Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-6-19-11:32
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1993 19:22:58 +0300

Topics:
	 SAG format conversion

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Lars Wirzenius)
Subject: SAG format conversion
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1993 13:56:08 +0300

Hi!

I'm, finally, closing in on releasing a first alpha version of the
System Administrator's Guide.  This will be only about four chapters
that I have in some kind of shape (none of them particularly finished,
though).  I will be going away from the net in a few days' time (I'll
be back in September at the latest, with occasional contacts before
that), and I want to get this thing out before I go.

I will make this alpha release public, i.e. so that even people not on
the DOC channel will get access to it.  I asked earlier (much earlier)
whether people thought this was a good idea, and I only got positive
feedback.  The main benefit I expect is a much broader scope of
feedback (although hopefully none from people who get burned because I
don't know what I'm talking about).

A major obstacle is that I want to release the thing in multple
formats: the LaTeX source code, PostScript (possibly both for A4 and
whatever size the Americans use), ASCII, and, if possible, other
formats.  I can provide the source code (wow!) and a PostScript form
(I haven't touched the linuxdoc.sty file, so I assume it suits both A4
and the American paper size), but I do not have the time to install
software to convert the thing to ASCII, nor to do the conversion by
hand.

I ask, therefore, for help to do the ASCII conversion, and other
conversions as well if anyone can do them.  From the .dvi file, it
should be easy to convert things to Laserjet, Deskjet, Epson matrix
printers, and other printers, _if_ you have the software properly
installed.  As I said, I don't have time to install new software;
heck, I don't even have TeX installed on my own system (lack of disk
space), and will be doing the TeXing on the university's computers.  

If you can help with the conversions, please get in contact with me as
soon as possible.  Thank you.

--
[email-masked]  (finger [email-masked])
   MS-DOS, you can't live with it, you can live without it.

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------