Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-4-2-11:56
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1993 18:30:37 +0300

Topics:
	 Getting the books into print
	 glibc manpages already there? (Was: LPG possible organization)
	 LPG contents & other pre-existing books

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Ari Lemmke <[email-masked]>
Subject: Getting the books into print
Date: Sun, 2 May 1993 14:44:17 +0300

Thomas Koenig <[email-masked]>:
:Would it be possible to get the different Linux guides into print, once
:they have been completed?

	I'm trying to get Linux guides printed ;-) .. if I find
	a proper place to print the guides (inexpensive), so that
	it would be possible to sell US ~$5 a piece (~500 pages).

	arl

------------------------------

From: Thomas Koenig <[email-masked]>
Subject: glibc manpages already there? (Was: LPG possible organization)
Date: Sun, 2 May 1993 19:39:31 +0300

[email-masked] (Michael K Johnson) writes:

>I don't think we need to
>document glibc --- the FSF is doing that just fine --- but we should
>document linux-specific extensions.

Where can this documentation be found?  I think this is quite interesting
for the manpage project; it would really cut down the time we'd have to
spend on section 3 manpages.
--
Thomas Koenig, [email-masked], [email-masked]
The joy of engineering is to find a straight line on a double
logarithmic diagram.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Steven S. Dick)
Subject: LPG contents & other pre-existing books
Date: Sun, 2 May 1993 17:40:12 +0300

I have been hearing a lot on this list along the lines of "Here's someone
else's outline--we could use this as a potential LPG structure...", etc.

I think this is the wrong approach entirely.
I fully Support Michael K Johnson's approach here...

These other books & tables of contents should be a guide
as to what NOT to include.

In fact, I think that near the beginning of the book, it should LIST
the other books that describe the standards, and then proceed to describe
all the things that are different from and/or additional to the standard.

The LPG should NOT contain information from the POSIX Programmer's Guide,
except as a cross reference.  It should not contain things from the GNU
glibc manual, although this could be an appendix.

>From the table of contents posted, the APitUE is very similar to the
POSIX Programmer's Guide.  These two books probably have a very high
degree of overlap between them already.  We don't need to rewrite them
both again.

BTW: curses is NOT included in POSIX.  I think it would certainly be
appropriate to include in the LPG a description of the version of curses
that is included in the standard linux libc.

It may also be appropriate to put in a conversion guide to go from sgtty
to termios, but this is a POSIX issue, and it is lightly covered in
the POSIX Programmer's Guide.

	Steve
[email-masked]

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------