Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-6-13-1:5
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1993 06:21:59 +0300

Topics:
	 ANNOUNCE: Upload of texify

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Olaf Kirch <[email-masked]>
Subject: ANNOUNCE: Upload of texify
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1993 00:34:32 +0300

Hi, everybody!

DOS-brain that I am! I just forgot to announce that I uploaded my
new texify tool along with the NAG to ftp.stolaf.edu. texify
may be used to convert LaTeX source to texinfo files. You can
find it at ftp.stolaf.edu:/pub/linux-doc/texify-1.2.tgz.

The README follows below.

Enjoy,
Olaf

--------------------- vut here ------------------------

This is TeXify, a very VDTI (very dumb tool, indeed) which
takes LaTeX source and trashes it until it looks a bit like
TeXinfo.

I wrote it to convert my LaTeX sources for the Network
Administrators' Guide to TeXinfo. It now does pretty much
of what I want it to do. However, it is quite buggy,
is awfully coded (The Author's Warning: Showing around
this package may seriously damage my job prospects :-),
and is not as flexible as I would want to have it.

To make it short, here's what it's capable of:

*       Converts quite a bunch of LaTeX commands to
        equivalent or similar TeXinfo commands.
*       Support of parameterized macros (i.e. \def\foo#1{...}).
        Not yet perfect. (I wasn't yet able to track down
        why empty macros come out as `emc233?').
*       Supports most of Michael K. Johnson's linuxdoc
        conventions quite well, some more, some less.
*       Processing of include files --- both \input
        and \include. However, does not recognize
        \includeonly.
*       Cross references. The usual \label and \ref
        commands are used, but apply to TeXinfo nodes
        rather than sections, now.
*       Has a number of specific macros that overlay
        the document with a GNU-info structure:
          \node         Start an info node
          \makemenu     Write out an info menu
                        Use of \node and \makemenu are
                        explained in the HOWTO file.
          \texi{foo}    Write @foo to the texinfo file.
          \texinclude   Verbatim inclusion of TeXinfo
                        files. (The command simply
                        produces an @include directive)
          \ifinfo .. \fi
          \iftex .. \fi Alternative selection of text
                        parts for LaTeX and TeXinfo. Text
                        between \iftex and \fi is simply
                        discarded, while text between
                        \ifinfo and \fi will be adorned
                        with `@ifinfo' and `@end ifinfo'
        When using these macros in a TeX file, make sure
        you have texify.sty somewhere where LaTeX can find
        it, and include `texify' in the \documentstyle
        directive.

Hope you're getting along with this tool. The next release
will have better documentation, and hopefully will be rewritten
from scratch. Yacc is really not the tool for grammars like
LaTeX's.

For an extensive example of texified LaTeX code, grab the
Linux Network Administrators' Guide from
        ftp.stolaf.edu:/pub/linuxdoc

Texify is Copyright by Olaf Kirch, 1993. You may copy, distribute
and modify under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

For comments/bug reports/suggestions etc., you may reach me at

        [email-masked]
        Olaf Kirch

--
Olaf Kirch      [email-masked], [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------