Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-4-3-14:0
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1993 20:00:40 +0300

Topics:
	 glibc manpages already there? (Was: LPG possible organization)
	 Re: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-4-1-17:47 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Stephen Tweedie <[email-masked]>
Subject: glibc manpages already there? (Was: LPG possible organization)
Date: Mon, 3 May 1993 14:21:55 +0300

On Sun, 2 May 1993 23:45:24 +0300, [email-masked] (Michael K Johnson) said:

> The FSF is writing info pages for their glibc.  Ours is admittedly not
> the same, but it is close.  I don't know how much progress has been
> made, nor when they will be released, but it is a project that they
> have.

There has been a preliminary release of the FSF info-pages, which I just
happened to spot when browsing through the gnu mirror on
src.doc.ic.ac.uk.  It's available as glibc-manual-0.02.tar.z on over a
dozen hosts, according to archie.sura.net.  ftp.uu.net should have a
copy in /systems/gnu.

I haven't seen an announcement for it, though, so this is almost
certainly not an official release.  It is also certainly incomplete, but
does seem to contain a lot of useful stuff.  It is already 460K long,
compressed!

Cheers,
 Stephen Tweedie.
---
Stephen Tweedie <[email-masked]>   (Internet: <[email-masked]>)
Department of Computer Science, Edinburgh University, Scotland.

------------------------------

From: Lar Kaufman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-4-1-17:47 
Date: Mon, 3 May 1993 16:47:17 +0300

Michael K Johnson <[email-masked]> says:
> From: [email-masked] (Andy Oram)
>   As for format -- PostScript or whatever -- don't worry much about that
>   now.  We are slowly converting to SGML at O'Reilly.  We hope to write
>   filters that can translate back and forth between SGML and existing
>   mark-up languages (TeX, texinfo, and troff).  We have to do that to
>   produce our own books, so we can translate yours too.
>
>We are using LaTeX with a special style sheet.  If you can convert
>TeX, out format should be quite easy to work with.  I only suggested
>camera-ready or pre-compiled copy as an option to save you work and
>keep your costs down.  We'll see what happens when the time comes...
>(I'm using that phrase a lot, aren't I...)

Despite the importance of Standard Generalized Markup
Language (SGML, ISO 8879), there aren't many suitable resources
for becoming familiar with it.  Currently, the only one I can
recommend is "Practical SGML" by Eric van Herwijnen (Klewer
Academic Publishers, 1990) ISBN 0-7923-0635-X.

LaTeX is a highly structured macro package, and this makes
it relatively easy to convert to and from SGML.  That kind
of thing is part of my work here at ORA.  Since I'm also a
Linux fan, you can expect me to work on SGML tools that will
be useful for the Linux community.

-lar

Lar Kaufman, Documentation Tools Specialist            [email-masked]
O'Reilly and Associates, Inc.                          617-354-5800
90 Sherman Street
Cambridge, MA 01240 USA     "You can quote me on that." - anonymous

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------