Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-4-12-13:18
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1993 18:31:01 +0300

Topics:
	 Attitudes.
	 Re: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-4-12-4:59 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Blaine)
Subject: Attitudes.
Date: Wed, 12 May 1993 16:11:19 +0300

	1.  Linux is not for the faint of heart.  The DOC project seems
		to uphold this as well.  If you don't have a sense of adventure
		enough to read through LaTeX source because you can't seem to
		print it out for whatever reason, then IMHO you probably shouldn't
		be running Linux at all, rather some commercial package.  I mean,
		really, what has happened to "well, I can't get XXX to work, but
		I know I can at least page through the file and see how it works
		somewhat and maybe JUST maybe figure something out from it.  Or
		*gasp* learn something new from it." ?

	2.  The people working on the LDP have a lot to do.  They have lives
		(ok, some of them :) as well, and in their spare time they are
		trying to write decent documentation so that ALL linux users will
		eventually have something decent to refer to.  Rushing these people
		who are doing YOU a favor in any way whatsoever is really not
		helping anything out.  They don't have to write it.  They choose to
		help.

	3.  I know something has been posted about this already, but I just
		want to try and do my part to gear things back to more important
		topics, so, if you have a file ending in .tex, try the following:

		Grab disks t1 - t3 of the SLS distribution.
		Install	
		latex file.tex
			If that doesn't produce a file.dvi file then...
		tex file.tex

		You should now have a file named "file.dvi".  This is a device
		independent file.  If you don't have X11 installed, then you
		can't run xdvi to view it.  You can use the program dvips to
		convert this file to PostScript format.  If you don't know
		what to do with a ps file...well...

	4.  Let's get back to more pressing matters.

Just my $0.02, folks.

-- 
-------
C. Jefferson Blaine
[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Lar Kaufman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-4-12-4:59 
Date: Wed, 12 May 1993 16:33:59 +0300

I'm for a generous approach on the ASCII docs, if we can do
it.  How much work would it take to preformat ASCII output 
and store *.ASC documents?  Is storage space an issue?

-lar

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------