Subject: Install Guide pre-pre-alpha release
From: [email-masked] (Matt Welsh)
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked] (Lasu), [email-masked] (Larry Greenfield), [email-masked] (Karl Fogel)
Date: Sat, 15 May 1993 16:33:12 EDT

I'm releasing a preliminary copy of the Install Guide for your perusal. A lot 
of things are missing: most notably Lars' chapter on system administration 
(hint, hint), Appendices A and D (working on this now), and the chapter on 
configuring other software. So far, it's 78 pages (including table of
contents, etc.). I imagine the first real release will be between 100 and
150 pages.

This is NOT for general redistribution: this is alpha. Do not announce
this on any of the newsgroups or mailing lists.

It should be on ftp.stolaf.edu:/pub/linux-doc/gs-0.5.2.tar.z (full source),
gs-0.5.2.dvi.z (.dvi), and gs-0.5.2.ps.z (PostScript). Don't panic if it's
not there when you read this: Michael has to move it out of incoming.

Essentially, I've been working on polishing up all of the release-independent
information in Chapters 1-3, and getting the SLS information up-to-date.
The other releases which I plan to cover are:
   * TAMU 
   * LGX (Yggdrasil CD-ROM)
   * MCC-Interim (?)
   * Linux/PRO (when it becomes available)
   * H.J. Lu's boot/rootdisk (thinking about taking this out)

Adding this information should be very simple; I just need folks who have
installed any of these releases to send me notes on it.

So what we have is the bare bones, chapters 1-3 are completely done, as
is the SLS information. What we need now is to finish the appendices, get
Lars' stuff, and add information on the other releases. In other words,
the most difficult part is over. (I hope.)

Larry and Karl are revising Chapter 4 (Tutorial on Linux), don't touch it.
Once they send me their completed version we can hack it to death. :)

No, this guide isn't perfect. But I think that even in this form it's better
than any other install docs out there. Please help me to revise it: read
through it and clean up the rough edges. The last time I actually installed
Linux was MCC-Interim 0.96, so all of you SLS folks out there, give me a 
hand. :)

Also, if you want to write any of the missing sections (on other releases,
etc.) please feel free. The main reason I'm releasing this now is so you
folks can help to fill in the gaps. Sending me cdiffs against the original
LaTeX source would be preferable. I'd like to make a real release sometime
early this summer. 

Thanks,
mdw

--
Matt Welsh, [email-masked]