Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-6-15-15:25
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1993 23:10:30 +0300

Topics:
	 Re: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-6-14-23:15
	 Re:  Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-6-14-23:15

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Matt Welsh)
Subject: Re: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-6-14-23:15
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1993 17:19:16 +0300

Well, Ian Jackson and I have been doing some talking about the 
Linux FAQ. What will probably happen is this: the Linux FAQ will
be mostly a list of (short) questions and answers to hit specific
problems. (Instead of the current model, where the Linux FAQ serves
to answer ALL questions about Linux.) The Linux FAq will contain
pointers to many other "FAQ" or "HOWTO" type guides which we will 
gather and maintain. These would be documents such as the GCC FAQ, 
SLS FAQ, NET-2-FAQ, and so on. I will probably also write an Installation
FAQ which covers what is currently in the FAQ section III in slightly
more detail (however I hope to release the IS&GS within a few weeks). 

So, essentially you have the right idea. The FAQ will serve to answer
specific questions and to give pointers to other docs which will go
more in-depth into certain topics. Once more plans are made we'll be
calling for volunteers to help... :)

mdw

------------------------------

From: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-6-14-23:15
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1993 18:03:41 +0300

>
>> Wouldn't it be easier to use LaTeXinfo, which is texinfo but with a native
>> language of latex instead of tex?
>
>This type of question is about as old as the DOC channel itself.:-) I hoped
>my texify tool would settle exactly this sort of argument once and forever.
>
>A
>To answer your question:
>No. The LaTeX-code uses a bit of TeX wizardry for nice formatting, which
>you don't have in texinfo (and I assume latexinfo doesn't have them, either).
>Conversion of latex code to texinfo does what I want (i.e. give me an
>ASCII version that I may further convert to roff, plain ASCII, etc),
>while the original Latex code still looks the way I want. With
>texinfo, you either have to accept its style, or leave it.

Actually, LaTeXinfo *does* allow this... it lets you define your own
formatting macros and use any amount of TeX wizardry. It lets you
choose the style very freely.

Well, I am not doing anything for the documents so I'd probably better
shut up now. I really don't want to start a flame war or accuse
anybody.

	Tjl

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------