Subject: Linux Installation and Getting Started
From: [email-masked] (Matt Welsh)
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked] (Lasu), [email-masked] (Larry Greenfield), [email-masked] (Karl Fogel)
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1993 11:35:27 EDT

The Linux Documentation Project proudly presents...

               Linux Installation and Getting Started  
                 by Matt Welsh <[email-masked]>
                        v1.0, 5 August 1993

Finally, it's here. Linux Installation and Getting Started is a book
for anyone wishing to dive into the Linux world. It covers what Linux
is, how to get it, and how to install it on your machine. Also 
included is an introductory tutorial to using Linux for UNIX novices, 
and chapters on Linux system administration and advanced features of
Linux, such as the X Window System, TCP/IP networking, and more. 

This is the first official release of the book. All of the content is
there, but I would really like to flesh out certain sections and 
revise others. To do this, I need to get feedback and suggestions from 
readers. If you have any comments or questions please send them to me.

The book has been uploaded to:
	tsx-11.mit.edu    /pub/linux/docs/LDP
and
	sunsite.unc.edu   /pub/Linux/docs/LDP

It should show up in these directories once the FTP site admins
move it out of incoming.

The files are:

	install-guide-1.0.ps.gz
	   PostScript output, 150 pages. 
	   Should print fine on US letter or A4 paper.

	install-guide-1.0.dvi.gz
	   .dvi (device independent) TeX output. 150 pages.

	install-guide-1.0.txt.gz
	   Plain ASCII output. This is made available
	   mostly for previewing purposes; see below.
	   About 180 pages (66 lines per page).

	install-guide-1.0.tar.gz
	   Complete LaTeX source, including formatting macros
	   and style file. 

Yes! There is plain ASCII. The ASCII is slightly ugly; i.e., very
ragged right margin, no page numbers or table of contents, etc. 
The ASCII was generated with a combination of hacked-up LaTeX
macros, dvi2tty, and a couple of hours of manual editing. I strongly
suggest that you get the .dvi or PostScript instead; you can
view it with xdvi or GhostView if you don't have access to a printer.
The ASCII version doesn't include the BBS list appendix, the
vi tutorial, or any of the fancy figures. Most of the content is 
there, and it's readable, but it's not very pretty. The PostScript/.dvi
version of the book looks very nice in contrast.

I hope that this book helps people start using Linux. It is freely 
distributable by the terms listed below:

Linux Installation and Getting Started may be reproduced and distributed 
in whole or in part, subject to the following conditions:

Linux Installation and Getting Started is Copyright (c)1993 by Matt 
Welsh, [email-masked]. 205 Gray St NE, Wilson, NC, 27893 USA.

	* The copyright notice above and this permission notice must be
	  preserved complete on all complete or partial copies.

	* Any translation or derivative work of Linux Installation and 
	  Getting Started must be approved by the author in writing before 
	  distribution.

	* If you distribute Linux Installation and Getting Started in 
	  part, instructions for obtaining the complete version of this 
	  manual must be included, and a means for obtaining a complete 
	  version provided.

        * Small portions may be reproduced as illustrations for reviews or 
	  quotes in other works without this permission notice if proper 
	  citation is given.

	* The GNU General Public License referenced below may be
  	  reproduced under the conditions given within it.

Exceptions to these rules may be granted for academic purposes: Write
to Matt Welsh, at the above address, or email [email-masked], 
and ask.  These restrictions are here to protect us as authors, not to 
restrict you as educators and learners.

All source code in Linux Installation and Getting Started
is placed under the GNU General Public License, available via anonymous
FTP from prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/gnu/COPYING.

Please send me any comments or suggestions. I usually appreciate
general comments, instead of cdiffs, because they allow me to
rewrite the sections myself. Besides, if thirty people send me cdiffs
on the same section, I can't use them all. :)

Enjoy!
mdw

--
Matt Welsh, [email-masked]