Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-4-13-5:42
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1993 12:27:20 +0300

Topics:
	 Re: LDP manuals outline/format

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Matt Welsh)
Subject: Re: LDP manuals outline/format
Date: Thu, 13 May 1993 08:02:55 +0300

Just to clear up confusion, the "How to Write Documentation" was meant as 
a joke, to clear some of the air in here. :) My apologies for anyone who 
was confused (you know who you are). 

>From now on, I'm going to expend energy writing, instead of arguing about 
technical details. :) In short, Vince, Greg, and the others: we'll work
on getting some of the docs in ASCII for you to work on. However, we had
planned ASCII versions as an afterthought, *after* the LaTeX versions were
ready. Because it's quite difficult to generate ASCII from LaTeX source (as
has been demonstrated), it's actually *easier* just to learn the small
amount of LaTeX needed to edit the docs. You don't even need to install TeX
on your system: if you bounce us diffs against the LaTeX, we can fix any
problems with the formatting if you're unable to LaTeX it yourself. If that's
not good enough, I suggest you work on de-texing the docs (or whatever) 
yourself. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

If you have other concerns, please remember that it does bother us when we're 
flamed, because we do put a lot of work into these docs. We really are 
reasonable nice people, and I'm always open to new ideas (e.g. I don't set
any "rules"), but flames don't get us anywhere. For those of you who are 
unaware, this was the same kind of thing that caused Ross Biro to stop working 
on the TCP/IP code and leave the NET channel. I don't want to see the same 
thing happen here. Please keep that in mind when you express problems with our 
work. 

Thanks,
mdw

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------