Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-3-29-7:0
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1993 13:05:05 +0300

Topics:
	 Re:  Linux Programmers' Guide

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Zeyd M. Ben-Halim)
Subject: Re:  Linux Programmers' Guide
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1993 09:40:36 +0300

>I don't think that anyone is working on a Programmers' Guide.  If
>someone is, please tell me that I am wrong...

Not to my knowledge either, but it is a very good idea.

>If I am right, and no one is working on such a beast, I will start.
>There are a lot of overlapping ideas between this and the KHG, and so
>it will probably be most efficient for me to be editor and main
>contributor of both.  A little bit of the material in the KHG might
>migrate into a Programmers' Guide, and there are other things that I
>have thought about and wanted to write about that just haven't fit
>into the KHG.

The programming manual should concern itself with the external API of
Linux and refer to the KHG for internal details. I think the book
'Advanced Programming in the UNIX environment' by W. Richard Stevens
would serve as a good model as to what the PG would look like.
Due to my work with ncurses I guess I can contibute the chapter dealing
with Terminal I/O and a chapter on curses.

If people are unfamiliar with 'APitUE' I can post an outline, people can
pick chapters or sections they wish to contribute to.

>I assume that it could be refered to as the LPG, or just the PG.

No arguments here :-)

>I would regularly release alpha and beta versions of this to the
>public, because there is nothing like getting it into the hands of the
>people who would be using it to get the ideas that I would need.  At
>first, I would probably concentrate on documenting ways that Linux is
>different from most other *nices, and would then expand to be more
>complete, covering more and more aspects of programming for Linux.

>I would appreciate any help on this I can get...

>Any comments?

>michaelkjohnson

Zeyd

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------