Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-3-30-0:23
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1993 06:37:50 +0300

Topics:
	 Re: [MAN PROJECT] More man pages available

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Rick Sladkey)
Subject: Re: [MAN PROJECT] More man pages available
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1993 03:06:48 +0300

There is a basic error in almost all of the man2 pages.  They say
"such-and-such system call returns -EACCES in such-and-such a case."
All the systems calls actually return -1 on error and set errno with
the error code.  I know it looks like they really do return negative
errno values when you look at the kernel source but this is actually
converted into -1 and errno values in the syscall library interface.

Here is how BSD man pages say it:

+-----
| Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned.	 Otherwise, a value
| of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate an error.
+-----

Rick

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------