Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-6-29-18:12
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1993 00:31:32 +0300

Topics:
	 [ANNOUNCE] More section 2 man pages
	 [MAN PAGE PROJECT] Public Release of Section 2 planned for mid-August

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Rik Faith <[email-masked]>
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] More section 2 man pages
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1993 17:45:28 +0300

Luigi P. Bai ([email-masked]) wrote the following man pages:

    shmctl.2 shmop.2 shmget.2 shmat.2 shmdt.2

I ([email-masked]) wrote the following man pages:

    bind.2 connect.2 flock.2 fsync.2 getdomainname.2 gettablesize.2
    getgid.2 getgroups.2 gethostid.2 gethostname.2 getitimer.2
    getpagesize.2 getpid.2 getuuid.2 idle.2 iopl.2 mount.2 progil.2
    setgid.2 setuid.2 sigvec.2 vhangup.2 vm86.2 undocumented.2

Note also that in the last week, I have touched almost every single man
page to bring them up to date wrt standardized formatting.  If you are
doing any man page development/editing, please get the new release.  See
the next message for more information.

Snapshot: ftp.cs.unc.edu:/pub/faith/linux/man.linux.29July93.tar.gz
Exploded tree: ftp.cs.unc.edu:/pub/faith/linux/man.linux

------------------------------

From: Rik Faith <[email-masked]>
Subject: [MAN PAGE PROJECT] Public Release of Section 2 planned for mid-August
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1993 18:03:17 +0300

DO *NOT* POST THIS INFORMATION TO COMP.OS.LINUX!

The first public release of the Section 2 Man Pages (system calls) is
planned for mid-August (when I get back from SIGGRAPH).

This is a preliminary announcement for *ACTIVISTS* *ONLY*.

DO *NOT* POST THIS INFORMATION TO COMP.OS.LINUX!

I'm cross posting to several channels because some of the man pages need to
be re-written or checked.

The following functions do not have a man page:

    break      stty gtty prof      ulimit setsid siggetmask
    socketcall klog ipc  sigreturn clone  syslog sigsetmask

    (signal needs to have an updated man page)
    (vm86 should be re-written by one of the MSDOS emulator folks)

The following functions have converted BSD man pages -- these need to be
checked and made Linux-specific:
    
    bind connect    socket listen accept   getsockname getpeername
    send socketpair recv   sendto recvfrom shutdown    setsockopt  getsockopt

A snapshot of all of the current Section 2 man pages is available from:
ftp.cs.unc.edu:/pub/faith/linux/man2.linux.29July93.tar.gz

If you want to write new man pages, please use any of the current section 2
man pages as a formatting example.  The de facto Linux formatting standards
(based on over 300 Linux-specific man pages) are described in
ftp.cs.unc.edu:/pub/faith/linux/man.linux/man7/man.7

If you update any man pages, I prefer uuencoded gzip'd tar files, but diffs
or straight nroff text are also acceptable -- the goal is to get the man
pages done and available for release ASAP.

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------