Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-4-7-19:57
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1993 01:25:43 +0300

Topics:
	 Re: Incremental publishing of docs

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Karl Fogel)
Subject: Re: Incremental publishing of docs
Date: Fri, 7 May 1993 20:10:11 +0300

Lars Wirzenius sez:
>Note that I'm not proposing publishing seriously unfinished matter.  I
>would only publish text that is supposed to be correct (both factually
>and from a language point of view).  I would only publish things after
>it had been "tested" by the DOC channel.  I compare this to the way

	Plenty of people are crying out for docs right now -- why not
give them at least part of what they want?  As long as each doc had a
notice on it to this effect:

	"This is the 'Linux Frobnobber's Guide, ALPHA Release
0.00001'.  ALPHA means that I don't guarantee anything in here to be
correct, or even to be harmless if it's wrong.  It is being released
before completion only because of perceived demand; use it at your own
risk.  If you find inaccuracies in it, *don't* mail me about them.
Instead wait until the next version of this document is released, and
if the problem is still not fixed, then, and only then, mail me about
it.

	G.L. ([email-masked])"

	It's understandable that we want to preserve our reputations
and not release shoddy stuff, but there's not much to worry about when
there's a notice on it like that :-) Let's hand them their heads --
and if they shoot themselves in the foot, no one can say we didn't
warn them (but if your doc mixes metaphors as badly as I just did,
it's not ready even for pre-ALPHA release...)

-karl fogel ([email-masked])

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------