Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-6-10-8:31
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1993 14:26:55 +0300

Topics:
	 [ANNOUNCE] More man 3 pages available
	 [ANNOUNCE] Man page freeze (until 16 July 1993)
	 Uploaded new Networking Guide

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Rik Faith <[email-masked]>
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] More man 3 pages available
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1993 22:39:34 +0300

David Metcalfe ([email-masked]) has provided the following man pages:

    asctime.3       erand48.3       localtime.3     seed48.3        usleep.3
    ctime.3         getusershell.3  lrand48.3       setusershell.3
    difftime.3      gmtime.3        mktime.3        srand48.3
    drand48.3       jrand48.3       mrand48.3       strftime.3
    endusershell.3  lcong48.3       nrand48.3       tzset.3

Snapshot: ftp.cs.unc.edu:/pub/faith/linux/man.linux.09Jul93.tar.gz
Tree:     ftp.cs.unc.edu:/pub/faith/linux/man.linux

------------------------------

From: Rik Faith <[email-masked]>
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Man page freeze (until 16 July 1993)
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1993 22:42:31 +0300

Please do *NOT* modify any *EXISTING* man pages for the next week.  I want
to re-organize and review the existing man pages and will be making many
tiny changes to them.  There will be another snapshot created when I am
finished.

There will be other freezes in August as we prepare for a public release.

Thanks.

------------------------------

From: Olaf Kirch <[email-masked]>
Subject: Uploaded new Networking Guide
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1993 04:10:00 +0300

Dear Fellow Documenters!

Finally I'm able to present you with the long-promised new
edition of the networking guide. It took me so long to finish it
because I first wanted to have a working tool for LaTeX->TeXinfo
conversion, and then, connectivity to the states was abysmal, and
whatnot:-)

I've just uploaded it to St.Olaf's, from where you may grab it
as soon as Phillip has moved it out of the incoming
directory. It will be in /pub/linux-doc.

Yours
Olaf

------------------------- README -------------------------

Hi, all!

Having been unusually productive during the last few days,
I have now put together a new edition of the Linux NAG. I
have worked quite a bit on the TCP/IP configuration chapters
to conform to the current NET-2 release (what a futile attempt,
considering the pace of change! If `current release' means
`everything flows', well, then that's Linux :-). The main
news:

                ASCII SUPPORT IS THERE!!

This is due to my texify tool that I will upload to stolaf
along with this guide. I wrote it to turn LaTeX into
wine^H^H^H^HTeXinfo. It's far from perfect, and the source is
a real shame. However, it works reasonably well. Together
with texi2roff, I am now able to provide a number of mutually
exclusive formats;-): DVI, PostScript, texinfo, info files (!),
and roff source (ms macros). Choose as you like it.

What is the Network Administrators' Guide?
------------------------------------------

This is version 0.3 ALPHA of my networking guide for Linux.
I still call it an ALPHA release because NET-2 is still changing
so quickly; furthermore some chapters will need serious
rewriting. However, I feel that it's high time to release a
version of this (probably omitting the mail & news chapter)
to the public. Tell me what you think of it.

Features:
        * Includes an extensive introduction to TCP/IP
        covering the whole thing from the physical layer
        up to the application layer.

        * Covers NET-2 setup, including hardware setup
        (Ethernet, SLIP, PLIP), IP interface setup,
        and building of static routing tables with route(8).

        * Explains the most important TCP/IP applications
        along with their config files: inetd, tcpd, the r*
        clients, RPC, NFS, and FTP server setup.

        * Covers setup of Taylor UUCP (compiled for
        BNU configuration).

        * Explains basic concepts of email, and covers
        smail setup.

        * Setup of Cnews and assorted newsreaders

        * Has two fancy pictures :-)

        * TeXinfo and roff versions available.

Misfeatures:
        * The Guide still has gaping holes in some
        places: There is no sendmail documentation
        yet, no remote printing, no BOOTP setup, etc.

        * Both the mail and news chapter are still in
        an awful mess. 

        * Needs more pictures.

        * TeXinfo and roff versions don't look too nice.

        * The Linux logo is not yet in.

Networking Guide Distribution
-----------------------------

The NAG comes in a number of formats. You may either retrieve
the complete LaTeX source, or any preconverted version. They
may currently be found at ftp.stolaf.edu:/pub/linuxdoc.

nagsrc-0.3.tgz:         The complete source, together with the
                        files needed for generating the other
                        formats (except for the texify tool).

nagdvi-0.3.tgz:         DVI version

nagps-0.3.tgz:          Postscript version

nagtexi-0.3.tgz:        TeXinfo version. To convert it to info,
                        best use the latest TeXinfo release 3.1.
                        Quite handy for online reading, but do not
                        even think of trying to make a dvi file
                        of it.

nagroff-0.3.tgz:        roff version. This was generated from the
                        TeXinfo version using texi2roff. It is not
                        very satisfactory yet, but then, I've no
                        idea of roff. I converted it to use the ms
                        macro package, because the commands looked
                        vaguely familiar to me. To show it on the
                        screen, type

                         groff -mgs nag.roff | less

                        If you would like any other macro package
                        instead of ms, tell me. What really bothers
                        me about ms is that footnotes look so awful.

Source Notes
------------

The pictures in this book have been produced with xfig, and translated
to eepic/Latex input. You need the epic and eepic style files for this. 
Since they are not incorporated in the SLS release of TeX (at least not
the one I've got), I have included them here.

If your dvi printer filter doesn't recognize the graphic specials, you
may use the Postscript version. Either get nagps-0.3.tgz or convert the
dvi file to Postscript. Simply type 'make net.ps'. Note that this will
use dvips, because I know that dvitops does _not_ understand the eepic
graphics specials.

If this still won't work, you have to wait until I upload the FIG
versions of the pictures (I lost the FIG version of one of these
images :-() and convert these to Postscript as well.

The pictures are also there in the ASCII version. If you know what they
are meant to show, you can even see it.

Formatting now looks quite well in most places (thanks to
Michael K. Johnson's work!), but there are still a few overfull hboxes.
These come from {\tt very/long/file/names} and the like. They will be dealt
with once we have a fixed version.

Author's Blurb
--------------

Last not least, some personal words: As I said when volunteering
for this job, my knowledge of TCP/IP networking is a bit on
the theoretical side. On my Linux box, I do everything in loopback
mode, and in terms of UUCP connectivity, I only run a leaf site.
Thus I can't claim too much first-hand experience. So if you find
anything you think is wrong or ambiguous, don't hesitate to point
this out.

If you have suggestions/comments/complaints, mail me at
        [email-masked]
or      [email-masked]

Yours,
Olaf

Copyright Notice
----------------

The Linux Network Administrators' Guide is Copyright (C) by Olaf Kirch.
See the file COPYING for your rights in copying and printing it.

--
Olaf Kirch      [email-masked], [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------