-9-2-20:53
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1993 03:12:33 +0200

Topics:
	 Re: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-9-2-15:4

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Matt Welsh)
Subject: Re: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-9-2-15:4
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1993 21:37:59 +0200

> From: [email-masked] (Alan McConnell)
> 
> Dear Linuxians,  One hears from various sources that the day is
> approaching when Linux will emerge from beta and version 1.0 will
> be announced.  Has any thought been given to the opportunities for
> publicity that that occasion will give rise to?  I may be prejudiced,
> since I am an ardent Linux fan, but it seems to me that the "story
> of Linux" is an inherently appealing one, and the occasion of the
> emergence of Linux from beta-test and its "Release To The World"
> would be a great opportunity for us all to spread the Linux-gospel.

Michael Johnson and I were working on a press-release to send out to 
a number of UNIX and computing trade rags once v1.0 seemed imminent. 
We dropped the ball a few months back, as I remember... :)

In any case, we plan to finish writing up the press-release and would
like to have people mail us addresses of publications to send it to.
Anything is appropriate. People who are interested may wish to handle 
translating and mailing the release notice to non-English publications.

For the most part, v1.0 is just another kernel version: noone expects
there to be any surprises when 1.0 rolls along. However, to the bulk of
the computing world, "Version 1.0" carries with it a kind of actualization;
that is, the system isn't taken seriously until the major number is > 1. 
For this reason we're holding off the press release until v1.0.

Neither Michael nor I really have much time to spend on this release;
we have written it (needs updating) and would be appreciative if someone
would step forward and handle distributing it to the various magazines and
publications. 

Thanks,
mdw

------------------------------

End of NORMAL Digest
********************
-------