Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-4-6-6:20
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1993 13:04:19 +0300

Topics:
	 Getting docs printed...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Michael K Johnson)
Subject: Getting docs printed...
Date: Thu, 6 May 1993 09:13:07 +0300

   Since there's been a lot of discussion recently about getting the
   linux docs published, I thought I should mention that a Prentice-Hall
   book saleswoman once said that Prentice-Hall has profitably published
   material such as this before and that they are always looking for
   more. Actually, her interest was stronger than this suggests: if the
   LDP is interested, it sounds like Prentice-Hall would very much like
   to get in contact.

   So, if the heads of the different projects are interested I can have
   someone from Prentice-Hall contact them or I can contact a representative here
   in Boston myself. 

Well, since the books will be under a pretty free copyright, anyone
will be able to print them.  I, of course, would like to see some
royalties from the ones that I do to come to me, and some go to Linus
(although I don't expect the royalties to amount to anything much),
but no one is *required* by the copyright to do that.

I'd like to see O'Reilly publish the "official" versions, if there is
to be such a thing, simply because they, being excited about Linux
themselves, have joined the LDP effort.  This would certainly not keep
PH from publishing their own version, but I'm not sure if they would
want to do that in competition with O'Reilly when the margins will be
so small.

Does that make any sense?  I like both ORA and PH, but ORA is active
here, and I (for one) am grateful for it.  We'll see what happens.
I'll shut up now.  I shouldn't be writing public mail messages after 1
A.M.  Goodnight.

michaelkjohnson

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------