Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-9-2-15:4
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1993 19:14:46 +0200

Topics:
	<none>

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Alan McConnell)
Subject: <none>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1993 17:33:23 +0200

To the following kind souls:
David Fox, Martin Steed, Dennis Johnson, Cameron Spitzer,
William Hahn, John Richardson, Bob Manson, Marino Ladavac,
Wayne Huling, Martin Bligh, Andrew Tefft, Roberto Albani.

Many thanks to all of you for taking the trouble to reply to
my query, sent to the DOC channel, wondering why I had
received nothing since joining.

To summarize what most of you replied:  there is evidently
very little traffic on this channel.  One of you expressed the
hope that all participants are busy huddled over their keyboards
writing documentation; let us hope that this is indeed so  :-)

But I am nonetheless surprised.  I had previously posted the
following letter to the NORMAL channel:

Dear Linuxians,  One hears from various sources that the day is
approaching when Linux will emerge from beta and version 1.0 will
be announced.  Has any thought been given to the opportunities for
publicity that that occasion will give rise to?  I may be prejudiced,
since I am an ardent Linux fan, but it seems to me that the "story
of Linux" is an inherently appealing one, and the occasion of the
emergence of Linux from beta-test and its "Release To The World"
would be a great opportunity for us all to spread the Linux-gospel.

We musn't be too pure and holy to occasionally get down in the
trenches.  I'm talking press-releases, I'm talking international
coordination(Finland/Germany/USA/Canada/Australia/Japan, with
apologies to whomever I've left out<g>).  I conjecture that Linus
himself would very likely simply like to post a note to ANNOUNCE
stating that the diffs for 1.0 are available, and I agree that that
is aesthetically the way to go . . . but, again, this may be passing
up an opportunity.  What think ye?
---------end of previous post--------------

In response to this, at least one person informed me that I shouldn't 
trouble myself about this, it had already been thought of, and the 
DOC channel was abuzz with preparations for the Great Day.  And now
I've joined and find the channel somnolent!

Are publicity preparations going on elsewhere?  If they are
could someone inform me where?  If they aren't, shouldn't they
be?

Again thanks, and regards to all, Alan McConnell  
([email-masked])

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------