Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-3-15-13:5
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1993 20:13:39 +0300

Topics:
	 splitting man(2) pages
	 DTC scsi adaptors

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Steven S. Dick)
Subject: splitting man(2) pages
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1993 15:12:16 +0300

Why are the man pages being split?

I *LIKE* read and write on the same page, because 99% of the time I read
the page for read, I'll be looking for the page for write right after it.

As to fcntl, I haven't seen the split pages there.  If you split references
to a single function, there should still be a page for that function that
refers to all the pieces.

Also, if you fragment a page, and end up with a bunch of pages all less than
20 lines, then splitting it was probably silly.  (This is where info with
subsections would have been better, but that's another argument.)

        Steve
[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Michael K Johnson)
Subject: DTC scsi adaptors
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1993 17:03:26 +0300

   > EISA SCSI Host Adapter.  Does anybody know if there is an
   > existing driver that I can use the card with for linux?

   I'm not familiar with the 3292, but I'm running a similar system
   with a DTC 3290 controller. The 3290 is an EISA SCSI host with
   caching and AHA1542 emulation. So, I run off the Adaptec 1542 driver
   without any troubles. It might be too much to assume that the 3290
   and 3292 are similar enough to both be 1542 compatible, but...

DTC uses the trailing number to indicate floppy support, or has on all
the other DTC adaptors I know.  I would guess that one of those
adaptors has floppy support, and the other doesn't.

   When you boot the a1 disk, check to see if the kernel detects any
   SCSI hosts. You should get a message like "1 scsi hosts detected"
   and "host 1 is an Adaptec 1542".

   If you get a "0 SCSI hosts found" and the parition table check
   fails, then I fear that the 3292 isn't compatible with the 1542.

Or that the BIOS signature is slightly different.  If it doesn't work,
contact the author of the Adaptec 1542 driver and give him your bios
identification string.  If you don't know how, he should be able to
help you out...  You just use debug and look around, and many adaptors
actually print out their ID string (or part of it) on bootup (bios
check, actually), so it isn't hard to find.

michaelkjohnson

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------